Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:48 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times

Advertisements

You didn't specify which engine/trans are in this truck or the weight rating, which will affect the real world utility of such a rig. The Z71 package provides most of the "upgrades" for sound system, leather, etc.

From my perspective, where 3/4 & 1 ton pick-up trucks are working vehicles, this looks like a dandied up 4x4 vanity vehicle without much real practical use. I wouldn't touch it ....

But if you like it enough to want to drive it or may put it to use as a tow vehicle, the price isn't unreasonable ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 10:49 AM

687 posts, read 1,944,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If its a used pickup you are after this is a sweet deal as the vehicle is in mint condition has been well maintained,low mileage, has all the history,as a used vehicle it dont get any better, i'd see if he's a bit negotiable on that price, maybe offer $18K?
I told him I was interested, but haven't tried to negotiate a price yet. He said that a couple other folks were interested, but he would let me know first prior to selling it. The truck is as new, since he doesn't smoke, has no pets, or children. Thought I would wait until he is ready to move and then make the offer at that point. The shorty bed doesn't bother me as the truck's overall length makes it easier to fit inside the garage. I also checked the bed and it's actually carpeted with some grey fuzzy material all over and up the sides including the tail-gate. It looks nice, but not sure how it would hold up in the long run. A new truck optioned like this would cost me in the 30s + tax and I just can't afford it. I think I buy it, but will try to get a better price. When I check autotrader and ebay it's hard to find anything like this with low miles.

Thanks a lot for the all the responses!

Old 04-30-2014, 11:08 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Silverados are GREAT and TOUGH vehicles.

I had an '87 for 18 years and about 130k miles . . . to this date I'm sorry I sold it way back in 2005.

As for your question, Croce . . . what are your plans for it? If you want / need a "work truck" then I would guess there are more practical models available but, on the other hand, for a great looking Pick-Up at a fair price . . . GO FOR IT.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:18 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
OP you should look for a 3 to 4 year old CPO truck with some factory warranty still left on it for about the same price or a bit more then your friend is asking it would be worth it to shop around and see what is out there.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:51 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
To me the whole point of getting an extended cab over a crew cab is longer bed, but you'll lose that advantage with this truck. Those short beds are useless to me, anytime you haul a larger object you won't be able to close the tailgate.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:15 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
And if you do buy it...do yourself a favor and price out extended warranties. Usually around $2K but the 7 year old factor may throw it off a bit.

When we sold our 2008 it only had 32k on it as well...but mostly because I was working from home and didn't drive it except for hauling stuff.

Still vote for an F-150 though

Old 04-30-2014, 02:21 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
And if you do buy it...do yourself a favor and price out extended warranties. Usually around $2K but the 7 year old factor may throw it off a bit.

When we sold our 2008 it only had 32k on it as well...but mostly because I was working from home and didn't drive it except for hauling stuff.

Still vote for an F-150 though

Extended warranties are a waste of money on domestic stuff.....Save the 2K and put it towards the first repair. If it was a BMW/Mercedes/Jaguar the extended warranties usually pay for themselves due to the expensive repairs at the dealer.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:26 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Extended warranties are a waste of money on domestic stuff.....Save the 2K and put it towards the first repair. If it was a BMW/Mercedes/Jaguar the extended warranties usually pay for themselves due to the expensive repairs at the dealer.
Somewhat true...my Mom had a Tahoe that went through 3 transmissions, all between 36k and 60k miles...yes it was a bad replacement, another bad replacement and then they finally got it right type of situation...but they (the $tealership) insisted that they didn't screw anything up. All covered under extended warranty. For the most part I agree that on domestics it is not worth it but it could be worth it in the long run.

Like I said..the 7 years old factor may make it a moot point anyway. All I was suggesting was to price it out and see if it makes sense to the OP.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:34 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
I have had 10+ GM pickups and a Tahoe that combined easily went over 1mm miles. I bought all of them brand new, kept them all past the 100K mark with the exception of the Tahoe (45K miles, wife hated it).

Never changed an A/C part other than dash switches, one transmission, one rear end spline, two waterpumps in all of those experiences......the rest were brakes, batteries, tires etc.

To the OP, it is a nice "old man" truck but he is asking all the money and being it is the old body style I don't think it is worth 20K. Extra cab, short bed making it more valuable is nonsense.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:53 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
A friend bought a similar 2WD truck a few months ago, but not a Z71, and fewer miles. I think his was a 2011-2012 and he paid about $26K for it. I know he did the research. Except for the lack of warranty, that is a lot of truck for $20K.

I just sold my F150 to a neighbor. He said, and I agree, that knowing the owner for a while goes a long way towards buying confidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC