Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 11:59 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,097,246 times

Advertisements

This is a weird question. I have a 2008 Pontiac Torrent AWD, 3.4 L engine, 5-speed Automatic, 3500 lb class 3 towing hitch.

I have a 2200lb sail boat(total for trailer, boat, OB), and I have no doubt that it will pull it fine. I used to pull a much heavier camper with a Voyager Van with about the same engine power.

But my question is about pulling the boat and trailing out of the water up a ramp. It would appear that the traction control could interfere with the pulling. It will reduce engine power, and stop the wheels from spinning by braking. However on a ramp I need all the engine power I can get, and if the wheels spin then the AWD will kick in. Common sense says that I should disable the traction control just to pull the boat out. Then if the wheels spin, the engine power won't drop, and the spin will cause the AWD to kick in right away.

I've asked this question everywhere without an answer. BTW, the Torrent is very similar to the Chevy Equinox(though the Pontiac Torrent implementation was much nicer).

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 07:07 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,381,327 times
I've got a 2008 Chevy Equinox identically configured. And I've had a LOT of other GM vehicles with traction control. I think the traction control won't cut total power, but will direct it to the wheels with the best traction. Spinning wheels aren't going to help you get your boat up the ramp anyway. And the AWD system works when it is needed, regardless of whether traction control is on or off.

I think you are concerned about nothing. And while you may think your Torrent is much nicer than my Equinox, I think they are virtually identical--and they still make Chevys and have Chevy dealers.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:53 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,097,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I've got a 2008 Chevy Equinox identically configured. And I've had a LOT of other GM vehicles with traction control. I think the traction control won't cut total power, but will direct it to the wheels with the best traction. Spinning wheels aren't going to help you get your boat up the ramp anyway. And the AWD system works when it is needed, regardless of whether traction control is on or off.

I think you are concerned about nothing. And while you may think your Torrent is much nicer than my Equinox, I think they are virtually identical--and they still make Chevy s and have Chevy dealers.
All the boaters say to turn off traction control because any reduction in engine power will be a potential problem on a ramp bulling a boat and trailer out of the water. Any my Chevy dealer used to be a Pontiac and Chevy dealer, and is still a Pontiac and Chevy dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC