Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 07:04 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times

Advertisements

Yeah, that bracket has already pulled out of the frame and I can't imagine the thing is drivable. And considering the seller isn't sure which engine the car has I don't think you can count on him for advice on repairs.

You see these listings all the time, "easy fix". If it is so easy why not get it done and keep your car, right?

Having just moved to Michigan I see some horribly rusty cars and wonder why they still use salt on the roads. Alaska uses a calcium chloride solution that doesn't rust cars and is every bit as effective as road salt. Plus it works in the summer for dust control. Maybe I need to bring this to the attention of the road folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 08:44 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Do yourself a favor and run the other way. Those cars were junk when they were new.
Umm.. they were not cutting edge or as reliable as a Camry, but they were leagues better than comparable offerings from other domestic makes. I still see a lot of Centurys / Cutlass Cieras on the road compared to a Taurus or a Dodge Spirit or Stratus from the same era.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
I haven't flown the Space Shuttle either - but that's kinda beside the point.

Speaking of off-topic: Some day I'm going to find an '84 Olds 98 Regency that's in nice shape. I'll go through it before my wife & I head off on a meandering road trip to California, where I'll sell it, and we'll fly back home. One 2,000 mile trip will scratch the itch.

...the car won't be rusted out, either.
It wasn't beside the point at all, as I was explaining the difference in our viewpoints. No car guy who lived the American automotive industry's greatest era would ever settle for a 1995 "Buick" Century or any of their pathetic clones - new or used. Nor would they consider them Buicks.

Everything is relative. They were junk and are junk compared to the classic solid RWD platforms that came before....the real Buicks, like the one I linked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Umm.. they were not cutting edge or as reliable as a Camry, but they were leagues better than comparable offerings from other domestic makes. I still see a lot of Centurys / Cutlass Cieras on the road compared to a Taurus or a Dodge Spirit or Stratus from the same era.
Cutting edge?

When is an "asset" a liability? When it's "cutting edge" in 1995.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:00 PM

334 posts, read 716,179 times
Is this a good deal? $550 Buick, only problem is needs a little welding...

OP, that is some severe rust and likely there is nothing to weld to. IMO, it would be throwing away $550.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:48 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I just noticed that this thread is by the same poster who posted this thread Would you buy a used car without a title nor VIN number? the one who that got his thread closed out by the mod?
Are we being punked again...

Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I just noticed that this thread is by the same poster who posted this thread Would you buy a used car without a title nor VIN number? the one who that got his thread closed out by the mod?
Are we being punked again...
S/he has several threads, all asking the same question about sub $1000 cars

Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
To the OP, please stop looking at junk cars. Every other day you're asking about another suspicious junker that will likely cause you more problems than benefit. If you’re looking at a car and your next question is “Should I get this even though….” then you should automatically walk away. Questions like …even though its rusted severely and needs welding or …even though its missing a title and starts with a screwdriver are dead giveaways that you should be running the other way.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:39 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandle View Post
1995 Buick Century

Do you think that welding is absolutely necessary? Or not worth it for the price of the vehicle?
Great deal. Buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC