Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:05 AM

21 posts, read 56,215 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Michigan, and will be working in Des Plaines, steps from ORD. I am single, female, no kids. I want no more than a 30 minute commute. I will be renting budget of about $1300????

Should I look at areas east of the airpot like Rogers Park? Or west like Elk Grove Village, or go to a north burb like Palatine, Arlington Heights? I just see neighborhoods on the map, not sure what any are like. ANy other suggestions I am just cofused at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 11:25 AM

45 posts, read 175,283 times
Single, I'd say city.. Can you take the metra and walk to work form there? When I was single I joined a club called Highlife adventures, it's a good way to meet people

Old 07-10-2010, 11:30 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,394,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharilyn View Post
I am relocating from Michigan, and will be working in Des Plaines, steps from ORD. I am single, female, no kids. I want no more than a 30 minute commute. I will be renting budget of about $1300????

Should I look at areas east of the airpot like Rogers Park? Or west like Elk Grove Village, or go to a north burb like Palatine, Arlington Heights? I just see neighborhoods on the map, not sure what any are like. ANy other suggestions I am just cofused at this point.
Rogers Park would be too far of a commute, I'd suggest Norwood Park or Jeff Park if you want to do the city thing. Schaumburg/ Palatine and Elmhurst arent bad options either

Old 07-10-2010, 12:46 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
In the city I'd say maybe Jefferson Park, but if you want to be closer to the action possibly Bucktown/Wicker Park area to be close to 90/94, but to be in a hip neighborhood and near the nightlife and Lincoln Park/Gold Coast/River North as well. The commute times could stretch to over 30 minutes with traffic, however.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:40 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Jefferson Park is nice. You can hop on the blue line towards O Hare if you need to fly out for business, and you can go the other way to Bucktown, Wicker Park or River West for fun and socializing.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
How old are you? What sort of nightlife is important to you? How long a commute are you willing to tolerate day in and day out to have the resources of Chicago available after working hours?

In my mind the cut off between tolerating the hassles of Chicago happens about eight years or so out of college, though for people with a special affinity for the unique qualities of the better Chicago offerings ( be that professional sports, the arts, bars/ nightclubs) last much longer...

Old 07-12-2010, 02:22 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
I agree with Chet 100%. Even in my 20's I wasn't that keen on going out to clubs, etc. I lived in the city because I worked there, but living right by nightlife isn't everyone's priority. I'd rather have a very easy daily commute and have to go further for my entertainment and social activities. OP, it would probably help if you'd tell us more about you.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 PM

21 posts, read 56,215 times
Sorry been on an extended business trip. I am in my early 40's and single. I really do not want more than a 30 minute commute, I know Chicago area traffic is awful. Nightlife is not important I would rather have a really good mix of shops and restaurants nearby preferably to walk too. I like to be outside when possible reading or walking just to be outside. i am not a club type, more of teh hang out with a few close friends having dinner type I guess, lol.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:00 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Sounds like the perfect target...

DesPlaines completely a massive overhaul of their core. Shifting from outdated mom & pop places to a more current mix of restaurants, shops, and even some entertainment. I really can't think of a more ideal fit for you...

Sure, it is not as hip as some place in Wicker Park, but it is also probably a ten minute drive from any employer in DesPlaines. You can shop, eat, hang out in safety and comfort. In nice weather you can easily bicycle there.

Good Luck!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Downtown Arlington Heights is also worth investigating. Taking the right roads(Avoiding Arlington Heights Rd & Tollway), you can be to O'hare in 20 minutes. Lots of restaurants, movie theater, live theater, shopping, groceries, Metra and close to an excellent library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs