Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:58 AM

720 posts, read 2,997,616 times

Advertisements

It's not just affluent suburbs. Sure in a city like Joliet or Aurora they would probably welcome Navistar for the jobs but the NIMBY attitude isn't just affluent suburbs. Even more modest suburbs dont want a garbage dump or a nuclear power plant in their backyard, its just the more affluent suburbs that actually seem to have the pull to keep those things out of their suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 AM

44 posts, read 269,999 times
Affluent, I live in Naperville and trust me Lisle isn't affluent.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:43 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,192,924 times
Navistar is balking because of law suits from a few local residents. Navistar does not want the headaches of litigation and the associated delays. This also used to be a corporate location for Lucent, didn't it? And believe me, the competition is a lot broader and stiffer than Fort Wayne!
The few screwing things up royally for the many.
AND YES affluent locations have more money to fight these situations. It's what has blocked the 53 extension into Lake County for at least 20 years.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:46 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,943,296 times
I believe the history of the site that Navistar is eyeing goes back to the predecessor firms of Lucent, but the documents refer to Lucent as the former user -- Welcome to the Village of Lisle - Document Central

This is pretty clearly "nimby" thinking as the folks with homes over there (which range from kinda modest to "WOWWIEE") have gotten spoiled as the site has been massively underutilized for a really long time as Lucent has been through much turmoil. It sorta boggles my mind that folks would act like they expect it to stay vacant. It totally cries out to be a "HQ / R&D Center" and all things considered that is a pretty decent use of the site.

I hope that sanity prevails and the Lisle elected officials, together with whatever State of Illinois folks get involved, will help Navistar to develop this in a responsible way.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:11 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,335,910 times
Default unbelievable

It is truly unbelievable in this economy that Lisle residents would pass up tax dollars, potential buyers for their homes and weaken the local economy by suing Navistar. These individuals are knuckleheads, and have no idea of a big picture. They would much rather have a hulk of an empty building with cracked parking lots adjacent to their homes. When I read this story, it seemed too amazing to be true. The schools in Lisle must be awful given that the kids have decended from these intelligent litigants.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:09 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,835,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I believe the history of the site that Navistar is eyeing goes back to the predecessor firms of Lucent, but the documents refer to Lucent as the former user -- Welcome to the Village of Lisle - Document Central

This is pretty clearly "nimby" thinking as the folks with homes over there (which range from kinda modest to "WOWWIEE") have gotten spoiled as the site has been massively underutilized for a really long time as Lucent has been through much turmoil. It sorta boggles my mind that folks would act like they expect it to stay vacant.
Its even more amazing that the buildings (well, the majority of them as I understand it) are barely ten years old. We built the Naperville and Lisle campuses of Lucent back in 1998-2000. Unfortunately almost as soon as they opened, cutbacks at Lucent meant much of the Lisle complex was under-utilized for a long time. Why anyone would actually prefer a vacant set of buildings including two big parking garages is beyond me, and a shame. Maybe those residents thought if the buildings stayed vacant long enough, they would just go away?

Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,609,929 times
It is not just affluent communities that fight things. I do think it is a shame that a few loud voices are the ones that have more impact than the silent majority. It would have been a major get for the headquarters to be located in lisle and remain in Illinois and bring jobs etc. Now, the large space can continue to remain vacant and the navistar location down the road in warrenville may very well disappear and remain vacant. I totally understand Navistar saying "screw it" we don't need the negative publicity. We may as well look to a location that actually wants us. the same situation happened in Sugar Grove around 15 years ago. Menards distribution center wanted to locate on industrial property directly across from the aurora airport. residents went wild against it, so they pulled their application and built down the road in plano. A few years ago, the raging waves water park wanted to locate in sugar grove, again, residents went wild against it. It is located down the road in yorkville. Now, there is talk of a huge recreational development/stadium etc possibly locating in yorkville because of the proximity of the waterpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs