Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times

Advertisements

I recently went round and round with Cadillac looking for a car for one of my aunts who hates car shopping, yet wanted to move to something with an American name. The ATS was okay, but I'd still take a 3-series over it. I am not diminishing the ATS, though, as it is a strong competitor in that segment, and quite a turnaround from the laughable entry-level Cadillacs of yore.

The CTS has been around for several years, and is pretty common. While the CTS-V sedan has power, and some decent features, it was overkill for a car that is garaged within New York City. It heralded the change in Cadillac, though in my opinion the XTS was a step in the wrong direction as it is the rental/fleet queen and would have been much better as a Buick.

The Escalade has some good features, but the styling is so overdone in my view. I am never comfortable driving one, because it's just so ostentatious, even in basic black, yet has some features not available on the Denali or Suburban. And, I have not cared for either version of the SRX, but, then again, I am not their targeted Lexus RX customer, either.

In the end, a Cadillac was not purchased, though I do not run from them when I get them at the rental counter, yet prefer other vehicles most times. There's no Cadillac that I would buy over another brand, though they do offer an alternative under an American name for some who may not want the competition.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 12:39 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,270,687 times
The CTS and especially ATS have really changed things.

I really like the ATS for what it is. But I too have the sense that it's a brand still for old people.

It will take a few more years to shake that, along with more solid cars and perhaps an identity of performance.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:09 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
The CTS and especially ATS have really changed things.

I really like the ATS for what it is. But I too have the sense that it's a brand still for old people.

It will take a few more years to shake that, along with more solid cars and perhaps an identity of performance.
I definitely disagree here. I think they are a brand for a younger thinking 35 to 58 year old who has both disposable income and discernment. I thought the Cadillacs with pillowed velour interiors and complete isolation from the road were for the geriatric set.

I think they turned the corner on their market segment quite a while back. I'm just not a fan of their grilles, side profiles, and high trunks. If a car doesn't look attractive to me, I don't care how cool or how competent it is.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM

265 posts, read 597,142 times
One of the reasons for alpha-numeric names instead of actual names is that it forces you to use the brand name. When someone asks what kind of car you have, chances are you won't say CTS, you'll say Cadillac or Cadillac CTS.

The Caddy names make some sense... the higher in the the alphabet, the nicer the car. ATS, CTS, XTS. Audi's cars all start with A (A4, A5, A8) and SUVs start with Q like the Q5 and Q7.

The one that makes no sense at all because they're all so similar is Lincoln. Not sure who thought of those!?!?!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM

17,253 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.mensch View Post
One of the reasons for alpha-numeric names instead of actual names is that it forces you to use the brand name. When someone asks what kind of car you have, chances are you won't say CTS, you'll say Cadillac or Cadillac CTS.

The Caddy names make some sense... the higher in the the alphabet, the nicer the car. ATS, CTS, XTS. Audi's cars all start with A (A4, A5, A8) and SUVs start with Q like the Q5 and Q7.

The one that makes no sense at all because they're all so similar is Lincoln. Not sure who thought of those!?!?!

Years ago Audi's numbers indicated the number of cylinders. (A4 was 4 cyl, A8 was 8) though in recent years that idea has gone out the window. BMW used to the have the displacement of the engine in the last two digits (750 was a 5 liter, 325 was a 2.5 liter) but once again that idea has been tossed out the window.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.mensch View Post

I don't think this the case at all. It's more likely the reasoning behind the Alpha-Bet Soup generic naming, is that they are simply trying to sound "Modern" and appeal to the younger gen of car buyers.

Think about it, a young 30 year old professional doesn't want to tell his friends, "Hey guys check out my new Cadillac Deville!". His friends will probably laugh in his face even though the car looks cool and performs great.

Their first thought is, "Dude my grandpa drove one of those things back in the day". So Cadillac is trying desperately to change it's image so they can compete with the likes of BMW, Audi and Mercedes.

It's truly unfortunate that Cadillac feels like they have to totally abandoned it's heritage and foundation all to appeal and try to be something that it's not. Look at brands like Rolls Royce, Bentley and the likes of them, they all use REAL NAMES. They haven't changed their ways or have tried to be "hip" or "Cool" just for kicks, they understand who their clients are, and customers wants and needs, so they cater to that market, and are very successful doing so. Sure they are not selling hundreds of thousands of units per year, but it's not always about how many you can sell, those are bragging rights and makes you look good on paper, what's more important is building the best, highest quality cars possible at a premium that maybe a small segment of the population will enjoy and can afford, at a profit which RR and Bentley have done successfully.

Lincoln went down the same path, and started naming their cars in an even more confusing form. Most people wouldn't know what the heck or the difference from a MKS, MKZ, MKT, to the MKX is???? WHAT! It's confusing to me!

It's a major problem that I don't think the automakers realize. If you're having to change just for changes sake, that's not a right way to operate a business.

I understand that Cadillac has gone down in sales over the years, but a major part of the lower sales is not only has the competition stiffened up, but because not many Americans these days have that kind of money to drop down on luxury car.

The Middle Class is shrinking in this country, or is struggling more so than ever before, so big luxury car purchases aren't as obtainable like it was in the 50's and 60's when everything cost less, and was more affordable.

When Cadillac finally builds it's first true flagship since the Fleetwood, I hope they give it a real name that people will easily recognize and identify with.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,270,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I definitely disagree here. I think they are a brand for a younger thinking 35 to 58 year old who has both disposable income and discernment. I thought the Cadillacs with pillowed velour interiors and complete isolation from the road were for the geriatric set.

I think they turned the corner on their market segment quite a while back. I'm just not a fan of their grilles, side profiles, and high trunks. If a car doesn't look attractive to me, I don't care how cool or how competent it is.
Again I like the ATS...a lot, and I'm 31. But Cadillac for a majority of their existence have produced boats. The ATS is the first car to really, really challenge that perception.

One car.

The CTS and CTS-V may have started but really they were too big, too expensive and competed, just with not the right market.

Same thing goes with Scion. They now make, one car, the FR-S that's a sports car and does that suddenly turn them into a sports car company, no.

I agree with you with the design elements. I don't like the grill, the big embelem, the big behind, or the side profile that much with the ATS. But if the reliability is there and it's just about the same as a BMW I'd strongly consider a used ATS in the future.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:15 PM

24,507 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Again I like the ATS...a lot, and I'm 31. But Cadillac for a majority of their existence have produced boats. The ATS is the first car to really, really challenge that perception.
No, Cadillac for a majority of their existence produced full-sized (true full-sized), comfortable, smooth-riding luxury cars. Something which can't be found in any new American car.

Maybe someday, Cadillac will actually start building at least one model that is what Cadillacs used to stand for (the above).

Old 01-08-2013, 06:47 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No, Cadillac for a majority of their existence produced full-sized (true full-sized), comfortable, smooth-riding luxury cars. Something which can't be found in any new American car.

Maybe someday, Cadillac will actually start building at least one model that is what Cadillacs used to stand for (the above).
The whole idea was to STOP building boats. You want a boat, Lincoln still builds some. Or there's the Chrysler 300C. Caddy successfully reinvented themselves, and people who don't like them are welcome to shop elsewhere.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM

24,507 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
The whole idea was to STOP building boats. You want a boat, Lincoln still builds some. Or there's the Chrysler 300C. Caddy successfully reinvented themselves, and people who don't like them are welcome to shop elsewhere.
Lincoln doesn't build any full-sized cars anymore. Neither does Chrysler.

IMO, the whole idea to stop building full-sized, 6-passenger, smooth-riding luxury cars was a terrible idea!

As I said before, it would be nice if Cadillac had at least one model which is a traditional Cadillac... long, low and wide and not short, stumpy and tall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC