Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 10:20 AM

41 posts, read 99,581 times

Advertisements

I have lights, radio everything. Newer battery. When I put key in ignition I get the normal chime till I close the door. Turn the key to on and all the lights and gauges come on like normal. Security light comes on a cycles off in 10 seconds like normal. When I try to start the truck I get no clicks no attempts to start and a horrendous long beeping noise coming from inside the truck. It lasts about 10 seconds after I pull the key out. The security light does not come on while the beeping is occurring.

I have not jumped it yet, but testing The battery with a meter shows it to be 100% fine. Testing with load (trying to start) does not change my voltage as the starter is not engaging at all.

Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 10:22 AM

41 posts, read 99,581 times
Also, I do not think my key is chipped. I had a cheap copy made at a hardware store 2 months ago that started my truck just fine when it was made.
I have disconnected the battery and will try again in an hour.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:26 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,611,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel1291979 View Post
I have lights, radio everything. Newer battery. When I put key in ignition I get the normal chime till I close the door. Turn the key to on and all the lights and gauges come on like normal. Security light comes on a cycles off in 10 seconds like normal. When I try to start the truck I get no clicks no attempts to start and a horrendous long beeping noise coming from inside the truck. It lasts about 10 seconds after I pull the key out. The security light does not come on while the beeping is occurring.

I have not jumped it yet, but testing The battery with a meter shows it to be 100% fine. Testing with load (trying to start) does not change my voltage as the starter is not engaging at all.

Help!!
Replace the starter. It's shorted inside.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:59 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,127,303 times
Is it in park?
and for grins try the original key instead of the copy.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:33 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,805,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel1291979 View Post
Also, I do not think my key is chipped. I had a cheap copy made at a hardware store 2 months ago that started my truck just fine when it was made.
I have disconnected the battery and will try again in an hour.
IF YOUR key was chipped, and you didn't code the new one correctly, it would have started once with it, and ran for about 5 minutes, then screws up your computer. You may have to take it back to the dealer and have your computer brain reset. There is a sequence you have to use to code your new key, something like, use original, turn it on, then off, then back to acc, then use second key, repeat and then put in the new copy and start the vehicle. Just my thoughts.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 PM

24,357 posts, read 22,914,491 times
I had a hardware store make a spare ignition key for my 99 chevy way back when it was just about new. I used it once to test it but its been kept in its hidden location in the car ever since then. Its just an emergency spare key in case I ever lose the one on the fob. It cost me 30 bucks with the ignition chip.
I'll check the manual but I don't remember reading about a routine you have to use. Is this a more recent new security technology?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC