Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,196 times

Advertisements

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 4WD with 177,000 miles that has provided me trouble free service until recently. While driving in 2WD at around 60mph the truck suddenly began decelerating and was acting like it was in NEUTRAL although it showed on the panel to be in 2WD and the gear shift in "D". I pulled off the road and Put the truck in NEUTRAL and then pushed the 2WD button again....got back on the road and within 5 minutes the same thing occurred. Now, whenever I am in 2WD mode it slips into NEUTRAL even though the gear shift is in NEUTRAL. Now, the ONLY way I keep it from doing that is to push the 4WD AUTO button and the problem goes away. Any help or suggestions on what may be the problem before I take it to the Dealership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 03:20 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
The shift cable is likely gone. Happened to me two years ago. It's the lower cable, but it's sold as an assembly. 135 dollars. Your dealer will have it on the shelf as this is a common problem. My dealer gave me the upper half of the cable to hoard.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 PM
rgy

2 posts, read 1,780 times
CCc girl is wrong, it is the transfer case actuator. This is a very, very common issue with these trucks, I had mine jumping into 4x4 high while doing 80 mph on the highway. The actuator on the transfer case controls Auto 4x4, 4x2 high, 4x4 high, 4x4 low, and transfer case neutral. You can either remove the encoder within the actuator and replace it, or purchase a whole new actuator. Removing the actuator involves disconnecting the front drive shaft from the front differential and pushing it forward slightly to get proper access at the actuator bolts. You can expect around $500 for a dealership to replace the actuator.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:40 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
^^^ true, could be that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC