Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:45 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Um since when is Joliet considered a white area? What year was that? 1950? Same goes for Crest Hill. Have you been to these two towns? Like in the past year not 20 years ago. Bolingbrook is is also about half black with about 20% latins and then the rest might be a mixture of white and arabs, and then you have Monee listed which is a "white flight" burb. SO out of the 8 towns you listed 4 of them are NOT white burbs or are changing. Bad examples "my friend" if you compared apples to apples like Midlothian to CC Hills, or Crestwood to CC Hills, or Tinley Park to CC Hills, or Oak Forest to CC Hills, need I go on? Then maybe I would have given you that, but to take a town that is "changing" another which is "white trash ville usa" then some towns which are also black burbs or a city of which are WAY out away from the city and compare them and say that these are good comps, I'm sorry I have to disagree. Joliet, Crest Hill, Monee, and Bolingbrook are not good examples of WHITE towns. Orland Park, Tinley Park, Crestwood, Oak Lawn, Palos Heights, Park, and Hills, Lockport (ok I'll give you that however there is a HUGE black area there as well), Manhattan, and Lemont are examples of white burbs.
I mentioned that these suburbs are MAJORITY white suburbs not white suburbs. This is the chicagoland area and blacks make up a large percent of the population and you will find atleast some blacks in any of your so called "WHITE" suburbs. But, back to what I was saying Joliet is 61% white, Crest Hill 69% white, Plainfield is 93% white, Braidwood is 95% white, romeoville is 77% white, Lockport is 92% white, and Monee is 91% white . These areas also have very high foreclosure rates, higher in many cases than to country club hills. Why wouldn't they be considered good examples of majority white burbs with high foreclosure rates? As far as your "white trash ville usa" comment I wouldnt know about that. What would make them white trash suburbs if you care to elaborate? And you mention that Lockport which is 92% white has a HUGE black area. As if somehow the blacks are the ones to blame for bringing the area down even in this mostly white suburb. I think tuff economics times like this only help to make it clear that it isn't all about race, and good solid established areas that have always been good solid well established areas, tend to do better regardless of race. Again, all of the suburbs that I mentioned are in fact majority white middle class areas according to there average household incomes, and have dismal foreclosure rates comparable with and in several cases worse than Country Club Hills.

Last edited by allen2323; 07-09-2010 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 02:21 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I mentioned that these suburbs are MAJORITY white suburbs not white suburbs. This is the chicagoland area and blacks make up a large percent of the population and you will find atleast some blacks in any of your so called "WHITE" suburbs. But, back to what I was saying Joliet is 61% white, Crest Hill 69% white, Plainfield is 93% white, Braidwood is 95% white, romeoville is 77% white, Lockport is 92% white, and Monee is 91% white . These areas also have very high foreclosure rates, higher in many cases than to country club hills. Why wouldn't they be considered a good examples of majority white burbs with a high foreclosure rate? As far as your "white trash ville usa" comment I wouldnt know about that. What would make them white trash suburbs if you care to elaborate? And you mention that Lockport which is 92% white has a HUGE black area. As if somehow the blacks are the ones to blame for bringing the area down even in this mostly white suburb. I think tuff economics times like this only help to make it clear that it isn't all about race, and good areas with solid fundamentals do better no matter what race of people live there. Again, all of the suburbs that I mentioned are in fact majority white middle class areas according to there average household incomes, and have a dismal foreclosure rate comparable to and in a few of the cases worse than Country Club Hills.
Nah I'm not going to get into it about white trash burbs, but since you asked me to elaborate lol, I think we know which one I'm talking about here. It would be the town where you would see houses with weeds knee high in front of the house that is sided (of course) and hasn't been painted in about 20 years with the junk cars parked on the gravel driveway and usually a clothes line will be found somewhere on the property with "whidey tidies" (which aren't so tidey) hung on the line for everyone to see... Usually at least one of the cars will be displaying a Nascar logo/sticker of some sort usually convienently covering a rust spot. The car can usually be found near a scruffy guy (the driver) in holey jeans with a faded Nascar logo shirt on and typically all of this is followed by a "Mullet" hair cut (really completes the whole look) and usually a woman typically weighing about 250 who looks like she hasn't bathed in about 2 weeks with a bunch of screaming brats running around her will be right at his side... There is one place you named which fits this all to a T which is why I do all I can to stay the F out of that area as I can't stand white trash. (yes I am stuck up and proud of it so you don't need to tell me I am... I already know) Anyhow, I would have no doubt that that area would have a high foreclosure rate, but how about looking at the towns surrounding CC Hills and comparing apples to apples here is what I keep saying. Not towns way out. Compare with the Orland Parks and Tinley Parks or Oak Forests and Crestwoods not the towns that surround Joliet. (Ugghh)

Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Nah I'm not going to get into it about white trash burbs, but since you asked me to elaborate lol, I think we know which one I'm talking about here. It would be the town where you would see houses with weeds knee high in front of the house that is sided (of course) and hasn't been painted in about 20 years with the junk cars parked on the gravel driveway and usually a clothes line will be found somewhere on the property with "whidey tidies" (which aren't so tidey) hung on the line for everyone to see... Usually at least one of the cars will be displaying a Nascar logo/sticker of some sort usually convienently covering a rust spot. The car can usually be found near a scruffy guy (the driver) in holey jeans with a faded Nascar logo shirt on and typically all of this is followed by a "Mullet" hair cut (really completes the whole look) and usually a woman typically weighing about 250 who looks like she hasn't bathed in about 2 weeks with a bunch of screaming brats running around her will be right at his side... There is one place you named which fits this all to a T which is why I do all I can to stay the F out of that area as I can't stand white trash. (yes I am stuck up and proud of it so you don't need to tell me I am... I already know) Anyhow, I would have no doubt that that area would have a high foreclosure rate, but how about looking at the towns surrounding CC Hills and comparing apples to apples here is what I keep saying. Not towns way out. Compare with the Orland Parks and Tinley Parks or Oak Forests and Crestwoods not the towns that surround Joliet. (Ugghh)

I totally agree orland park and even tinley park stable areas with low foreclosure rates. All I was stating is that there are plenty of areas with majority white middle class populations that also have high foreclosure rates. Also, there are plenty of areas with large populations of middle class blacks that are doing better than most areas majority white or black and that fact is continually overlooked.

Last edited by allen2323; 07-09-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 08:06 PM

300 posts, read 638,958 times
Default Country Club Hills? Not what it use to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanVillage View Post
I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's when Country Club Hills was a nice little suburb. When did all of that change?!?!?! When I drove through there the other day I saw teens fighting in the streets, unkept lawns, run down strip malls with nothing but trash in the parking lot and beauty supply stores. Even the wikipedia page for CCH said its turning to crap.

Country Club Hills, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When did all of this start to happen? How are the other suburbs doing? (Homewood, Tinley, Hazel Crest,etc.)
Ive lived in CCH since 1992 and I was one of the first non-white people in my whole neighborhood. It was nice when I first moved here, it was alot of older white couples, not many young people. It also didnt have much more than a supermarket on 183rd street and a few gas stations on Pulaski. It had a few Black people, but they didnt cause much trouble. The ROUGH black people started moving in from about late 90's to the Mid 2000's. Now I see drug deals happening on the corner, fights in the streets, and I do recall a incident about 3-2 years ago when they had my whole block on lock down with SWAT, National Guard and every Police department in the South Suburbs cornering off a drug dealer/gang banger in a house. Our mayor is a corrupt bastard who has been in office for 20+ years, no one has been able to knock him off. The only thing our mayor can boast about our city is that stupid Thearte on 183rd and the Massive flag right next to I-80. Foreclosure is HIGH as hell in CCH.. It was about 3-4 vacant houses on my block alone, and about 15+ in my neighborhood. Our mayor thought that the Super Wal Mart, McDonalds, Gamestop, and Gutair Center would get our city back to it's former glory but it didnt. It's slowly becoming a Markham, or Harvey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs