Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 AM

55 posts, read 168,083 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am having a real headache with my 2000 Chevy Blazer. Every morning, it takes at least 15 minutes to get it to start. It only happens in the morning time. It started when the weather got cooler and has gotten worse over time. It is turning over but not catching and starting up. When I turn the key to "on" I can hear the fuel pump but I am wondering if it could still be the fuel pump or maybe even spark plugs? I don't have the problem any other time during the day, it'll crank right up once the engine is warm. I know it's not the battery and starter, already had those replaced. Any ideas, anyone? Has anyone else had this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 PM

27 posts, read 125,004 times
It could be a faulty coolant temp sensor.
This sensor tells the computer if the engine is cold or hot.
If your sensor is telling the computer that the engine is hot, then everything that is required to start the engine when it is cold will get the wrong information and it will be hard to start when cold.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Probabilities are high that the injectors are leaking down over night. Here's a test for you to try. In the morning, turn the key on but do not start and count to 3, turn the key off. Count to 30 and do the same thing over again but do not engage the starter. Do this 5 times and on the 5th time engage the starter. If it starts up, you have faulty injectors. A nearly plugged fuel filter can also give the same headache so if you haven't had it changed in the last year, it's about time.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 PM

27 posts, read 125,004 times
Sure it could be the injectors.
Or you could buy 3 coolant sensors for the price of one injector.
Let's hope its not them.
To replace the coolant sensor at the dealer could cost $200.00
To replace the injectors at the dealer could cost $1000.00
Good luck.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,562,983 times
You running rich and what happens, on cold engine, fuel does not atomize too well, and does not want to ignite, wetting spark plugs.
Why you running rich can be any cause mentioned above plus many more.
Try this - starting, press gas pedal all the way down to the floor and hold. Keep cranking. Engine should spin, spin, spin, then start catching, and the very moment it picks up, let go off the gas right away. A little bit of art, but not bad.
If it works, have it figured why you run rich.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Quote:
To replace the injectors at the dealer could cost $1000.00
Or you could do it the intelligent way and just have a Motorvac run on the engine- cost, about 100 bucks. Leaking injectors rarely need replacing, just a major cleaning will do. Motorvac cleans the injectors, throttle plates, and intake system. This is a dealer item and I would avoid those claiming the same thing at Jiffy Junk or Joes We Fixum. Considering it is a 2000 YM, if any of the sensors were out of range it should throw a CEL. That is an OBD-II PCM system. The OP does not mention a CEL.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
It only has one injector.

Google GM spider injection problems and see if it matches your problem.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:11 AM

19,015 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Come to think about it - thanks to Gimme's post, tipped me on not quite advanced design - it has distributor, right? Replace distributor cap and rotor. At 13 years of service, betcha it's dirty and moist inside. Also, it should have a piece inside, commonly called "chocolate", as it looks like piece of chocolate. Forgot if it's sensor or some sort of ignition thing, but that piece likes to go tired also over time, until you can not start anymore at all.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM

55 posts, read 168,083 times
Thanks for the input everyone!

@TrapperL, I tried your test and that actually started it up! So I am guessing it's the injectors or fuel filter.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 32,955 times
I also have a 2000 blazer runs all summer long , When temps start to dip vehicle will just crank and crank,in my case the battery seems to drain within 30 sec. I've changed fuel pump,filter,coolant temp sensor,battery. The key ( lock cylinder ) seems to be loose to the point of popping out on its own. My problem is a cold weather issue but very intermittent.looking for that flukey problem ,thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC