Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,527,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
My point was that these semi-premium prices are on cars from "job and $199" brands. A $27K Verano is much more palatable to me than a $25K Cruze. When I see a Chevy, I (and I'm sure I'm not alone) think American Kia. When I see a Buick, I think (nowadays) poor-man's Lexus (but with unsure long-term durability and comparatively bad resale value).

Personally, in the entryish-level domestic car market, I'll take the 2WD Jeep Patriot, please. Manual windows, can see the hood, and that cargo room! Same price as a Dart, more or less. Focus is too something for my tastes, not sure exactly what. Cruze has too much Daewoo engineering for comfort, not enough of a discount for a domestic, and is built in the old Vega/Cavalier plant. (I think I'm through with new domestics, though, so I'd actually take a Scion xB. Cheap space...the $20K Caravan AVP is highly tempting, and a far better value than a $20K Cruze/Focus/Dart.)

I agree. If I were to consider a Chevy I would want more of a discount (in comparison to a Honda) then is currently offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
My point was that these semi-premium prices are on cars from "job and $199" brands. A $27K Verano is much more palatable to me than a $25K Cruze. When I see a Chevy, I (and I'm sure I'm not alone) think American Kia. When I see a Buick, I think (nowadays) poor-man's Lexus (but with unsure long-term durability and comparatively bad resale value).
I think a Buick still has a stigma of old man's car, so I didn't think it will seem more palatable than a Chevy to a lot of people. Or, to some, they've been out of the picture for so long, people don't have much of a clue what to expect. I just assume Chevy = average GM car. Buick = ?, possibly for old people.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,219 times
The only reason Buick still exists is because of China. You can't maintain the image of it being an American brand if you don't also sell it in the USA. Its hugely profitable for GM... in China.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think a Buick still has a stigma of old man's car, so I didn't think it will seem more palatable than a Chevy to a lot of people. Or, to some, they've been out of the picture for so long, people don't have much of a clue what to expect. I just assume Chevy = average GM car. Buick = ?, possibly for old people.
The stigma of Buick=old man doesn't bother me. In fact, I wish the cars still went that way. I'm just saying that Buick has a sort of a move-up status, like buying a house in a better neighborhood, thus justifying a higher price. A Chevrolet is just a Chevrolet.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
A Chevrolet is just a Chevrolet.
And yet I have no problem paying for the high tech Volt from Chevy. But I'm not closed minded, either. Chevy also makes one of GM's most expensive cars, the top of the line Corvette ZR1.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Who makes the engine?

If GM is manufacturing the engine, there's not much hope. They've screwed over the public too many times.
GM (or UMI) diesel engines outside the US are usually made by ISUZU. If they build it to the EU spec then we may end up with a car that gets 50mph or higher. But in its current version at 42mpg and cost, it will most likely flop.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,604 times
TankWars Leaderboard - Think Blue - VW.com

Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
GM (or UMI) diesel engines outside the US are usually made by ISUZU. If they build it to the EU spec then we may end up with a car that gets 50mph or higher. But in its current version at 42mpg and cost, it will most likely flop.
Actually, the US Chevrolet Cruze diesel engine is a Fiat diesel engine built in Germany.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,013,801 times
I REALLY REALLY REALLY like the new Buick lineup. The cars are looking fantastic as far as I'm concerned, and the interior appointments feel top notch. My biggest worries is "how's the leather going to look in 10 years?" simply because i'd rather have a nice leathette that will look brand new when I try to sell the car ages from now...And what kept me out of a Buick this time around was the terrible trunk space. The Regal had a smaller trunk than my wife's Grand Am (which was already tiny when packing for a kid...can't imagine packing for 2 kids and the wife for a road trip...gah) The LaCrosse which seemed like a "large" car had a trunk smaller than my 06' Jetta (which is actually cavernous) but it was almost the size of my wife's Grand Am trunk (once again...small). End result was we went the German route. I love the large trunk in my new Jetta (similar in size to my 06' model) with fuel economy figures better than the mild-hybrid offered by Buick could provide...If the car had a full trunk, and 30 mpg, I'd have been perfectly happy...but stretching things to get 35 mpg and giving a TINY trunk simply didn't work...seemed like the car of compromise. I do wonder how the German Regal does with trunk size? I know it has several "hot" engine options over there (similar to the GS over here, just with more power) I can remember seeing them on the autobahn in masse, even came in wagon form with the "hot" engine...All things that make me a bit jealous of our gear head loving brethren overseas.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 PM

654 posts, read 1,495,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
Lol Gm is going to push itself back into bankruptcy...42 mpg for a little diesel?????? What a stinkin pile o crap for 26 grand.

DOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC