Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 01:50 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I actually had to replace the brake lines on my '02 Suburban, due to rust. Something that never happened on my Range Rovers (which were quite reliable). The Rangies simply don't tow as much as the 2500 series big block Suburban, which is why I have the suburban now instead of a fourth Range Rover...
You are the first owner of a Range Rover that I know of that hasn't had a lot of serious problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 02:29 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,284,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
You are the first owner of a Range Rover that I know of that hasn't had a lot of serious problems.
I've had 3 of them without serious problems, and I drove the last two all over the east coast. They are simple to work on and parts for the earlier ones are cheap. Just do NOT let the dealers work on them...

my '88 had some issues, but it was an $800 beater truck that was mostly used for offroading. My '95 County LWB had the air ride replaced with standard coil springs, and was a great rig when I sold it with 120k miles on it, not even rusty like the early ones can get. The '01 4.6 HSE was a really nice driver, and went all over the place reliably. I did replace the air bags at 100k miles due to age cracking of the rubber, but they were just over $100 per corner from Arnott, and took about 15 minutes per corner to swap out. Great truck and I miss it.

That last pic was taken in Hew Hampshire, up in teh White Mountains. THis one was taken in Ohio, on the way back from Cedar Point:

It just wouldn't tow the replacement larger travel trailer, so it had to go.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:04 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
I think this will happen after the next generation of Duramax engines go into production. There are companies tha will convert them for you if you must have a diesel one now.

Chevrolet sold a lot of 6.5L turbo diesel models. They should have a diesel option now IMO.
It could happen sooner if GM exercises it's rights to use the same VM Motori V6 unit that Ram is using in their 1500s right now.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:08 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
A 4x4 Suburban already gets 22MPG highway. Will probably go up to 24MPG when it gets the new 8 speed. It's fine.
That is complete BS, don't believe the EPA ratings. I just sold my 07 tahoe that had the exact same drive train with displacement on demand and all not long ago. It was rated 16 city/ 21 highway and it wouldn't get over 16 unless you towed it. I drove it multiple times over 600 miles each way on vacations on the interstate and it averaged 16.5 every single time. The suburban would be slightly worse with the extra weight and wind drag.

They are great trucks though. Probably one of the best built and most reliable vehicles on the road. I have had several with the same 5.3L engine and 4L60E transmission drive train and have never had a single issue with any of them. I have a silverado I drive daily with over 350,000 miles on it and I just recently finally had to replace the alternator. The water pump, radiator, etc is still original. The fuel pumps do go out at around 125,000 miles predictably but this is the norm across GM and I have grown to consider it routine maintenance.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:10 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
That is complete BS, don't believe the EPA ratings. I just sold my 07 tahoe that had the exact same drive train with displacement on demand and all not long ago.
You did not have the exact same drivetrain. The new Ecotec3 engines not only have displacement on demand, they are also direct injection and have continuously variable valve timing which the 07 did not.

The new Tahoe and Suburban also have better coefficients of drag.

Not BS. Science. Progress. New.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/p...3-engines.html

Old 09-19-2014, 03:24 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,139 times
Their will never be another SUV like the suburban though, it also paved the way for it's sister suv the tahoe, yukon and the blinged out cadillac escalade.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:30 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
A Duramax Suburban would sell very well.
I was thinking more along the lines of the TDI engine that's in the Audi Q7 and Volkswagen Touareg.

From what I've read, it looks like that engine would provide more than adequate power and pretty decent mpg.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It could happen sooner if GM exercises it's rights to use the same VM Motori V6 unit that Ram is using in their 1500s right now.
That little 2.8L diesel they are putting in the Colorado will actually have more output than the old 6.5L diesel in the old Suburbans. I wouldn't be shocked if they try it in the SUVs with a good 8 speed.

There are rumors that a de-tuned 6.6L (which won't shred a 6L80 transmission) from the Express will find its way into the half ton trucks as well. There's also a 4.5L design floating around somewhere.

Either the 6.6L or a smaller 6 or 4 cylinder diesel would only make an already awesome SUV better.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:50 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
A 4x4 Suburban already gets 22MPG highway. Will probably go up to 24MPG when it gets the new 8 speed. It's fine.
Yeah, but the mpg is in 2WD mode, right?

If so, that's unacceptable in my book.

If it gets, at least, 20 mpg city and 25 mpg highway in 4WD or AWD mode, then I would give it a serious look.

Otherwise, Chevrolet (GM) still has a lot of work to do, in my opinion.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Yeah, but the mpg is in 2WD mode, right?

If so, that's unacceptable in my book.

If it gets, at least, 20 mpg city and 25 mpg highway in 4WD or AWD mode, then I would give it a serious look.

Otherwise, Chevrolet (GM) still has a lot of work to do, in my opinion.
Actually that's pretty close to, if not the best in class for a full sized gasoline SUV that can actually tow something. A 3.6L Subaru Outback barely gets 25. The Land Cruiser gets 18 on the highway. The Armada gets 19. The Expedition gets 20. I'm pretty sure the insanely powerful 6.2L Suburban beats those easily.

These are real SUVs that can tow up to 5 tons. 25 mpg likely won't happen without a diesel powertrain, and people who need something this large with this kind of towing capability and low range four wheel drive don't really have many fuel efficient options.

GM is actually well ahead of the curve in this segment. I just wish they'd offer a diesel.

Last edited by tigerphan; 09-19-2014 at 04:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC