Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:48 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times

Advertisements

Several weeks ago, I wrote about a possible move to the Chicago area (work will be based in Downers Grove). Thanks again to everyone for the helpful responses. Well, it now appears that my family and I are almost certain to make this move in late August or early September.

We are looking to either buy or rent, although after doing some more research, it appears that buying is a considerably better deal in most areas than renting is.

Budget / home wish list

• Budget: Max 225k (ideally 180-200k)
  • Home: 3BR/2Bath - can be single family, townhouse or condo
  • Interested in both newer and older construction
  • Willing to save some money on purchase price at the expensive of minor renovations
  • Pet-friendly in the case of condo or townhouse
  • Renter-friendly in the case of condo or townhouse (in the event of future relocation and inability to sell)

Area:

• Within 30-40 minutes (ideally less) of Downers Grove (ideally but not necessarily east)
  • No HOA or very relaxed HOA
  • Good schools (not overly concerned about test scores, but don't want schools with bad reputations)
  • Kid-friendly - communities with more families and young childless couples preferable to older communities
  • Reasonably close (ideally walking or biking) distance to METRA
Based on some internet research and after touring the area a bit, the following areas appeal to me (in no particular order, as I'm not yet familiar enough):

1) Downers Grove
2) La Grange
3) Westmont
4) Lisle
5) Naperville
6) Geneva
7) Wheaton
8) Oak Brook
9) Western Springs

What would be the best communities to keep looking at based on above requirements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
That's a pretty tight budget for a house. You shouldn't have too much of a problem with a condo or townhouse, but it's likely going to be an older unit with sky high property taxes and association dues, and the pets may be an issue.
For a single family, downers grove, westmont and lisle are about the only towns on your list you may be able to squeeze into.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:20 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,465 times
If you go further east into Berwyn or Elmwood Park, or north into Addison, you will have better luck with that budget. The commute to Downers Grove from any of those suburbs isn't too bad. Maybe even Elmhurst.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:35 AM

588 posts, read 1,800,109 times
I would add Woodridge to the list of places to look. It's right next to DG. Schools are good and area is safe with plenty of kid activities. You will be able to find a decent place with that budget. It'll be on the smaller and slightly older side, but you could pull off a 3 br and 2 bath house.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:44 AM

45 posts, read 175,283 times
You'll never get anything in Elmhurst for that price, but you "can" get a single family in the burbs for that price right now. For resale I would suggest a single family house. I do not agree with Berwyn or Elmwood Park, or north into Addison. They tend to be less desirable and in this market you can get a great deal on a single family in the towns you mentioned. Also, check out greatschools.net. You can see test scores, student info etc. that way you don't waste time looking at houses if the schools aren't great. If you want great schools and a small town feel, Geneva is great. If not, you can stay right around Downers Grove, the area is nice. (I'm not a huge fan of Wheaton, very very conservative).

Old 08-06-2010, 06:42 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago0304 View Post
You'll never get anything in Elmhurst for that price, but you "can" get a single family in the burbs for that price right now. For resale I would suggest a single family house. I do not agree with Berwyn or Elmwood Park, or north into Addison. They tend to be less desirable and in this market you can get a great deal on a single family in the towns you mentioned. Also, check out greatschools.net. You can see test scores, student info etc. that way you don't waste time looking at houses if the schools aren't great. If you want great schools and a small town feel, Geneva is great. If not, you can stay right around Downers Grove, the area is nice. (I'm not a huge fan of Wheaton, very very conservative).
Thanks again everyone.

As for the advice here, thank you for the warning about Wheaton. While I'm not terribly political either way, I do get annoyed with communities that have a strong "political" reputation at either end of the spectrum.

Geneva is a community that really intrigues me. Although they have a train stop, I do wonder though if the small town atmosphere and the distance from Chicago make it feel "outside" the Chicago metro. We're definitely be interested in a place that has a small-town feel, but at the same time we want to feel some connection to Chicago (on the flip side, I'd love to live in the city, alas, it's not really affordable for us at the moment).

I'm not at all worried about something smaller and older. I think the ideal size for us would be 1400-2000 sq. ft. And again, I'm willing to save on purchase price at the expensive of some cosmetic renovation and upgrades later on - so long as the house is at least "habitable" My wife and I are HGTV types who would enjoy some DIY and/or custom contract projects along the way.

Does anyone know how long it might take to close on a short sale or foreclosure? There seem to be quite a few deals in the area. Relocation package will include 30 days of temporary housing if needed.

Re property taxes - aren't those pretty much uniform throughout Du Page county? I understand some townhouse and condo communities might have dues, but shouldn't taxes be more or less the same based on valuation?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 AM

12 posts, read 37,166 times
I wouldn't write off Wheaton just because it's "conservative" (whatever the heck that's supposed to mean). It's the home of Wheaton College, which is a highly-regarded Christian college, but it's also got some nice homes, good schools, and excellent restaurants. I live in downtown Naperville, and while you might find something within your price range here, it might be difficult. I'd suggest looking at some of the smaller homes within the historic district. You might be able to locate a short sale or foreclosure that would work. We have outstanding schools, a vibrant downtown, museums, and a lot of the "hometown" feel you describe, even though it's a big city, if you stick close to Naperville's downtown.

Geneva is very nice, too, but it will probably be an hour or more to drive to/from DG during rush hour. I can't emphasize enough that driving is a pain in the neck in Chicago's suburbs. As a rule of thumb, imagine what you think the commute should be and double it.

Overall, I think you'd be best to try to find a place near downtown Downers Grove. The downtown area has a lot of nice restaurants, good shops, and some charming neighborhoods. I don't have a good handle on housing costs there, but it has not traditionally been a high-priced area. Given the current market, I think something in your price range is feasible.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:03 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Thanks again everyone.

As for the advice here, thank you for the warning about Wheaton. While I'm not terribly political either way, I do get annoyed with communities that have a strong "political" reputation at either end of the spectrum.

Geneva is a community that really intrigues me. Although they have a train stop, I do wonder though if the small town atmosphere and the distance from Chicago make it feel "outside" the Chicago metro. We're definitely be interested in a place that has a small-town feel, but at the same time we want to feel some connection to Chicago (on the flip side, I'd love to live in the city, alas, it's not really affordable for us at the moment).

I'm not at all worried about something smaller and older. I think the ideal size for us would be 1400-2000 sq. ft. And again, I'm willing to save on purchase price at the expensive of some cosmetic renovation and upgrades later on - so long as the house is at least "habitable" My wife and I are HGTV types who would enjoy some DIY and/or custom contract projects along the way.

Does anyone know how long it might take to close on a short sale or foreclosure? There seem to be quite a few deals in the area. Relocation package will include 30 days of temporary housing if needed.

Re property taxes - aren't those pretty much uniform throughout Du Page county? I understand some townhouse and condo communities might have dues, but shouldn't taxes be more or less the same based on valuation?
Geneva i'd say has more of a rural, small town then an urban feel, but it's by no means a farm town type of deal. Also like mentioned i'd really think twice about geneva as the drive to downer's every day, especially in the winter is going to be a nightmare.
For short sales, it can take months and months to get anything back from the banks, and it's not unheard of to go 6 months or more to close on one. Foreclosures are much easier to deal with as the bank has full control and looking to dump it. You can often close very quickly (i closed on one in 8 days)
Dupage property taxes are usually about 2% of the home's value, and i've never heard of any townhomes or condos that have no association dues. Older units it's not uncommon to see 4-500$ a month or more for the dues.
I just did a quick search on the MLS and found over 150 homes in downer's for under 200K Most are older fix-r-uppers, but I think downers may be your best choice.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:10 AM

45 posts, read 175,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBoom View Post
I wouldn't write off Wheaton just because it's "conservative" (whatever the heck that's supposed to mean). It's the home of Wheaton College, which is a highly-regarded Christian college, but it's also got some nice homes, good schools, and excellent restaurants. I live in downtown Naperville, and while you might find something within your price range here, it might be difficult. I'd suggest looking at some of the smaller homes within the historic district. You might be able to locate a short sale or foreclosure that would work. We have outstanding schools, a vibrant downtown, museums, and a lot of the "hometown" feel you describe, even though it's a big city, if you stick close to Naperville's downtown.

Geneva is very nice, too, but it will probably be an hour or more to drive to/from DG during rush hour. I can't emphasize enough that driving is a pain in the neck in Chicago's suburbs. As a rule of thumb, imagine what you think the commute should be and double it.

Overall, I think you'd be best to try to find a place near downtown Downers Grove. The downtown area has a lot of nice restaurants, good shops, and some charming neighborhoods. I don't have a good handle on housing costs there, but it has not traditionally been a high-priced area. Given the current market, I think something in your price range is feasible.
Conservative, it was a "dry town" (no alcohol sold) for many years. Also, it's claim to fame is that it has "more churches per capita than any other town in the country". The last time I was there Bush had his parade through town. I knew a lot of women from a club I was in that home-schooled their kids for religious reasons. Now, all of this is fine if it's your cup of tea, but this is what I meant when I said conservative.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:11 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Conservative, it was a "dry town" (no alcohol sold) for many years.
This reminds me of South Holland. Mind you, but I've never heard anyone refer to that middle-class-black suburb as "conservative". And I might be mistaken but I think South Holland is STILL a "dry town". If it isn't, they at least have some really strict local laws about when you can sell alcohol.

Quote:
Also, it's claim to fame is that it has "more churches per capita than any other town in the country".
Let me tell you.. If you ever are passing through, you will find that there are A LOT of churches in ghetto ass suburbs like Ford Heights and Harvey. Chuches and liquor stores. And again, "conservative" is not a label I've heard before.

Call me crazy but I've always been a believer in third times a charm. After I see a third Baptist Church, I make sure my doors are locked and the windows are rolled up.

But I digress. Any other town in the country? Really? Can you cite a link, please.. I know very little about Wheaton but I still find this hard to beleive. I think this is more likely to be the claim to fame for a town in Alabama or something.

Quote:
The last time I was there Bush had his parade through town.
I imagine he didn't have a whole lot of options to chose from in Chicagoland.

Quote:
I knew a lot of women from a club I was in that home-schooled their kids for religious reasons.
But how prominent is this mentality in the town? I think there are mothers like this all over the place - even San Fransisco or Evanson.

In the way you've described it, Weaton is prabobly not a place I'd want to be. I just find it ironic that some of the stuff you said is very comparable to other suburbs that tend to vote heavily Democratic.

Last edited by urza216; 08-07-2010 at 04:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs