Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 14,974 times

Advertisements

I just got rid of my aveo, it was an 06 and I bought it new. I have had nothing but problems with it. I was warned that it was a POS. It has been in the shop for front end noise 4 times, I complained to GM and they could not fix it so gave me a 5 year 100k mile extend on the front end and the air conditioning. The air keeps giving off a wet sock smell when you use it. They kept dumping cleaning solution down the drain of the condenser pan and it would smell like cleaning solution and bubble gum for a week then dirty socks again. The noise in the front end is a squeak when you go over a bump at slow speed. Then just after war. ran out the key celinoid would not disengage and let the key out, also the celinoid that disengaged the block in the shifter lever did not work at the same time. I found several threads on line that seems to indicate that this is not a rare problem. I took the consul apart and found that if I jumped the wires leading to the switch in the shifter it would release the key pin, then I took a zip tie and tied back the block on the shifter lever. I then took the POS to the Toyota dealer and took it up the tail pipe and got 5500 trade in.
I bought a 09 Corolla. The car is much tighter than the aveo and much less road noise. I would not recommend this daewoo to any one. The MPG was good but after buying a GPS system the speedo. was off by 5 MPH, this would show much better MPG than it was really getting.
I just got back from Myrtle Beach, it got 39 mpg there and back, not to bad but it was more like 36 mpg.
This car is cheap but when you factor in all the problems and how cheap it really is I would recommend a Toyota over this POS any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

This one of the biggest reasons GM and Ford are going byby. Ford is cutting production by twenty percent then fifteen next quarter.
This ain't from selling so many cars they want to cool the lines a bit.
Screw the American car company's, they have had ample time to get their crap in line.
I will not buy another Ford or GM product. Chrysler is dead man walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 10:09 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Yeah the Chevy Aveo is really a Daewoo Daewoo Kalos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . I myself sort of make it a point to find out all about who makes what on a car (because the badge can be misleading). I'm sorry to hear you had to go through so much.

That problem you were describing with the key...my mother has had the same problem on her 07 Chevy Cobalt (brought it last August...not even a year). Two times she got stuck somewhere because the steering wheel gets into a position where the key won't turn and start the car (and of course the steering wheel is locked). Chevy says the problem "is common" and that's it. Really unbelievable. So I'm not a fan of Cobalts either.

I hear what you're saying about American cars; although my previous 3 cars were Ford Probes (really Mazda MX-6's in disguise) and they were great. Now I have a Chrysler Sebring Coupe (really a Mitsubishi Eclipse GT in disguise) and I think it's great so far. I rented a Pontiac Vibe (same as Toyota Matrix) and loved that too. So it depends.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:01 PM

742 posts, read 2,067,380 times
I rented an Aveo years ago, back when it was called a Daewoo. Had the same problems with the key dis/engagement. Apparantly, American ownership hasn't made any strides in improvement.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:56 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
My Chevy turned THREE on the 5th of May and I could not be happier or more satisfied.

Other than normal maintenance, only two very simple warranty items (weak rear deck gas struts and a weak battery). By comparison, my neighbor has a two year old Toyota Highlander and it has been in the shop at least a dozen plus times.

Sorry, TJJackson . . . I LOVE MY CHEVY and I would never consider a Toyota.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:48 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Remember the Aveo has German DNA--------which is a very bad thing in a car these days.

The Achilles Heel of a Mercedes, etc. tends to be the electrical system.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:31 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
My Chevy turned THREE on the 5th of May and I could not be happier or more satisfied.

Other than normal maintenance, only two very simple warranty items (weak rear deck gas struts and a weak battery). By comparison, my neighbor has a two year old Toyota Highlander and it has been in the shop at least a dozen plus times.

Must be the only person with a bad highlander, ever one I know who has one has never had a problem or are you just smacking on Toyota? I also notice you don't mention what type of chevy you have. Hmmmmmm

Old 05-25-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Must be the only person with a bad highlander, ever one I know who has one has never had a problem or are you just smacking on Toyota?
No "smacking" or "agenda" whatsoever, trihiker . . . merely stating the facts.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:31 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

I like my Chevy too, but like already mentioned, the Aveo is NOT a real Chevy. Every time I see an Aveo I think of the early 90's Pontiac Lemans that was built by a Korean company, they were junk too.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I like my Chevy too, but like already mentioned, the Aveo is NOT a real Chevy. Every time I see an Aveo I think of the early 90's Pontiac Lemans that was built by a Korean company, they were junk too.
Very valid point, Southern.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:53 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Same company: Daewoo-------I am willing to bet that the above 'Le Mans' and Aveo were/are built on the same basic platform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC