Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 PM

60 posts, read 219,248 times

Advertisements

Hello, My neighbor is selling his l997 Monte Carlo LS with 138,000 miles (mostly freeway miles), for $2,000. He has maintained the scheduled service and taken care of any repairs that it needed. Car was purchased new by him, and kept in a garage when not driven.. Should I be concerned about the mileage or hugh unexpected repair bills, especially the timing belt/chain? This has never been changed. Engine and transmission appear to be sound, and there's no leaks.

Would appreciate your feedback since I've never owned a Monte Carlo, but they seem to be liked by their owners. He's selling because he got a new car.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserttreasures View Post
Hello, My neighbor is selling his l997 Monte Carlo LS with 138,000 miles (mostly freeway miles), for $2,000. He has maintained the scheduled service and taken care of any repairs that it needed. Car was purchased new by him, and kept in a garage when not driven.. Should I be concerned about the mileage or hugh unexpected repair bills, especially the timing belt/chain? This has never been changed. Engine and transmission appear to be sound, and there's no leaks.

Would appreciate your feedback since I've never owned a Monte Carlo, but they seem to be liked by their owners. He's selling because he got a new car.

Thanks!
Sounds like the price is right BUT you will be spending money for repairs in the near future so figure this in

Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
You shouldn't be worrying about any timing belts or chains, because the 3.1L v6 in the LS has a chain with no scheduled interval. If that thing broke, your valves are gone and it wasn't meant to be, anyway.

That engine, like any other GM v6, is known to be bad on intake manifold gaskets. If the factory-issued plastic versions are still in place, that's going to be worth getting fixed.

I think only the z34 that year got the DOHC 3.4L v6 and that is an entirely different and finicky animal of its own.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 AM

I really appreciate your decisive comments, and will ask about the plastic gaskets. Thanks a bunch!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 AM

Although I would be buying this car from a neighbor, and he seems like the type who would take care of his cars, being an engineer himself, should I take it to a mechanic and have it checked out?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,157 times
Though I'm more of a Ford guy, I think GM makes an excellent sedan. I had two Chevy Luminas, one was a 93 and the other a 94 both with the 3.1 litre engine.

I took both of them north of 200,000 miles with no major problems.

Sounds like a pretty good deal for two grand. Like others have said, with a car that old with that many miles, you're gonna have some repair issues. You're still in better shape than having a monthly car payment though......

Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserttreasures View Post
Although I would be buying this car from a neighbor, and he seems like the type who would take care of his cars, being an engineer himself, should I take it to a mechanic and have it checked out?
If you want some extra peace of mind, yeah. I think you're alright, though. I wouldn't fret that much if as you say, most of the mileage is highway driving; such is a lot more easy going on the mechanicals compared to stop-and-go mileage of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC