Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:58 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times

Advertisements

Spend some money on a good mechanic inspection. Rust? General condition? I would repair it if there is no rust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 02:07 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
I owned a Cadillac Deville, bought it new in 2001. By the time I reached 130k all kinds of annoying little expensive things went wrong with that car. Over and over again. Parts are stupid expensive. Poorly installed auto windows that kept braking all the time. Hundreds of dollars per door. Modules and engine light issues where I paid a thousand bucks to turn that frigging light out with no luck. Issues with gas gauge, speakers cracking. This car was not driven hard and was garaged its whole life. The good things about this car was it's a beautiful white diamond caddy. The motor drove like a dream, the trans was like silk. But the rest of the car was failing. If I where you I'd sell it as is.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:20 PM

129 posts, read 516,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Huh what? An Escalade is a rebadged Suburban. Are you saying you've never seen Burbs with >200K? I've seen plenty. Plenty.
I'll agree with you on the Burbies, mostly I was wondering if it was going to be re-sold. The Caddy is just a badge and trim job, I have seen several of them in Ohio that were beat to death fairly quickly, even some that were used as construction vehicles a few years back, when everyone used to have their Nextel # on the back window and oversized wheels. The leather seats due to the high entry point usually get hammered pretty fast and most of them had a light colored interior that looked pretty bad real fast. Not to mention the faux wood trim falling apart everywhere and the steering wheels covered in hand lotion residue.

A large amount of the currently surviving 10+ yr old high mileage Burbies (mostly 2500's) were bought by people who took care of them as a sturdy truck, they probably did not get washed every week but money was spent on mechanicals. Not to say the Chevys were spared from soccer mom duty, saw a very nice 1997 in Columbus parked on the side of the street in a very nice area, 100% garaged, over 230k and in nearly mint condition with every option including leather, a few stone chips on the hood, clear headlights, alloys without clear coat peeling, beautiful chrome with the most minor automatic car wash swirls in the paint a real looker!

Most, not all of the Caddys were 2-3 year leases, from folks who wanted that next hot ride, then resold over mileage to used car dealers or non-certified stock for GM used, basically signing their death certificate right off the bat. That's all..

Last edited by orrecc; 10-16-2013 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: one long run on paragraph.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:40 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
That's a shame JMKing. Those pearl white Caddies attract folks like moths to flame. All those electronic toys and gadgets get ya in the end. Better off not using them.

It's funny, DH's '04 Sierra had all the bad crap happen, (dash lights burnt out, front hubs, door handles broke, door lock actuator failed-this happened at Home Depot and we drove it home with the driver door winched shut with a ratchet tie down strap. Holy Cow :O) and my '05 we just replaced the original front brakes at 67K miles. When DH worked at the dealership I was talking to one of the older techs about it and he said, ' Oh, you got a baaaaad one."

Bad day on the assembly line. Must have been a Monday or a Friday.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:42 AM

Orecc, yer right on there, every time I see a '97 genre it's either a rust bucket or showroom nice. My next ride is a Yukon Denali.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:56 PM

129 posts, read 516,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Those pearl white Caddies attract folks like moths to flame.

U.....R......AWESOME!

And it's so true. I can see 'em now..

Customer: Hey babe look at that one it's pearl white!

Salesman: Oh you don't want that one it needs work.

Customer: But it's just so pretty, and so cute, lets drive it! Oh wow it has Bluetooth and we can get all of the kids stuff in here, Bradley come back over here and be nice to your sister.

Salesman to sales manager: CHA-CHING!!! Bout time we get that junker off the lot! Give them $1000 off they already got all the kids in it, they're not walking.

Customer to salesman at negotiating table: Well Bob I have a degree in earth sciences, so I can spot a good car from a mile away. You know what.... we'll pay $500 under sticker pay if you fix the broken power window motor....

Salesman: Well, I'll have to run that past my boss, we had another couple looking at it earlier...

Last edited by orrecc; 10-19-2013 at 12:56 AM..

Old 10-19-2013, 04:14 PM

Orecc, it's true, every door mirror I ever sold on one had to be pearl white or black or they wouldn't buy it.

Your dealership scenario is too funny BTW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC