Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:03 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
LOL, you mean Ford will have to do something to keep up with Chevrolet, like always. The GT500's competitor is the Corvette, since they are roughly within the same price range. Last time I checked, the GT500 didn't run to well with the Vette. GM has always had the slight edge over Ford when it comes to muscle cars.
Yeah, Chevy Camaro has always done better than Ford Mustang. So good in fact that with declining sales Chevy had to cancel the model for many years while the Mustang continued chugging along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,051 times
Ugly to say the least. They got a long way to go to hang with Challenger and Mustang in the cosmetics dept. Not saying anything about the performance, I'm sure it's got muscle, but the new Camaro seems to be trying too hard. The tail lights look to be stolen from a Vette, the roof looks like it was chopped 3 inches in a bad attempt to look "cool", and the front end is not mean, it's weak. The oversizes dubs make up for lack of originality in the body lines and the interior is, well, clustered.
I'm a fan of the Gen 1 and Gen II Camaro, but this thing is hideous.
And what happened to the Camaro logo they used for over 30 years? They replace it with that worn out bow-tie.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Yeah, Chevy Camaro has always done better than Ford Mustang. So good in fact that with declining sales Chevy had to cancel the model for many years while the Mustang continued chugging along.
At least Mustang didn't have to stop making thier car for 6 or 7 years just to take time to draw up a new overpriced horrifically styled new product aimed at baby boomers.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,223,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
So you'd think the Mustang would have the edge, yet it doesn't.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I don't know as far as a business and numbers standpoint, but the Mustang seems to have a pretty loyal fanbase that has stood the test of time. I myself am a fan of many older cars, I'm not particular to any make, if it looks good I like it. The new Camaro (to me) does not look very thought out and the new Mustang seems to be very true to it's heritage and well thought out. Guess I'm going out on a limb to say that Chevrolet is going a bit overboard to get sales back by re-releasing the Camaro with such a hefty pricetag. Like I said I don't take sides with automakers at all. If I thought the new Camaro was cool I would admit it, sadly I can't.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:31 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,868,226 times
Wrong. The Corvette is a 2 seat sports car, its Ford counterpart was the Ford GT. The Mustang GT500 (540 hp) is the Camaros counterpart and soundly tromps it. As does the GT over the Corvette.
Get your facts straight

Quote:
LOL, you mean Ford will have to do something to keep up with Chevrolet, like always. The GT500's competitor is the Corvette, since they are roughly within the same price range. Last time I checked, the GT500 didn't run to well with the Vette. GM has always had the slight edge over Ford when it comes to muscle cars.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:32 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,868,226 times
The GT500 sure does have more then an edge over the Camaro SS.

Quote:

Old 09-23-2009, 06:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
The GT500 sure does have more then an edge over the Camaro SS.
the camro SS is suposed to be pitted against the mustang GT not the shelby GT500

Old 09-23-2009, 08:52 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,223,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Wrong. The Corvette is a 2 seat sports car, its Ford counterpart was the Ford GT. The Mustang GT500 (540 hp) is the Camaros counterpart and soundly tromps it. As does the GT over the Corvette.
Get your facts straight
No, your wrong. The GT500 is traditionally compared to the Vette based on price and horsepower. Heres just one link you can take a peak at:

2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR (http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=131034/pageNumber=1?synpartner=edmunds&pageurl=www.edmund s.com/reviews/comparison/articles/131034/article.html - broken link)

"The 2008 Corvette Z06 wins this test against the 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR by 28.6 points, and when you drive the Vette, you immediately understand why."

*Plus how do you think the Camaro would run if GM simply threw a supercharger on the 6.2 like ford did with the 5.4?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Muscle cars? Did you forget the Thunderbolt? Fastest muscle car ever. And Ford pioneered the pony car, so your theory of Ford "catching up" is bogus. The GT500KR is not a Corvette competitor, its a bullish pony car that has the Camaro, Challenger, Charger, etc, picking rubber out of their grilles. The new Vette ZR-1 is definitely a force to be reckoned with, but is in a different class than the Mustang, so why compare? If you want the Vette to scrap with a Stang on the track, pit it against the Cobra R, which can still hang in the corners with the ZR-1 for the most part, and the car is almost a decade old. The current Mustang GT is only .1 seconds slower to 60 than the 425hp SS Camaro, and also outbrakes and outhandles it (with the available Track Pack). Build quality is better, too, and it also gets more mpgs while doing so.

And last I checked I dont recall GM ever winning the top class at LeMans, they didnt field any cars to compete with Ferrari, unlike Ford who mopped up Ferrari for 4 years straight. The top GM (Vette) couldnt even keep the AC Cobras at bay either. Sounds to me like GM is constantly playing catch up with Ford if you ask me. There is more to Ford than what you see here in the States, my friend. Ford is a competetive world force that does extremely well in all forms of racing.

Heck, I can take this a step further and see how GM did against Ford motors in F1? Hmmm. World Rally? Hmmmm. Sorry dude, Ford is far ahead when it comes to competing in many more forms of racing, so the advantage once again goes to Ford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC