Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:53 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,483,080 times

Advertisements

I have a 1989 Chevy Caprice that has been acting strangely for a while...while you're driving it you can feel the engine "pulsing" or "missing" like it's trying to get fuel but can't. There's no pickup and it hesitated when you pulled out into traffic. Well today it was running like it was out of gas-I was flooring the accelerator and it wasn't moving, and when it did, it was verrrry slow. (You know how a car acts when you pull into a gas station on "E", running on fumes?) Now it's in my driveway-cranks but won't start. My hubby sprayed carb/choke cleaner under the hood and it almost started, but no dice. It has a 305 V8 w/quadrojet engine. Everybody says the fuel pump went. Does that sound feasible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 PM

886 posts, read 5,692,876 times
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? You can test the fuel pump by pulling the fuel line off the carb and having some one crank the engine.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:07 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,676,434 times
Are you sure its a 305 and not a 307? The 305's are TBI and the 307's are carbed. The fuel systems are very different so I really need the correct info to give you the right instructions.

I would say fuel filter. If you cant remember the last time it was changed then you need to change it. They should be changed ever 15k or so believe it or not. Dirt cheap for this car, probably $10. VERY VERY simple to change as well. Should be on the right frame rail in front of the rear tire... should be there. Just look for a canister with a line going in and coming out. This is all assuming 305 TBI....

However it could also be the pump.... change the filter first though.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:11 PM

Just had the filter changed 2 weeks ago.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
So, this car definitely has a carburator, a (computer controlled) Quadrajet, right?

Any good shop can test the fuel pump's output and pressure, it bolts right to the block on the passenger's side, you or the shop will need proper flare nut wrenches to take the fuel line (hard line) loose from the pump, but as I recall it's held on by 2 bolts, pretty standard item, I would go out of my way to get a "real" Delco pump if you can, unless GM has off-shored old fuel pump production...which they may have. It's been a while since I changed a carb-type fuel pump.

You may be able to read codes on this car, I am not certain, but I think it has a Check Engine Light, and there is a way to interrogate the system.

How old is your oxygen sensor? Air filter?

JTraik's describing the fuel filter for an injected car. Figure out if you have a carb or central-point fuel injection, until we are certain which system you are working with we can't say what's what.

According to Wikipedia: "1989 marked the first year the Chevrolet Caprice was equipped with fuel injection on a V8 engine. The Ford LTD Crown Victoria had been equipped with fuel injection on its V8s since 1983. The 305 cu in V8 was updated with throttle body electronic fuel-injection. This engine was rated at 170 hp (127 kW) and 255 lb·ft (346 N·m), which was only a slight increase in torque over the carbureted engine. However, the cold weather starts, drivability, fuel economy and emissions were all improved as a result of fuel injection. The 4.3L V6 was no longer the base engine, and was now only available in Taxi and Police optioned Caprices. The 307 engine remained unchanged for station wagons. Rear seat passengers received shoulder belts for the outboard positions and air conditioning was standard on all models."

However they noted that at least in 87 you might get a carbed 307 or 305. GM is notorious for building "Wolfsburg Edition" versions of cars that are not exactly what the catalog says you will get. Particularly during this era.

So you *should* have a central point FI 305. But take a look underhood and see what you have.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

According to Wikipedia: "1989 marked the first year the Chevrolet Caprice was equipped with fuel injection on a V8 engine. The Ford LTD Crown Victoria had been equipped with fuel injection on its V8s since 1983. The 305 cu in V8 was updated with throttle body electronic fuel-injection. This engine was rated at 170 hp (127 kW) and 255 lb·ft (346 N·m), which was only a slight increase in torque over the carbureted engine. However, the cold weather starts, drivability, fuel economy and emissions were all improved as a result of fuel injection. The 4.3L V6 was no longer the base engine, and was now only available in Taxi and Police optioned Caprices. The 307 engine remained unchanged for station wagons. Rear seat passengers received shoulder belts for the outboard positions and air conditioning was standard on all models."

However they noted that at least in 87 you might get a carbed 307 or 305. GM is notorious for building "Wolfsburg Edition" versions of cars that are not exactly what the catalog says you will get. Particularly during this era.

So you *should* have a central point FI 305. But take a look underhood and see what you have.
The 307 was available however even at that vintage you would have to go out of your way to have it. Many more 305s and 350s were put in those things than 307s... however a quadrajet was mentioned in the OP.

If it is a 307 then the only filter is in carb right? I know my '68 does not have a filter in the qjet but has an external one... but im pretty sure if there is no external then its right in the qjet at the inlet. If it is carbed and is a bad pump its much easier than the TBI systems.... the mechanical pumps for the carb are right on the front of the block, TBI is in the tank . I have had good luck with AC-Delco products recently, most of there stuff have been buying is made in USA.

OP, we need this information! Carbed 307 or TBI 305/350?!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,687,173 times
Just a thought outside the box............clogged cat con.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Just a thought outside the box............clogged cat con.
Should still start at least...

Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
The 307 was available however even at that vintage you would have to go out of your way to have it. Many more 305s and 350s were put in those things than 307s... however a quadrajet was mentioned in the OP.

If it is a 307 then the only filter is in carb right? I know my '68 does not have a filter in the qjet but has an external one... but im pretty sure if there is no external then its right in the qjet at the inlet. If it is carbed and is a bad pump its much easier than the TBI systems.... the mechanical pumps for the carb are right on the front of the block, TBI is in the tank . I have had good luck with AC-Delco products recently, most of there stuff have been buying is made in USA.

OP, we need this information! Carbed 307 or TBI 305/350?!
the pump is located in the tank.

It's got a 305 in it---fuel injected.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:19 AM

it's still got the original fuel pump in it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC