Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:37 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times

Advertisements

Real car guys are not buying Ferrari's, Lambos, Bugatti Veyron's.

Basketball stars, Hip Hop moguls overpaid movie stars and some high roller tech guys buy those overpriced show cars.

Real men drive Vettes, Porsche. BMW's, Mustangs , Camaro's at least that's what I see on the tracks. The exotics are seen at car shows or parked in the garage at some 10M mansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:54 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

Basketball stars, Hip Hop moguls overpaid movie stars and some high roller tech guys buy those overpriced show cars.

Real men drive Vettes, Porsche. BMW's, Mustangs , Camaro's at least that's what I see on the tracks. The exotics are seen at car shows or parked in the garage at some 10M mansion.
I agree that Lamborghinis and the Bugatti Veyron are poseur cars. Ferrari, on the other hand, got some real driver's cars, like the 458 Italia/Speciale and the F12berlinetta (RWD and a lot of hp). The F40 is the ultimate example of a true driver's car. Nick Mason, the Pink Floyd drummer, actually races his $30 million+ 250 GTO.

SUPERCAR: FERRARI F40 - Fifth Gear - YouTube

Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I agree that Lamborghinis and the Bugatti Veyron are poseur cars. Ferrari, on the other hand, got some real driver's cars, like the 458 Italia/Speciale and the F12berlinetta (RWD and a lot of hp). The F40 is the ultimate example of a true driver's car. Nick Mason, the Pink Floyd drummer, actually races his $30 million+ 250 GTO.

SUPERCAR: FERRARI F40 - Fifth Gear - YouTube
You might be right about some Ferrari's I remember one some years back at Watkins Glen. It was a brand new Ferrari that had been gutted and had a full cage and the owner had it built just for Open tracking. I knew the guy has a some bucks because I used to buy products his company made.(legal products)

Old 01-12-2014, 11:15 AM

347 posts, read 650,189 times
I guess it depends on the type of owner. New money millionaires would probably use their new Ferraris as show cars or for chick magnets. Old school owners would probably drive them on the track.

That said, I recall that Ferrari does keep a list of car owners, and they scrutinize that list for potential buyers for their newest and most desirable cars, probably to make sure that you're actually driving the car and not just keeping it locked up in a garage. Remember that this is the same company that will sell you an FXX Evoluzione for full price, but will keep the car in their possession until you say you're ready to drive it on a track because they're constantly upgrading the car with new parts and settings.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:27 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
Quote:
You might be right about some Ferrari's I remember one some years back at Watkins Glen. It was a brand new Ferrari that had been gutted and had a full cage and the owner had it built just for Open tracking. I knew the guy has a some bucks because I used to buy products his company made.(legal products)
I would say most. The California is the only exception. The FF is not a typical poseur car. The design require some acquired taste to be appreciated.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 AM

51 posts, read 81,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
USA has been kicking butt on those German, and Italian cars for years.

The wealthy buy that foreign stuff, and even I admire the craftsmanship, but nothing is better than USA made!
I dunno about that. Take for example, a 1979 Porsche 930 and put it up against a 1979 Vette. The porsche could blow its doors off, even with its tiny little flat 6...and didn't corner like a bathtub full of water...

Old 01-12-2014, 11:55 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Disagree. You may not see them on that track as much, but in the case of Ferrari, they have track only variants just like Porsche does. You don't see them as much because they cost more, and maintenance is far more expensive than it is on P-cars. The F430 and 458 Italia are two of the best driver's cars in the world. Blow an engine in a Porsche, and you'll spend $30-40k to get it replaced. Do it with a Ferrari and that'll just be the down payment.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:57 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
OK, well...you're the other one.

As for the rest? Let's be real. Those high top end numbers are little more than bragging rights.
But if you're spending near $100k for a car, wouldn't you want bragging rights to come along with it?

Old 01-12-2014, 11:59 AM

17,300 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriated View Post
I dunno about that. Take for example, a 1979 Porsche 930 and put it up against a 1979 Vette. The porsche could blow its doors off, even with its tiny little flat 6...and didn't corner like a bathtub full of water...
Haha those Vette's were terrible!

Though you could run that same test in 1996 (C4 vs 993tt) and have the same result or even current day:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q6y7oeZ...%3Dq6y7oeZx9WY

Old 01-12-2014, 12:11 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Jeremy on Top Gear blasts Corvettes for the plastic rear bumper cover:

See the 5:30 mark: Ferraris are made by craftsman, Corvettes are made by two fat guys in Kentucky named Bert and Bob......That being said, he loves the torque and the 0-60 in 3 seconds, calling it Enzo fast!

USA Muscle Car Road Trip Part 1: Drag Racing in Reno - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube

Same argument at the 5:30 mark on a ZR1:

Corvette ZR1 vs Audi R8 - Now in Full HD - Top Gear - Series 14 - BBC - YouTube
Love Top Gear, thanks for the videos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC