Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:36 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,418,228 times

Advertisements

I have a 1990 GMC Suburbsm SLE 4x4 350 V8 which I want to sell gor a same year or 1989-1991 Diesel Suburban 4x4.

I bought the Suburban for 1500. Had the transmission rebuilt for 900 dollars. Back in November 2013.

I will change the valve lifters with new rods for the snd have the Suburban psinted which my who does paint and body work, will charge me 1000 for the body repair and paint. Which he would've charged me 3500.

So what do you think I should sell it for and do you think it's a good idea to get a diesel Suburban in general or should I keep the one I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 03:44 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Understanding why you want to get a diesel would help answer your question.

I probably wouldn't go that route regardless simply because the 6.2 diesels those rigs came with weren't all that great even under the best of circumstances, and very few have really been maintained as they should have been.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

I probably wouldn't go that route regardless simply because the 6.2 diesels those rigs came with weren't all that great even under the best of circumstances, and very few have really been maintained as they should have been.
To try it out along with better fuel mileage.

Especially since I'n getting interested in Diesels

Old 03-26-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

Also, I 'm not going to use it for heavy work. Just general driving and medium tow if needed.

I'm also thinking of a quarter ton.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:51 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
I can only think of a couple of good reasons to do this-you plan to run biodiesel or tow biiiiiggggg stuff.

Otherwise, if you are putting that kind of money into your old 'Burb I'd keep it.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:56 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post

Especially since I'n getting interested in Diesels
In what capacity are you interested in diesels?

The 6.2 is a gutless turd with about zero modding potential.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:57 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
Are you towing with your Suburban or just hauling family? If you're not towing, it doesn't make much sense to trade in an old beater YOU KNOW for an old beater you don't know. You could have worse problems with another one. Also, in that year you will get an NA diesel. They're really not that good.

I suggest ponying up $4,000 or so and get a first gen turbo diesel.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I can only think of a couple of good reasons to do this-you plan to run biodiesel or tow biiiiiggggg stuff.

Otherwise, if you are putting that kind of money into your old 'Burb I'd keep it.
Well like I said before, I'm just going to use for general driving and not heavy towimg. Only medium towing IF NEEDED.

Also, I'm thinking of a quarter ton.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Are you towing with your Suburban or just hauling family? If you're not towing, it doesn't make much sense to trade in an old beater YOU KNOW for an old beater you don't know. You could have worse problems with another one. Also, in that year you will get an NA diesel. They're really not that good.

I suggest ponying up $4,000 or so and get a first gen turbo diesel.
Well like I said before, I'm just going to use for general driving and not heavy towimg. Only medium towing IF NEEDED(but not like talking about it). .Also, I'm thinking of a quarter ton.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:29 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Better pencil out your anticipated use ...

If you predominant use is normal driving, then the diesel will not be an advantage in cost per mile given the price disparity between diesel and gasoline these days, and the early diesel powerplant won't be a powerhouse for your infrequent tow purposes, either.

If the vehicle you have now meets your needs, you'll be into it for a nominal amount of money which will not be recoverable for the mechanical and cosmetic repairs. Better, IMO, to stay with what you've fixed up and drive the wheels off of it.

When the day comes that you need to tow more frequently and a more sizable load, then a diesel may make sense for your needs. But the scenario you've posted for now isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC