Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 01:21 PM

686 posts, read 804,768 times

Advertisements

This is purely a bitching post as i think I now have a form of PTSD from owning this 2011 Escalade ESV over the last 3 years

The goal was to pay it off next month and drive it for the next 5 years but we have had enough. I should have learned my lesson after the first ESV we owned was a money pit.

Our 2011 Escalade ESV with 137k is finally out of my garage and I couldn't be happier about it. We bought it at the end of its original corporate lease/ owner with 70k on it back in Jan 2016. It was maintained and repaired often and on time to keep it safe as this was out main family vehicle.

In those 3 short years I had to replace the battery, camber bolts, serp belt and tensioner, a motor mount or two, power steering hoses, front shocks, oil pressure sensor, new plugs and wires, awd and tranny services, cc relay switch, new rims due to OEM rims leaking air, steering intermittent shaft , and then 2 days in a row it left my wife stranded and no one could figure out why. AAA tested the battery and alternator. both were fine. Over $7k in repairs in the last 36 months ( 60K miles worth of easy driving) and it needed another $1-1,500 when I dumped it! . Biggest POS I have ever owned.

Good Riddance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 01:26 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
We have a 2013 ATS 3.6 and love it. Basically have never had any problems with it. I think the dealer put new brake pads on the front under warranty one time.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
We have a 2013 ATS 3.6 and love it. Basically have never had any problems with it. I think the dealer put new brake pads on the front under warranty one time.
That's great... Nothing like enjoying your car and not having to dump money into it. Outside of basic maint. of course.

For me, I will never buy another pre-owned GM product. Both of my Escalades were money pits

Old 01-02-2019, 01:49 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
This is purely a bitching post as i think I now have a form of PTSD from owning this 2011 Escalade ESV over the last 3 years

The goal was to pay it off next month and drive it for the next 5 years but we have had enough. I should have learned my lesson after the first ESV we owned was a money pit.

Our 2011 Escalade ESV with 137k is finally out of my garage and I couldn't be happier about it. We bought it at the end of its original corporate lease/ owner with 70k on it back in Jan 2016. It was maintained and repaired often and on time to keep it safe as this was out main family vehicle.

In those 3 short years I had to replace the battery, camber bolts, serp belt and tensioner, a motor mount or two, power steering hoses, front shocks, oil pressure sensor, new plugs and wires, awd and tranny services, cc relay switch, new rims due to OEM rims leaking air, steering intermittent shaft , and then 2 days in a row it left my wife stranded and no one could figure out why. AAA tested the battery and alternator. both were fine. Over $7k in repairs in the last 36 months ( 60K miles worth of easy driving) and it needed another $1-1,500 when I dumped it! . Biggest POS I have ever owned.

Good Riddance!
A lot of what you listed are wear or maintenance items.
Battery from a 2011.
Plugs and wires.
Serpentine belt. Tensioner maybe not but I've had to replace them on a couple vehicles (a couple Fords and a Subaru) at 100K.
Front shocks.
Transmission service (fluid and filter?).
Power steering hoses maybe not so much but age and mileage degrade them as well as cooling system hoses.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:50 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
See: other current thread where posters are complaining because no one recommends anything but Toyota and Honda to those who ask about reliable models.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:53 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
That's great... Nothing like enjoying your car and not having to dump money into it. Outside of basic maint. of course.

For me, I will never buy another pre-owned GM product. Both of my Escalades were money pits
I don't mean to be [bleep], but why did you buy another one? Was it a newer model?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-03-2019 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A lot of what you listed are wear or maintenance items.
Battery from a 2011.
Plugs and wires.
Serpentine belt. Tensioner maybe not but I've had to replace them on a couple vehicles (a couple Fords and a Subaru) at 100K.
Front shocks.
Transmission service (fluid and filter?).
Power steering hoses maybe not so much but age and mileage degrade them as well as cooling system hoses.
I have never in my life had to replace a serpentine belt/ tensioner, front struts, or replace spark plugs and wires before 100k miles. these things would have been done eventually but for all of these things to fail around 100k is just plain manufacturer junk. I wouldnt have cared had we abused the car but that certainly wasnt the case. When we got rid of it more steering compnents needed replaced and 3 of the 4 seat heaters would smell like they were about to catch fire. Simple, American cars are junk (Im a ford fan)

Last edited by Familyman6; 01-02-2019 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I don't mean to be [bleep], but why did you buy another one? Was it a newer model?
LOL- Legit question. As the saying goes, Happy Wife Happy Life. The 2006 we owned before was running great for the last 18 months and then it got hit. We replaced it with this 2011 as it was a newer model and basically the same color and features. I didnt want to buy it but at the time there wasnt much avaialable on the used market where we were.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-03-2019 at 10:21 AM..

Old 01-02-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
See: other current thread where posters are complaining because no one recommends anything but Toyota and Honda to those who ask about reliable models.
true. I love me a toyota. Not a Honda fan as I think they are noisy and not very comfortable. Tried to get my wife into a highlander but it was too small and she hates the sequoia. We went with a VW Atlas because it offers more room( minus cargo) than the full size and its fully covered for 72k miles.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:08 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I hear ya, if I weighed in however I would have noted that you typically pay more for those models, they have fewer bells and whistles that can go wrong and to be frank the quality of Toyota in particular isn't a big of gap over Ford for example that it once was.

Of course that all varies by model too. Toyota has typically had more Truck than Car troubles for example.

To the OP:

The biggest RED FLAG out there is to pull up Kelly Blue Book and see what 2,3...6 year old vehicles typically go for that you are looking at.

You'll notice that some take a big price hit around the time they come off warranty, that should tell you something. Not all of that speaks to quality but also cost to repair is a big factor.

For example, you can get a used 2012 BMW 7-series for the very low 20's with not much over 50k in miles on it. About what it costs to buy a 2013 Toyota Highlander SE with 50k miles or so. (Just looked nationwide on Carmax) The BMW probably cost double what that highlander did when brand new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC