Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 10:27 AM

245 posts, read 503,625 times

Advertisements

I rented a Chevy Malibu last week (which had the start/stop button on the dash rather than needing a key to start it) and the trunk never seemed to lock. I would lock the car but the manual trunk button under the trunk lid by the camera would still open the trunk with the car locked.

Is this a bad design feature and the trunk never actually locks? Or does it lock when the key fob is far enough away from the car?

I didn't trust leaving anything in the trunk of this car....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 12:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
That's because there is a proximity sensor in your key fob that tells the car that you are the driver. Lock the car, then leave that inside the house in a far room, and try it again. Keyless entry.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:52 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
I was more disappointed that every time you come up to
a stop the car shuts down until you hit the gas

It took a bit, but found a way around this silly engineering marvel

Old 07-31-2018, 03:22 PM

245 posts, read 503,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's because there is a proximity sensor in your key fob that tells the car that you are the driver. Lock the car, then leave that inside the house in a far room, and try it again. Keyless entry.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that's how it worked...

Old 08-01-2018, 10:40 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I was more disappointed that every time you come up to
a stop the car shuts down until you hit the gas

It took a bit, but found a way around this silly engineering marvel

Most new cars do that these days. A lady came into my buddy's Audi dealership to return her new Audi. She was complaining that every time she'd come to a stop the car would die and when she tried to restart it, it would say that it's already running, so she'd shut it off again and restart it, and all the while cars were honking at her to go, and how could something so expensive be broken already?

He tried to explain to her that most new cars did that to save fuel and that it was a properly working car. She didn't believe him and was going to go buy a BMW instead. Hate to break it to her but they do it too.

It may not seem like it saves much gas to the individual owner, but spread that out over a few million cars doing that and you start to see millions of barrels of oil saved per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC