Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,670 times

Advertisements

I need a 1 ton extended passenger van for growing family and occasional towing of a 5000 lb stock trailer (loaded). Found three nice vans with varying ages and miles.

1. 1997 Ford E350, single owner (LA county), 6.8 V10, 4 spd tranny with only 28000 miles for $11000. Nice shape, sliding side door (which I like), vinyl floor/seats (great for kids), but I'll have to put on a trailer hitch and wiring. My concern is that even though it is in great shape and probably maintained well by LA County, that the age (17 years) will put the transmission and other rubber (hoses, etc.) at risk. This van is priced well above KBB at a dealership, but looks and acts like a newer van. I've heard mixed opinions on the 6.8 and throwing spark plugs...apparently the vans didn't have the issues that truck had.(?)

2. 2011 Chevy Express LT, unknown # owners, 6.0 V8, 6 spd tranny with 108,000 miles for $15,500. Also in good shape, has factory tow package w/ tow/haul mode, all bells and whistles but does not have sliding door or vinyl floor/seats. It is priced a couple thousand above KBB at a dealer.

3. 2004 Ford E350 XLT, unknown # owners, 6.8 V10, 4 spd tranny with 99,500 miles for $9995. Also in good shape, but needs a trailer hitch/wiring added. Does not have sliding door.

- I like the 97 E350 for the V10 power, vinyl interior, sliding door and low miles, but have reservations due primarily to age and also no tow/haul mode.

- I like the 11 Chevy Express for the 6 spd tranny, 6.0 (solid engine and slightly better gas mileage than 6.8 Ford), factory tow package and that it is only 3 yrs old, but don't like the lack of a sliding door or the price.

- The 04 E350 seems almost a middle compromise, but still doesn't have the tow package, sliding door, or vinyl.

Any thoughts? Is the age of the 97 E350 that big of a deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 12:20 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Hard to believe that a 17 year old van has only 28k miles/1.7k per year.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:28 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erlars View Post
I need a 1 ton extended passenger van for growing family and occasional towing of a 5000 lb stock trailer (loaded). Found three nice vans with varying ages and miles.

1. 1997 Ford E350, single owner (LA county), 6.8 V10, 4 spd tranny with only 28000 miles for $11000. Nice shape, sliding side door (which I like), vinyl floor/seats (great for kids), but I'll have to put on a trailer hitch and wiring. My concern is that even though it is in great shape and probably maintained well by LA County, that the age (17 years) will put the transmission and other rubber (hoses, etc.) at risk. This van is priced well above KBB at a dealership, but looks and acts like a newer van. I've heard mixed opinions on the 6.8 and throwing spark plugs...apparently the vans didn't have the issues that truck had.(?)

2. 2011 Chevy Express LT, unknown # owners, 6.0 V8, 6 spd tranny with 108,000 miles for $15,500. Also in good shape, has factory tow package w/ tow/haul mode, all bells and whistles but does not have sliding door or vinyl floor/seats. It is priced a couple thousand above KBB at a dealer.

3. 2004 Ford E350 XLT, unknown # owners, 6.8 V10, 4 spd tranny with 99,500 miles for $9995. Also in good shape, but needs a trailer hitch/wiring added. Does not have sliding door.

- I like the 97 E350 for the V10 power, vinyl interior, sliding door and low miles, but have reservations due primarily to age and also no tow/haul mode.

- I like the 11 Chevy Express for the 6 spd tranny, 6.0 (solid engine and slightly better gas mileage than 6.8 Ford), factory tow package and that it is only 3 yrs old, but don't like the lack of a sliding door or the price.

- The 04 E350 seems almost a middle compromise, but still doesn't have the tow package, sliding door, or vinyl.

Any thoughts? Is the age of the 97 E350 that big of a deal?
Yeah the 97 with the 6.8 SOHC 2-Valve V-10 will have the all the problems the F-series did with the same engine which are many to list and then add that it is a 17 year old cargo Van that have to assume will need to have the spark plugs replaced and the 3-pice and threads ford used made them very difficult to remove and most independent shops will say that do not be surprised if they have an issue with stripped or missing spark plug threads in the cylinder heads and that you may have to buy a replacement set of Aftermarket Heads that correct the default.

I would say go for the 6.0 V-8 Chevy Express or find a 03 and below 7.3 power Stroke Diesel in the E-series. If you want a gasser E-series the 1996 had the Ford 385 family of Big-block 460ci V-8 engines or 7.5 liter EFI that are better then the 6.8 Triton V-10 2-valve and 3-valve.

As for the GM models finding a Chevy or GM full-size 1-ton with the 8.1 Vortec V-8 is one of the best Gasser motors out there in terms of reliability and being produced from 2001-2008 makes them perfect to pick up used.

But man the prices for those Vans here in PNW are alot less and most used car dealers cannot move them off their lots since Full-size crew cab PU Trucks with a bed canopy and the smaller Chevy Astro Vans make Full-size van more towards 15 passenger hauling duty which is small limited market/

The vans have a very high roll over risk add in the fact not that great in cross winds or person moving around in the back or having a load shift makes them unstable and prone to rollover. Same with emergency maneuvers or quick steering movements to merge or pass can unsettle them and cause them to flip.

A full-Size C/K 2500 3/4 Ton Chevy Suburban Ford Exclusion and Ford Expedition might be better choices and are actually safer unless you need to carry 15 passengers and tow 500o pounds since for 15 passengers you are limited to those two vehicles.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:31 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
I'm not sure the age of the '97 is that big a deal. I can't tell you offhand what determines how often is often enough to run a vehicle, but you would have to poke around under the hood, anyway.

If the vinyl and sliding doors are the big priority, it won't be a big deal to get a harness, hitch and trans cooler put on. That E-van might even have a trans cooler on it from the factory, though smaller than one that comes with the factory tow package. My '03 F150 only had the 4-plug trailer harness, so no official tow package, but it actually does have a factory trans cooler.

The one definite idea about those Tritons and blowing plugs is that 28 ft/lbs of torque or more will keep them in place. Voila!

As for the lack of belief that such a huge vehicle has so little miles...well, you can't park that van just anywhere.

So, get the '97. Evidently, it fits your needs and they all don't just magically roll over.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:33 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Yeah the 97 with the 6.8 SOHC 2-Valve V-10 will have the all the problems the F-series did with the same engine which are many to list and then add that it is a 17 year old cargo Van that have to assume will need to have the spark plugs replaced and the 3-pice and threads ford used made them very difficult to remove
No three-piece plugs on a v10 that far back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC