Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:13 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Does anybody remember the Chevrolet Citation? I used to see those cars all the time but now I rarely see those cars anymore, they were quite popular back in the 1980s and I'm wondering why they're so scarce?
I remember them and the only reason you don't see them anymore is probably because they're in junk yards.

They were garbage; I knew a couple of people who owned them and they had all kinds of problems with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 09:20 PM

31 posts, read 165,325 times
The Citation was'nt the first time GM tried FWD.
The 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado was the first....follewd by the Cadillac El Dorado from 1967 to the present.

Buick Riviera had V6 FWD in 1978 and even a turbo'd model too.

The Citation may have been Chevy's first attempt at FWD, but the other divisions had it years before.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:52 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
I remember going to a chevy dealer in 1980 or 81 and taking a Citation for a test drive. They had a 4 door hatchback version that made it almost as handy as a SUV to haul around stuff in back if you needed to. At the time I was driving a 1970 pontiac tempest, a pretty decent car, very solid and reliable. I didn't like the Citation, it seemed like a rattle trap right off the factory line. Cars like that are a big reason GM took a nosedive in popularity among buyers, it's hard to restore an image of quality after pumping out so many junk cars. It has taken GM 25+ years to watch their car market share plummet to the bottom, and finally in the last couple of years they have turned out some very good cars that I like.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:27 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt121779 View Post
I see a few of them here and there still in Vegas, but I think a lot of people would not be able to tell you the name of that vehicle. The Citation and Celebrity both are sort of obscure strange cars that dont really have much character, so no one pays much mind to them.
I still see several of the Citation's in my area and there are a few that are still well maintained, I see alot more Celebrity's than I do with the Citation's, I thought the Celebrity's were decent cars and they didn't seem to get a horrible reputation like the Citation's did.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:29 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,881 times
Does anybody remember the Pontiac version of the Chevrolet Citation called the Phoenix? You rarely see those cars around anymore, you never even seen alot of them back in the 1980s, I liked the Phoenix's better than the Citation's.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:16 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
I knew someone who had a chevy citation till last year! What an ugly piece of junk. The other piece of junk, the Celebrity is still seen from time to time.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:47 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
I saw an episode of Superboy (who remembers that TV show????) where some woman was blowing stuff up...she was walking down a street and tossed a bomb into the driver side open window of a parked Chevy Citation. 2 seconds later the car exploded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Does anybody remember the Pontiac version of the Chevrolet Citation called the Phoenix? You rarely see those cars around anymore, you never even seen alot of them back in the 1980s, I liked the Phoenix's better than the Citation's.
Yes I remember the Phoenix. If you remember in 1977 Pontiac had a Nova knock off called the "Ventura", then in 1978 the Ventura was renamed the "Phoenix"...it was still based on the Chevy Nova, and even looked like a Nova but with different tail lamps and head lamps/grille/nose. I think they made them in 1979 but yes in 1980 the Phoenix was a knock off of the Citation, yet I think it retained somewhat of the same nose as the 1978 Phoenix had.

It seems none of the Chevy knock off cars from the Olds/Buick/Pontiac/Cadillac lines made much of an impression and didn't seem to last long/was well known of. I'm sure trying to find parts for such cars has to be a real challenge.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:26 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
My dad had two Pontiac Phoenixes and thye were great for hauling stuff in the hatchback but nothing but problems mechanically. They were in the shop all the time and the shop would say it was fixed and it stopped working again.

The biggest problems were stalling at stopsigns/lights or in the intersection and having no power to accelerate at random times like merging onto the freeway. By now power I mean not going above 25 mph.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:17 AM

288 posts, read 1,554,973 times
I always thought they were Chevettes on steroids. I always liked the body styles of both, but never had the luxury of owning either.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:18 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,510 times
They were just single use commuter cars, nothing more. How many 80’s Toyota 4x4 mini trucks do you see now? Everyone and his brother had one then now they are nowhere to be found.
How many 80’s Hondas, Toyotas, datson/nissans, are in the crusher?
These cars were use once and discard. No one would even consider rebuilding one. The cost to rebuild it would be about the same as a newer better car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC