Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:08 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,381,341 times

Advertisements

Also, what is the steps and difficulties?
Attached Thumbnails
Can I make(and is it possible) to make my 1990 GMC Suburban 350 V8 V1500 4x4 to a Dually?-00000_d8oeg4w3iyp_600x450.jpeg   Can I make(and is it possible) to make my 1990 GMC Suburban 350 V8 V1500 4x4 to a Dually?-00p0p_6yayyj9bjoa_600x450.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 04:14 PM

18,754 posts, read 27,181,960 times
True or fake one?

Old 01-06-2014, 04:18 PM

18,754 posts, read 27,181,960 times
Adaptors, Wheels, Duality Fenders and Complete Kits - Arrowcraft :: Helping You Handle the Road for over 30 years!

How to make a dually [Archive] - Duramax Diesels Forum

Turning a 95' 2500 into a dually? - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Fitting two extra rear tires on a pickup does not a dually make – indeed, there is more to the truck than just the extra tires. For one, the rear tires installed on these trucks are larger than your normal pickup tires. Dual tires are usually 16” in size, however these days 18” tires are also becoming popular.
Another major modification with these models is their stronger suspension – because they are designed to carry and haul more weight, their rear suspension is much stronger than that of an average pickup. However, this is not true for some models, such as the Ford F-350, which is a dually that uses the same suspension that is installed in the F-250.
These features make a dually truck the best choice for construction and mining companies that need the maximum hauling power that they can get. Private individuals or other companies that require more powerful trucks are also served well by dually trucks. Their extra tires ensure more traction with the surface of the road, which allows for better braking and handling, especially when hauling larger trailers and equipment. The wider wheelbase also adds more stability to the vehicle.

Dually Truck

Old 01-06-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Adaptors, Wheels, Duality Fenders and Complete Kits - Arrowcraft :: Helping You Handle the Road for over 30 years!

How to make a dually [Archive] - Duramax Diesels Forum

Turning a 95' 2500 into a dually? - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Fitting two extra rear tires on a pickup does not a dually make – indeed, there is more to the truck than just the extra tires. For one, the rear tires installed on these trucks are larger than your normal pickup tires. Dual tires are usually 16” in size, however these days 18” tires are also becoming popular.
Another major modification with these models is their stronger suspension – because they are designed to carry and haul more weight, their rear suspension is much stronger than that of an average pickup. However, this is not true for some models, such as the Ford F-350, which is a dually that uses the same suspension that is installed in the F-250.
These features make a dually truck the best choice for construction and mining companies that need the maximum hauling power that they can get. Private individuals or other companies that require more powerful trucks are also served well by dually trucks. Their extra tires ensure more traction with the surface of the road, which allows for better braking and handling, especially when hauling larger trailers and equipment. The wider wheelbase also adds more stability to the vehicle.

Dually Truck
Someone saind to me that if I had duallies I can lose MPG, is that true?

Old 01-06-2014, 04:37 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,465,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Someone saind to me that if I had duallies I can lose MPG, is that true?
Absolutely. You are adding unsprung, rotational weight. I would expect that you would take a significant hit to your MPG.

Honestly, the entire exercise is pointless as it will add zero fuinctionality to your truck and will most likely degrade it by placing stress on various components. Any "dually appearance" modification to allow you to bolt on extra wheels are hack jobs at best and no additional capability. If you want a dually...buy a dually. To make yours a true dually and do it right would cost far more than it would ever be worth.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:39 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,379,382 times
Default Can I make(and is it possible) to make my 1990 GMC Suburban 350 V8 V1500 4x4 to a Dually?

"Can I make" - No, you cannot.
"Is it possible" - Yes, very much so.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Absolutely. You are adding unsprung, rotational weight. I would expect that you would take a significant hit to your MPG.

Honestly, the entire exercise is pointless as it will add zero fuinctionality to your truck and will most likely degrade it by placing stress on various components. Any "dually appearance" modification to allow you to bolt on extra wheels are hack jobs at best and no additional capability. If you want a dually...buy a dually. To make yours a true dually and do it right would cost far more than it would ever be worth.
So, what are other options that I can hve my vehicle look or be similiar to a dually?

By adding Fender Flares?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM

11,153 posts, read 29,139,769 times
Quote:
So, what are other options that I can hve my vehicle look or be similiar to a dually?

By adding Fender Flares?
Adding fender flares means you can add wider off-road tires if your rims allow it and not get mud and debris thrown onto the hood and sides of the vehicle.

Otherwise they never made a suburban in a dually so IMO it would cheaper and make more sense to buy a Chevy K3500 1-ton 454 BBC or 6.2-6.5 Diesel 4x4 Dually truck to replace your 1/2 ton suburban.

here Is the older body style like your current suburban or go for the newer body style esp when they (GM) brought out the Vortec SBC and BBC Gasser V-8 engines with multiport fuel injection they are quite a step up in performance and reliability over the old TBI V-8 that predated them in GM/Chevy full-size truck and SUVs in the late 80's early 90's

Last edited by GTOlover; 01-06-2014 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 PM

2,341 posts, read 11,967,046 times
Quote:
Also, what is the steps and difficulties?
It can be done, yes. But it's going to be an expensive nightmare. You'd be better off by sticking the Suburban body on the frame of a 4x4 Dually truck as a starting point.

The only other thing to do, would be to find somebody to machine 6-bolt dually rears. Then you'll need a body-man to fashion the fender flares.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Adding fender flares means you can add wider off-road tires if your rims allow it and not get mud and debris thrown onto the hood and sides of the vehicle.

Otherwise they never made a suburban in a dually so IMO it would cheaper and make more sense to buy a Chevy K3500 1-ton 454 BBC or 6.2-6.5 Diesel 4x4 Dually truck to replace your 1/2 ton suburban.

here Is the older body style like your current suburban or go for the newer body style esp when they (GM) brought out the Vortec SBC and BBC Gasser V-8 engines with multiport fuel injection they are quite a step up in performance and reliability over the old TBI V-8 that predated them in GM/Chevy full-size truck and SUVs in the late 80's early 90's
I might as well just get the other truck such as the dually Silverado or Sierra and just leave my Suburban alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC