U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
10,715 posts, read 22,354,775 times
Reputation: 5137

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Jeremy on Top Gear blasts Corvettes for the plastic rear bumper cover:

See the 5:30 mark: Ferraris are made by craftsman, Corvettes are made by two fat guys in Kentucky named Bert and Bob......That being said, he loves the torque and the 0-60 in 3 seconds, calling it Enzo fast!

USA Muscle Car Road Trip Part 1: Drag Racing in Reno - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube


Same argument at the 5:30 mark on a ZR1:

Corvette ZR1 vs Audi R8 - Now in Full HD - Top Gear - Series 14 - BBC - YouTube

USA Muscle Car Road Trip Part 2 - Mountain pass - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube
yeah but in part two when they hit the mountain twisty roads both James and Jeremey fall in love with their cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2014, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Prosper
6,268 posts, read 12,132,882 times
Reputation: 9331
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You run among guys who use their cars. But for every one of them, there are hundreds that either don't take their performance cars to the limits (most fall into this category), or don't race them at all. How many have access to any kind of legal 1 mile course? Almost none. How many have any place reasonably close to top out their cars? Almost none. How many are willing and able to run at the limits? Almost none.

For the infinitesimally small number of people who will try to exceed 200 MPH, the new Z06 may be a problem. For the other 98% of the sports car buying public, I'm sure it will be just fine.
I see your point, the Dallas, Houston, (well, TX in general), car scene seems to have more than its share of guys who modify, tune, and use their cars.

But for this particular car? The new Z06? With it's front splitters, rear spoiler, aero aids... I have a hard time believing that the people that buy one wouldn't care about top speed. Those people who don't care are buying the standard Vette.

Anyone who buys this car is going to be cross shopping Vipers too, and the new Viper hits 206.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 19,562,454 times
Reputation: 6765
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I see your point, the Dallas, Houston, (well, TX in general), car scene seems to have more than its share of guys who modify, tune, and use their cars.

But for this particular car? The new Z06? With it's front splitters, rear spoiler, aero aids... I have a hard time believing that the people that buy one wouldn't care about top speed. Those people who don't care are buying the standard Vette.

Anyone who buys this car is going to be cross shopping Vipers too, and the new Viper hits 206.
Even among those who use their cars, how many will ever see the top end?

My GTO will top out at about 176, supposedly. I will never get anywhere close to that, because I won't go to the effort to find and go to a place where I can do that, legally or otherwise. But I use the ~440HP/~445TQ pretty much every time I drive it. My buddies with Vettes, including one blown and a guy who owns 20+ Vettes, don't go all out either. But we all have fun zipping up to 100+, err...I mean the speed limit.

The Z06 will be much faster than a standard Vette, plus whatever else sets it apart from other Vettes and cars. That is enough reason for most buyers in that class to consider it. I doubt it will lose any sales to the Viper because of the difference in top speed.

Would you buy the Viper over the Z06 only because of 6 MPH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2014, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Twin Lakes /Taconic / Salisbury
2,256 posts, read 3,390,823 times
Reputation: 1834
QUOTE=vmaxnc;32984537]Even among those who use their cars, how many will ever see the top end?

My GTO will top out at about 176, supposedly. I will never get anywhere close to that, because I won't go to the effort to find and go to a place where I can do that, legally or otherwise. But I use the ~440HP/~445TQ pretty much every time I drive it. My buddies with Vettes, including one blown and a guy who owns 20+ Vettes, don't go all out either. But we all have fun zipping up to 100+, err...I mean the speed limit.

The Z06 will be much faster than a standard Vette, plus whatever else sets it apart from other Vettes and cars. That is enough reason for most buyers in that class to consider it. I doubt it will lose any sales to the Viper because of the difference in top speed.

Would you buy the Viper over the Z06 only because of 6 MPH?[/quote]


Exactly... 99.9% of the people that actually use this car are goung to do so at tracks like Lime Rock, Laguna Seca, VIR, Sebring, Daytona etc. where even a C7R race car wont touch 200mph. For the 1-2 guys who want to use it in a "closed road classic" and go well over 200 mph on a long, boring, straight piece of closed down public road they can do a gear swap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2014, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Queens, NY
347 posts, read 505,105 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
You don't sound like someone who has ever had a high horsepower car. Trust me, none of us are "accelerating very slowly" because our gearing is long enough so we can go over 200.
Admittedly, no. At least, not to my direct knowledge anyway. I probably should have said "accelerating more slowly" instead of "very slowly".

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
....My buddies with Vettes, including one blown and a guy who owns 20+ Vettes, don't go all out either. But we all have fun zipping up to 100+, err...I mean the speed limit.
Just like the Top Gear UK guys in their latest USA trip. They all made a point of mentioning that they could all now blast up to 55 mph once they got onto the open freeway. They even went as far as digitally superimposing "55" in camera shots of the speedometer even though they're all accelerating hard into 6th gear.


Top Gear Clip - Taking it to 55mph (S19E02 Western USA Road Trip) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Prosper
6,268 posts, read 12,132,882 times
Reputation: 9331
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
The Z06 will be much faster than a standard Vette, plus whatever else sets it apart from other Vettes and cars. That is enough reason for most buyers in that class to consider it. I doubt it will lose any sales to the Viper because of the difference in top speed.

Would you buy the Viper over the Z06 only because of 6 MPH?
For me, yes, it would be a factor in my decision. One reason the McLaren F1 is so iconic is because back in 1993, that car could hit 231. A big reason (and selling point) of the Veyron is that it can hit 250+, and without much drama either. Hennessey's latest Venom GT was created to take the top speed record away from Bugatti.

I prefer having cars that are geared a bit higher than the stock horsepower will allow me to go, so when I modify them, I have some breathing room in top speed. This latest Z06, with 620 hp, is only 20hp less than the Viper, similar weights, etc. Doesn't make sense to me if they gear it artificially low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2014, 10:59 AM
 
9,336 posts, read 11,177,326 times
Reputation: 12521
To me I would think a $25000 400/450 HP Viper would be just as much fun as a 75K Corvette.......You could abuse it without remorse and it is a car that takes talent to drive at its limit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Cold Springs, NV
4,576 posts, read 9,096,180 times
Reputation: 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
What is it with Americans and "ass kicking"? Some sort of inferiority complex? European car reviewers and magazines respect the Z06 and the ZR1 but still prefer other options. Buying a Corvette makes sense in the US but not in Europe. The Stingray base price is around 61,000 GBP/100,000 USD in the UK.
I sure do a lot of programming for guys in Western Europe who love the SBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2014, 11:27 AM
 
Location: A cold & gloomy place
5,055 posts, read 5,530,777 times
Reputation: 3817
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I sure do a lot of programming for guys in Western Europe who love the SBC.
Most of them are not proper sports cars, just modified Hondas or BMWs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 19,562,454 times
Reputation: 6765
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
For me, yes, it would be a factor in my decision. One reason the McLaren F1 is so iconic is because back in 1993, that car could hit 231. A big reason (and selling point) of the Veyron is that it can hit 250+, and without much drama either. Hennessey's latest Venom GT was created to take the top speed record away from Bugatti.

I prefer having cars that are geared a bit higher than the stock horsepower will allow me to go, so when I modify them, I have some breathing room in top speed. This latest Z06, with 620 hp, is only 20hp less than the Viper, similar weights, etc. Doesn't make sense to me if they gear it artificially low.
OK, well...you're the other one.

As for the rest? Let's be real. Those high top end numbers are little more than bragging rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top