Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 04:14 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times

Advertisements

Year to date (March 31), Chevy has sold 3,606 Volts, 15% FEWER than the same period the year before. It is the 87th best selling CAR (doesn't include trucks or SUVs) right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
you're missing the demographic information of who is buying the Tesla. younger individuals who care very much about fuel economy are purchasing it. it's high on my radar, but not sure I want to spend that much on a vehicle, though I'd save well over $2,000/yr on gas so it's quite tempting.
I believe the fuel economy thing for a Tesla (or the ELR) incorrect. Those young people are pretending that they "care".

If you spend $80k to save $2k on gas a year, you are foolish. Buy a $15k gas sipper instead and invest the $65k difference. You will be far ahead of the game after 5 years. Plus, you can drive across country, anytime you desire. Any fool right now can be getting a minimum of 10% in their investments - that's $6500 a year towards fuel!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 PM

255 posts, read 660,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Most Americans just want a huge SUV with a ton of cup holders. That car almost looks like a "driver's vehicle" and Americans aren't drivers, they want a floating living room. For the tiny population of actual drivers, they usually will buy Audis, BMWs and Porsche, not a Caddy. It is a hard sell in the US, where most people are fat and can't get in and out of much of anything except huge SUVs. Plus, if you have a car, going through the fast food drive throughs are a little more cumbersome because you have to look up and reach a little. In an Escalade, you are closer to the window and did I mention cup holders?

Most American car makers rely on marketing big SUVs. That is what the people want in the US market. We aren't a real driving culture like in Europe. Think floating living rooms that don't brake well, can't avoid any accidents and just plow forward with no chance of missing the accidents ahead. Also, think going super slow around any curves in the road, because SUVs will just flip over.
That is the most asinine thing I have ever read. Have you ever been to Europe or just think everything Jeremy Clarkson says is pure fact?

Old 04-26-2014, 05:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb19 View Post
That is the most asinine thing I have ever read . . .
Then you haven't read many of his other posts.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:21 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
I am a Caddy lover, but I don't see how you would pick this over a Tesla.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:53 AM

255 posts, read 660,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Then you haven't read many of his other posts.
Ahaha.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:04 PM

347 posts, read 650,008 times
I sat in one at the NY Auto Show, and came away impressed with the materials quality and design of the interior. The cockpit is definitely one of the nicest ones that I sat in over the entire auto show. My only complaint is with the extremely long doors.

That said, my opinion may have been colored by my mostly negative impressions of the other Cadillac cars nearby. The ATS and CTS may be more agile than their German competitors, but Cadillac needs to sort out their interior design and material quality to allow them to be truly competitive.

Speaking of German competitors, the most tasteful interior that I sat in over the entire auto show belongs to the Mercedes E-Class sedan. Audi interiors are nice (their wood trims are my favorite), but I've grown tired of the relentless darkness inside and the red gauges and display panels. BMW interiors are nicely designed, but seem rather plain and plasticky. Also, their interiors look odd and mismatched when you add wood trim to them.

But the E-Class interior is a beauty in a class of its own. Everything feels expensive inside, yet nothing looks ostentatious or gaudy. I would describe it as "subtle sophistication":

» 2014 mercedes benz-e-class interior dashboard

Old 04-26-2014, 06:38 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It was a GREAT ad, n'est pas?
Left wingers threw a fit over that ad for the ELR. I sort of liked it. A little different. Wouldn't buy the car though. If I had that much money , I would go for a Tesla.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:40 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Left wingers threw a fit over that ad for the ELR. I sort of liked it. A little different. Wouldn't buy the car though. If I had that much money , I would go for a Tesla.
Toyota made a funny response ad.
I found both ads clever, amusing, tongue-in-cheek fun.
People who took offense at it need to remove das stick from der butt.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:26 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban analysis therapist View Post

But the E-Class interior is a beauty in a class of its own. Everything feels expensive inside, yet nothing looks ostentatious or gaudy. I would describe it as "subtle sophistication":

» 2014 mercedes benz-e-class interior dashboard
Indeed. Great automobile. The other thing I like about this vehicle is the absence of a gigantic center console that sweeps down from the dash. It's gotten so bad on some makes, that it makes you feel like you are sitting down in a ditch.

I agree with you 100% about Cadillac ATS & CTS. It's like they can't decide who they want to appeal to, so they put a little bit of everything in their interior styling. It really doesn't work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC