U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-27-2010, 03:13 AM

9 posts, read 20,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
There's absolutely nothing rural about Park Forest, Richton Park or Steger either. I'm just sayin'.

EDIT:
Actually, wait.. That might not be entirely accurate. I'm not sure if you'd call it "rural" but the south side of Park Forest does have some really nice woodsy neighborhoods by the Thorn Creek Nature Center. You'd practically be livng in University Park though. And I wouldn't be surprised if Steger has a few semi-rural options in close proximity to Crete. And if you head a good ways south of Sauk Trail towards the Cook-Will County line, there might be a small handful of semi-rural housing options inside the Richton Park village limits..

Still, for people familar with the area, these three towns really don't bring too many "rural" or "semi-rural" images to mind. However, I suppose they are far enough south for the option to be a possibility.
I just mean, not completely developed, being "close" to woodsy or farm/field areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-27-2010, 12:16 PM

954 posts, read 2,090,472 times
I don't know whats so attractive about Park Forest, Richton Park or Steager... If you want to live in an area where safety will be a pressing issue then thats where you are going to get it.

Unread 06-27-2010, 11:03 PM

3,946 posts, read 3,559,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
I don't know whats so attractive about Park Forest, Richton Park or Steager... If you want to live in an area where safety will be a pressing issue then thats where you are going to get it.
Although it is pronounced that way, there is no "e" in Steger..

Unread 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,627,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Although it is pronounced that way, there is no "e" in Steger..
Hmmm...Park Forest and Steger dangerous? Maybe I'm missing something?

Then I saw something else where someone mentioned Homewood and Flossmoor as "trouble areas?" WTH

Unread 06-28-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Hmmm...Park Forest and Steger dangerous? Maybe I'm missing something?

Then I saw something else where someone mentioned Homewood and Flossmoor as "trouble areas?" WTH

Maybe not Steger but Park Forest, Heck Yah... For example the police had to shoot a guy at the public pool yesterday, See This. (http://www.southtownstar.com/neighborhoodstar/matteson/2436568,062710aquacenter.article - broken link) My relatives living there don't even feel safe going outside its gotten that bad. Homewood/Flossmoor isn't dangerous but it definitely is becoming a trouble area, take it from me, im a 15 year Homewood resident. Petty crime is escalating rapidly, as "gang bangers" from the city move south.

Unread 06-29-2010, 12:04 PM

320 posts, read 353,696 times
Quote:
As a south suburbanite myself, I recommend avoiding most communities between I-57 and IL 394 with the exception of Homewood/Flossmoor (which is still not the best; I would know I live here) because the area is getting increasingly dangerous. Honestly I think you should consider Bradley/Bourbonnais which is closer to Peotone and surprisingly has some younger hangouts. If your looking to be closer to the city then I concur with chet that Frankfort probably isn't the best place to meet young people, or have much of a social life. You would be better off looking in Tinley Park, Orland Park or Orland Hills towns that at least have a decent youth culture.
Dangerous? Puh lease!!! Give me a f'n break. Homewood ain't the only place he could rent. Glenwood, Matteson, Richton Park, Park Forest, Flossmoor, Steger, S. Chicago Heights, Park Forest, Richton Park and Thornton. I would mention CC Hills, Hazel Crest and S. Holland, but there's not many rental units available in these cities.

It also depends on how comfortable you are around a lot Black people b/c it appears that most Non-Blacks aren't. I'm not being antagonistic, but it's the truth.

Unread 06-29-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Maybe not Steger but Park Forest, Heck Yah... For example the police had to shoot a guy at the public pool yesterday, See This. (http://www.southtownstar.com/neighborhoodstar/matteson/2436568,062710aquacenter.article - broken link) My relatives living there don't even feel safe going outside its gotten that bad. Homewood/Flossmoor isn't dangerous but it definitely is becoming a trouble area, take it from me, im a 15 year Homewood resident. Petty crime is escalating rapidly, as "gang bangers" from the city move south.
Hmm. Okay.

I guess...

Unread 06-29-2010, 07:37 PM

1,270 posts, read 1,672,729 times
Default Take my advice!

Whatever you do, just make sure you stay away from Flossmoor . There are **gasp** UPPER MIDDLE CLASS BLACK FAMILIES THERE!!!! AHHHHHH RUNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Unread 07-03-2010, 02:10 PM

Clearly my words have been twisted to the point where I no longer have any standing on this particular thread, I have lived in Homewood all but 3 years out of my life I know what a changing area look like. The schools are starting to lag, drugs are running rampant and violent offenses are only increasing across this area as time goes by. A good 75% of my friends are black, and many of them share the same opinions I do. As gangbangers from the city move in to this area, everything gets bad not just for me but for all the other middle class people here as well including African Americans. I am most certainly not being antagonistic, im just speaking about the area from my local viewpoint and I am hurt by some of the words said on here.

Unread 07-03-2010, 05:28 PM

Jericho -- I just disagree. I think Homewood is fine for right now. In the next 10-15 years? I don't know. If it isn't rejuvenated soon, who knows what the future may hold. Police presence has certainly increased in my opinion, which is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs