Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 04:31 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
I bought a 2019. It will get traded in after the warranty expires (most likely 2024) and then we will figure out what is next. I most likely wouldn't have purchased the VW had it not been for the warranty.
I understand. Glad it's not a 2018.

I'd caution what they'll give you on trade for that thing out of warranty. Might be better to dump it while there is still 6 mos etc. left on it imo especially if it has been buggy.

Longer warranties are done to sell cars and are driven by 2 reasons.

1) A horrible track record of break downs and repair costs. (Which is why the Chrysler started offering much longer transmission and engine warranties among others).

2) Newer player or unproven technology like hybrid components which is why Hybrids and Hyundais had 10 year/100k mile coverage on the expensive stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 04:45 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Owned 2 Escalades and really had no trouble with either. Traded in the first one as the odometer was approaching 150k for the 2004. Had the '04 problem free with exception of brake lines(rotted out) fuel pump(shop) and fuel injectors(did myself). Drove it for 13 years, frame was pretty rusty due to our NJ salt roads i reckon Traded it in with 99k miles on it for the CTS. CTS I unloaded after a year. Was nice but everywhere I went I was worried about it gettin stolen or dinged up. And the back seat wasn't as big as I wanted for a full size vehicle.
Now I got 2 Dodge Rams 1500 and I'll probably never go back to a Cadillac again. Just too many bells and whistles and I noticed, though the CTS was beautiful inside and out, the interior really felt kinda cheaply made IMO for the money their askin.
Good luck OP

Old 01-03-2019, 04:51 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
That's great... Nothing like enjoying your car and not having to dump money into it. Outside of basic maint. of course.

For me, I will never buy another pre-owned GM product. Both of my Escalades were money pits
A sample size of two isn't statistically meaningful.

But, hey, at least it's an upgrade from the same size of one that people tend to think is a meaningful predictor.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:30 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
This is purely a bitching post as i think I now have a form of PTSD from owning this 2011 Escalade ESV over the last 3 years

The goal was to pay it off next month and drive it for the next 5 years but we have had enough. I should have learned my lesson after the first ESV we owned was a money pit.

Our 2011 Escalade ESV with 137k is finally out of my garage and I couldn't be happier about it. We bought it at the end of its original corporate lease/ owner with 70k on it back in Jan 2016. It was maintained and repaired often and on time to keep it safe as this was out main family vehicle.

In those 3 short years I had to replace the battery, camber bolts, serp belt and tensioner, a motor mount or two, power steering hoses, front shocks, oil pressure sensor, new plugs and wires, awd and tranny services, cc relay switch, new rims due to OEM rims leaking air, steering intermittent shaft , and then 2 days in a row it left my wife stranded and no one could figure out why. AAA tested the battery and alternator. both were fine. Over $7k in repairs in the last 36 months ( 60K miles worth of easy driving) and it needed another $1-1,500 when I dumped it! . Biggest POS I have ever owned.

Good Riddance!
Everything in RED is a normal maintenance or wear n' tear item, to be expected on its way to 137k miles.

As far as the new rims, most 2011 Escalades have either 20" or 22" rims, you can bend a rim hitting a pothole without immediately getting a flat tire. This is par for the course, as is curb rash.

Even with all of the above. It doesn't sound like a lemon. Issues surfaced and you addressed them. Never recurred after you fixed them, it sounds.

You think this is a nightmare? Try buying a new Land Rover, then finding out it requires new brakes by 18k, rotors by 36k, TWO new batteries by 50k, various electric motors for convenience features failing, air suspension dies...

Old 01-03-2019, 05:40 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
isn't the escalade the same as a suburban? those are supposed to be quite reliable.

You complained about a few thousand in repairs, but ended up spending much bigger bucks on another car under the premise of reliability, but in the end you would have saved more money staying in the old money pit.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:21 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
isn't the escalade the same as a suburban? those are supposed to be quite reliable.

You complained about a few thousand in repairs, but ended up spending much bigger bucks on another car under the premise of reliability, but in the end you would have saved more money staying in the old money pit.
I dont know what kind of person buys a Cadillac at 70K miles with questionable history and expects it to be perfect.
If hes going to pay the ridiculous price to buy a Cadillac with 70K miles, instead of buying a new small car for the same price, he kinda deserved the hassle he got.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:24 PM

686 posts, read 804,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I dont know what kind of person buys a Cadillac at 70K miles with questionable history and expects it to be perfect.
If hes going to pay the ridiculous price to buy a Cadillac with 70K miles, instead of buying a new small car for the same price, he kinda deserved the hassle he got.
I love that 70k is a huge mileage number for some of you auto experts. It’s not a big number for Toyota drivers that’s for sure. My brother in laws 2011 sequoia is running strong at 180k and he’s had to do NONE of the repairs or routine maintenance I mentioned I did on the Cadillac.
Read the thread harry. All service was done on time and documented. The rig was a POS plain and simple. I’ll never own another GM product unless it’s given to me

Last edited by Familyman6; 01-03-2019 at 07:34 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 07:31 PM

686 posts, read 804,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post

A few thousand? Over 7k and another 1500 needed is more than your average routine maintainence costs. Lol.

I’ll take my chances with a new under warranty vehicle. I’ll get at least 100k out of the new VW without spending hardly anything out of pocket in maint. Then I will trade it in for something else when the first big issue comes along. That will get me 7-8 years of worry free driving. The piece of mind alone is worth spending the money on a new auto. After all, in today’s society an auto is more Of a monthly utility than anything else.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:33 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
That's great... Nothing like enjoying your car and not having to dump money into it. Outside of basic maint. of course.

For me, I will never buy another pre-owned GM product. Both of my Escalades were money pits
Being pre-owned may be the reason ... somebody else was getting rid of trouble.

I have a Corvette that I bought pre-owned. It was 3 years old at the time and had 12,000 miles on it. It was a "certified pre-owned" and I got a full year bumper to bumper warranty. I've never had an issue with it, but it's in the garage most of the time. Even maintenance is expensive though ... new tires are about $1500 for Michelins.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:39 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Probably because used Cadillacs are a lot cheaper than new. Cadillacs have a terrible cost retention. Our 2013 ATS cost about $46K when it was new, has 40,000 miles on it, looks and runs like new ... but is virtually worthless on a trade in or sell. And my wife loves it, so it'll be around for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC