Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:37 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,131,881 times

Advertisements

People who can afford $75k and looking for a status badge will not buy Caddy.
Tesla is a lot more sexier and for a bit more the new electric BMW is a much better vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 12:33 AM

24,491 posts, read 33,224,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
People who can afford $75k and looking for a status badge will not buy Caddy.
Tesla is a lot more sexier and for a bit more the new electric BMW is a much better vehicle.
I've seen a Tesla. To me, they look like a half-dozen other cars!

I would rather have a Cadillac, but pre-1977. They way a Cadillac should be... big!

Old 10-13-2013, 01:21 AM

243 posts, read 546,384 times
Why $75K? Has neither the performance nor prestige to warrant $75K. 16.5 kWh li-ion pack with a 1.4-liter gas engine is anemic.

I wouldn't buy any electric car currently on the market, but the Tesla S is in a whole other league than the ELR. Cadillac has put out a string of competitive cars lately, so I'm baffled by the lack of value/performance presented in the ELR.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:06 AM

21,706 posts, read 24,943,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarlm View Post
Why $75K? Has neither the performance nor prestige to warrant $75K. 16.5 kWh li-ion pack with a 1.4-liter gas engine is anemic.

I wouldn't buy any electric car currently on the market, but the Tesla S is in a whole other league than the ELR. Cadillac has put out a string of competitive cars lately, so I'm baffled by the lack of value/performance presented in the ELR.
Likewise.

I don't have the money to buy the Tesla anyway, but even If I were to spend $70-80k on a car, it wouldn't be the Tesla. Maybe in 2-5 years when the supercharger network is more built out. But even then.. I usually drive up to Seattle about once a year which would be a pain charging every 30 minutes. Plus if I have the time I like to take a few days and drive down the coast where I wouldn't expect anything more than a regular charge. I suppose you could rent a car or maybe as a second/third card it would make sense.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:21 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,242,259 times
Caddy has no problem selling a tarted up Tahoe for $80k, so they are definitely starting to have the prestige it takes to sell in this arena. GM also wants to make money on the car instead of lose it, so the price is what it is. I wish it were lower, as I'd love to have one. The Volt's day to day performance FEELS like a much more powerful car as all it's 280 lb ft of torque is available at idle, and right when you ask for it, unlike gas powered cars where you have to rev them up and wring them out to get the performance. THe ELR's styling is much more exotic and the interior materials are vastly more luxurious.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:57 AM

21,706 posts, read 24,943,157 times
That's only an extra 33% in snob tax though Merc. Big difference between charging double and charging 33% more. Lots of companies charge 20-30% more in discriminatory pricing for people that will pay for it. I wouldn't say being able to charge an extra 30% means they can charge 100% more. I guess it's subjective. Hybrids to me always feel like cheaper cars than they are, not more expensive, torque not withstanding. Rubber band transmissions, sloppy throttle response, no road feel, horrible tires... they all serve their point in getting farther on less fuel, but make for enjoyable cars to drive. At least with a diesel you generally avoid everything except the slow acceleration. Eg, diesel cruze is faster than the Volt, more trunk capacity. And it's $9,000+ cheaper than the Volt before tax credits. Pretty easy to get up into the 50 mpg freeway as, like most diesels, it beats EPA numbers where most hybrids really struggle to even match them.

I'd get the diesel. It's just a much better all-around car for what I use it for, which is a lot of long drives. $9,000 buys a lot of dead dino juice.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:05 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,242,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's only an extra 33% in snob tax though Merc. Big difference between charging double and charging 33% more. Lots of companies charge 20-30% more in discriminatory pricing for people that will pay for it. I wouldn't say being able to charge an extra 30% means they can charge 100% more. I guess it's subjective.
I agree. As I said in my first post, I would have liked it at $50k.

Quote:
Hybrids to me always feel like cheaper cars than they are, not more expensive, torque not withstanding. Rubber band transmissions, sloppy throttle response, no road feel, horrible tires...
Obviously you've never driven a Volt, especially in Sport mode and Low range on the trans (same gear ratio as D, but more agressive regen) There is no "rubber band" to the single speed trans, there is instant throttle response at any speed (no waiting for shifting or the torque to build, etc), very obvious low center of gravity and great road holding feel due to that.

Quote:
At least with a diesel you generally avoid everything except the slow acceleration. Eg, diesel cruze is faster than the Volt, more trunk capacity.
Actually, the diesel Cruze is not quicker than the Volt around town, and the hatchback Volt has way more carrying capacity than the Cruze sedan. Sorry, but I OWN a Volt and have carried a LOT of stuff in it, and driven a rental Cruze and tried to carry luggage in it. (same luggage that I took to the airport in the Volt so I have back to back comparisons)

Quote:
And it's $9,000+ cheaper than the Volt before tax credits. Pretty easy to get up into the 50 mpg freeway as, like most diesels, it beats EPA numbers where most hybrids really struggle to even match them.
Since you get the tax credits on the Volt, which now stickers at $35k, PLUS any available incentives, the Volt is cheaper than the Cruze diesel. And with the exception of the two trips to central CT from Baltimore, I've yet to put more than one tank of fuel in the Volt since I got it in February, and I've got well over 8k miles on it so far. That's 6000 miles with no petroleum whatsoever. and over 200 mpg lifetime average. And both trips to CT saw over 50 mpg highway on gasoline.

Quote:
I'd get the diesel. It's just a much better all-around car for what I use it for, which is a lot of long drives. $9,000 buys a lot of dead dino juice.
Again, that $9k difference vanishes in the real world when the out the door transaction prices are looked at. And, after driving both, the Volt is simply a better drive than the Cruze (which isn't a bad car in and of itself). I'd expect the ELR to be similar, though again, it would be a better deal at $50k.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:44 PM

9,318 posts, read 11,069,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We'll see a Kia that looks like that in two years for around $25k that gets 40 mpg and they'll sell a few thousand a month.
LOL, you are so very on target.

In fact, right now you can get a tarted/luxed-up Optima touching 40 large with the 270HP 2.0t that you could slap Caddy wreath-and-crest on and 90% of the driving public would not know the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
0 to 60 in 8 seconds for $75k?
And that is supposed to compete with the Tesla?

What a joke.
They should try $49,995 including transportation. This is a reach, a reach that will result in lower back pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Better be one damn nice interior for two reasons:

1) That's the price of two cars. Typically when you pay a rebadge snob tax, it's much less. Eg, If you wan't your Avalon with a Lexus badge it'll only cost you an extra 20% more. The Lincoln brand is similar. They certainly don't cost twice for the snob badge.

2) It's $75k for an ecobox. For a $70k, the performance is spectacularly pathetic and identical to the mechanical twin. Basically, it's only justification for existence is the toys/interior. It's tough for me to imagine them being worth double the money, even for a rich person.
Indeed. I have a 2013 Charger, for another 65+ grand I could pick up another Charger (or a 300) and a Challenger and have enough for gas for the next 10 years.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:44 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,090,232 times
I assume the Caddy has the godawful CUE system in the dash, what some reviewers say is the worst control interface available.

Give me visible buttons please. I do not need a worse version of a touch screen tablet in my car.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,880 times
Default Too expensive

The Cadillac is a beautiful stylish car, however for $20K less the dealers would not be able to keep them in stock. I have not seen a single one on the road. For $75K I could get a basic Tesla model S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC