Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times

Advertisements

Well it ant so.. Its another BS problem that shouldnt be there. Ignition problems are never minor because they can get you killed......might be minor to you but not to the woman who may be trying to escape from a mugger and then cant crank the car......or the family stalling out while turning in front of a truck....case and point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 AM

568 posts, read 2,419,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Well it ant so.. Its another BS problem that shouldnt be there. Ignition problems are never minor because they can get you killed......might be minor to you but not to the woman who may be trying to escape from a mugger and then cant crank the car......or the family stalling out while turning in front of a truck....
I was never worried about a mugger when my car had this issue and a bad ignition switch isn't going to cause a car to stall while driving.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Well it ant so.. Its another BS problem that shouldnt be there. Ignition problems are never minor because they can get you killed......might be minor to you but not to the woman who may be trying to escape from a mugger and then cant crank the car......or the family stalling out while turning in front of a truck....case and point.
"Case in point" any and all cars have problems from minor to major. If you bothered to read the links I posted, each of those problems was a 2005 Camry (supposedly God's gift to automotive reliability) with a similar issue to the one the OP was talking about. The root of the issue in each was related to either the security system or corroded electrical connections.

You've insisted on bashing GM now in several threads over what amount to very minor issues on cars that are 8+ years old. The kinds of minor issues that I have repeatedly demonstrated are common on all older cars. There is plenty to be critical of GM for, but get your head out of your rear, a faulty security module at 8 years old is nothing major and you are making it sound like the whole friggin car fell apart when it drove off the lot.

If we want to talk about major issues how about all of the Tacomas that have rusting frames and are literally breaking in half? I'd be much more concerned about that then a faulty security module.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:32 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,500 times
Well, good luck with that answer. Intermittent starting problems on Chevy's are pretty well documented. We have a Silverado (and live in Phoenix, too). Driving around, stopped, shopped and got in - all the lights came on but no one was home. Back and forth with the key MANY times. Didn't figure the battery since the dash lights were fine - but, if I recall correctly, the gauges were non-op. Finally figured the battery so I called AAA but just before hanging up the truck started. It has done that several times over the course of the last year - more than several actually. Some people point to the ignition switch. Others say it's a problem with the key communicating with the computer. My husband's solution was hold the key in the cranking position until the darn thing fired up. Doesn't seem to be getting worse and seems to have fixed the problem - at least for us.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:18 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
I would rather put a honda hub cap under my arm and walk rather than be seen ridin in some GM junk... I got my pride...

Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
I would rather put a honda hub cap under my arm and walk rather than be seen ridin in some GM junk... I got my pride...
You've got something all right...

Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,825 times
I am having the same problem with my 2005 impala I was late for work today, this is the 2nd time it happen to me, I don't want to be left stranded on the highway am scared.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,321 times
I have a 2005 chev impala that will not start, I got a new battery for the car and it still won't crank, then on the msg center it read SECURITY, what should I do.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:02 PM

568 posts, read 2,419,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodie55 View Post
I have a 2005 chev impala that will not start, I got a new battery for the car and it still won't crank, then on the msg center it read SECURITY, what should I do.
From earlier in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
...On the '00-'05 Impalas, the ignition switch is a weak point. I went through this exact thing with my '00 Impala. Replace the switch and your problems will be over. Until then, when it happens that your car won't start, like thriftylefty said, turn the key on and let it sit for about 10 minutes until the Security light stops flashing. Then turn the key off and then try to start the car again.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,225 times
My 2005 Impala over the last several years has left me stranded at the most inconvenient times. I get the occasional security light and sometimes get the dreaded security lockout. Turning the key to start and nothing happens.
I learned that most of the time, Unplugging and plugging back in the 3 plugs on the body control module usually resets it and the car will start.
When the BCM commands a security lockout, The PCM starter enable voltage and Fuel pump run voltage are both not present.
I purchased a Newrockies Starter bypass module which claims to end the security lockout problem. I installed as per the instructions. Did NOT fix the problem, still had security light and lockout. I decided to return the Newrockies module for a refund and try to come up with a bypass circuit on my own.
Using a basic 12 volt automotive relay, I was able to bypass the PCM and apply a start voltage directly from the Ignition key switch to the start enable relay.
Fuel pump enable relay requires 12 volts from the PCM to pin B3 (85) to cause the fuel pump to run. I used a time delay relay to enable the fuel pump for 5 seconds when the key is turned on. Once the engine is started, I used a signal from the oil pressure switch to keep the fuel pump running through a basic 5 pin automotive relay. Loss of oil pressure will kill the fuel pump.
The parts required are one 4 pin automotive relay, one 5 pin automotive relay, a time delay relay 5 or 10 second delay, 3 diodes and some wire.
Contact me at demboness@verizon.net for more information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC