Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 PM

109 posts, read 353,038 times

Advertisements

I've never quite understood why ETHS takes such a big hit for the discrepancies between test scores/achievement of their high SES vs. lower SES students. That's a phenomenon that exists in schools across the nation, not just at ETHS or other North Shore/Chicagoland schools. What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 PM

6 posts, read 48,066 times
I think its great that you are asking everyones opinions but I would also google the school districts, get their test scores, find out how they rank in the state. Find out the ratio of students to teachers. I wish when I was first looking for a house I would have thought about that first. Then drive around the neighborhoods on a Sunday afternoon. Are there kids out playing or is it a quiet neighborhood with not a lot of kids? You could also find a lot of information on the internet about each of these areas. I think no matter where you go you wont be disappointed. The North Shore is a great place to live. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:12 AM

4 posts, read 13,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Hmm, not experience with Evanston schools, only generalizations from New Trier, yep help full
Uh, yeah, like I said in my post I'm not familiar enough with Evanston schools to really speak about them, other than knowing people who moved away because they were unhappy with class size. But I can make some stuff up if you'd like!

The original posters asked a question about why to live in Evanston rather than farther north - that's what I answered.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM

36 posts, read 105,781 times
IMHO, Evanston is unrelentingly leftie and politically correct. It's just about the LEAST diverse town on the North Shore, that is, unless your definition of "diverse" is solely limited to race.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:44 PM

320 posts, read 954,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium View Post
IMHO, Evanston is unrelentingly leftie and politically correct. It's just about the LEAST diverse town on the North Shore, that is, unless your definition of "diverse" is solely limited to race.
Ever been to Kenilworth?

2000 census, it was 97.27% white and their idea of economic diversity is the one couple that drives the used Lexus.

I'll agree with you, Evanston likes to tout itself as diverse, while segregating itself in a pretty severe fashion, but saying it is the least diverse is a bit much.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:10 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Most importantly: it cannot be retrofitted for 21st century education because its very structure is rooted a century before in another era.
What is 21st century education? Teaching children to use computers? They know how to use computers, much better than their teachers do.

Teaching them to read, write, cipher, play well with others, etc. requires the same facilities it always did - great teachers and a place for the students to be in the same room with the teacher.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
'to tell the truth (if you can keep and secret and not "out" us) we're sorta like the rest of you although in a far classier and wealthier way:..going broke.'
No, I'm not. I voted for the tax increase. I know a few people who are going broke, but I know many more who are doing just fine. Thanks for your concern.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
Ever been to Kenilworth?

2000 census, it was 97.27% white and their idea of economic diversity is the one couple that drives the used Lexus.

I'll agree with you, Evanston likes to tout itself as diverse, while segregating itself in a pretty severe fashion, but saying it is the least diverse is a bit much.
He meant that Evanston is the least politically diverse. It is about 90% Democratic (a deterrent to living in what would otherwise be the loveliest town in the Midwest). Most of the other North Shore suburbs are between 40-60 and 60-40.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:41 PM

8 posts, read 15,359 times
Just read through this and several other threads on this forum regarding Wilmette/Winnetka vs Evanston.

I'm going to be moving to the Chicago area with my family for graduate school at Kellogg (Northwestern). I have a son who just turned 3 and my wife and I are interested in finding a nice/safe area for us to live in and a very good preschool for our son to attend.

We would like to live within a short walking distance of Kellogg (somewhere off Foster St. or Chicago Ave.). I had some worries about some parts of Evanston that don't look very safe and some of what I've read on this forum has intensified my fears.

I've found an affordable place for us at the corner of Foster St. and Ridge Ave. Would this be considered a relatively safe area of Evanston? And how safe is the walk from that area, down Foster St, to Kellogg?

As far as preschool goes, I'm looking at Cherry, School for Little Children, and Chiaravalle (montessori).

I know Evanston offers diversity, more of a city-feel, etc., but safety and education are my top two priorities, because of which I am now also considering the Wilmette area and the preschools over there (Wilmette Community Nursery and Glenview Montessori). Our rental budget (we'll be staying here for 2yrs) is up to $2,000/mo and I don't care how small of a place that's for as long as it's in a safe & sound building.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 PM

183 posts, read 338,830 times
You will be perfectly fine in that area of Evanston. I have no first hand knowledge of that bldg, but there are no sketchy areas on Foster E to NWU. You don't need to live in Wilmette to find safe residence and good preschool. Relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs