U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 35,623 times
Default Going to High School Out of District?

Ok so first of all, my first time actually posting here ! I might be the youngest person on this site, only 16 haha, but need some help / advice.

So I live in Westchester, IL and the only public school in my district is Proviso West which really isn't the greatest. I've been attending Nazareth Academy over in La Grange park since freshman year, but now with my sister going there as well (I'm about to enter my Junior year and she's going into her Sophomore year) the financial strain is too much on our family. The school refuses to provide us with financial aid because apparantly we do not qualify.

Now I've been looking at Hinsdale Central, York, Lyons Township, Riverside Brookfield, and Oak Park River Forest highschools. Would any of them allow out of district students in situations like mine ? My parents do not mind paying the out of district fees as long as they're not equivalent or higher than what we'd be paying for Nazareth (roughly 22k a year for my sister and I).

I'm kind of stuck and confused cause I'm not sure what to do and the school year is about to start. I know this is horrible timing but at this point the money we were hoping to have by now for registration hasn't been attained so I'm not even registered at Nazareth at this point. I want to contact the schools but want to know first if they'll even consider it or have done so before in the past.

Sorry long post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 08:15 AM

7,454 posts, read 4,068,763 times
Yikes, what a horrible situation to be in with school starting in a couple weeks. I do believe that these schools allow for out of district if you pay the tuition. I know my best friend from High School lived out of district and her mother paid the fees to send her to LT. I don't know offhand what the fees entailed though. I would start calling each of the schools to find out. You may be better off renting a very small studio apartment in district so that you don't have to pay out of district fees. It may just be cheaper for your parents. Best of luck !!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 AM

ahh thanks for responding! would it be better if I called the school's myself or had my parents do it? I've been trying to find how much out-of-district fees would cost and i've been seeing numbers like 7k, 15k, etc. but not sure if those are accurate. Do you have any idea on how much it would cost to rent a small studio apt?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 AM

21,477 posts, read 35,351,953 times
Default First of all, you are a minor...

The school districts almost certainly will not provide you with information about the out of district tuition. They may provide your parents with this info, but I would be extremely cautious about having them even attempt to get this info unless you understand all your options.

I really think the best option In your situation is to make triple darned sure that you done everything you can to get as much financial aid from the private high school you attended last year. The strain on the ability of the private schools to meet expenses is quite high but they do have some flexibility to adjust family tuition as situations change.

If your parents really and truly cannot make the tuition at Nazareth Academy I hate to break the news to you but the out of pocket could be about the same -- LT spends over $7k per student on direct educational costs and another $14k per student on direct operational costs, the state allows out of district fees to be calculated on those so you be looking at $22k anyhow. Of course that assumes that the district would even have space for you, which they do not have to provide. Costs at Hinsdale Central, RB or any other school are within a few grand. The teachers all make similar money, it ain't free to run the heat, water & electric. The only real differences is that public schools generally use bonds to pay for building and sports stadiums while the private schools rely on donors to cough up the big cash in exchange for having their name immortalized...

If you want to move into a crummy apartment somewhere in the district you might find something to lease for about $800/mo. The district does do pretty serious checking of rentals and if you are not really living in the unit they will bill you the out of district amount as well as potentially fine and / or expel you.

State law allows folks living in a hotel to enroll in any school, but believed me you do not want to spend the whole school year with your mom or dad in some place that charges $200 a week and have drug addicts and whores as role models...

If you call the district asking about out of district policies you will go on-watch list to be followed up by the rental investigators. Probably not smart...

What about the selective enroll magnet school for Proviso? That is going to be a lot less dough, basically free except for book fees if your income allows you to afford those, and a grant if you qualify for free lunch...

If your grades at Nazareth were lousy and that is why they are not eager to give you a break / you can't get into the magnet offering of Proviso district maybe you should go to West to realize that even in a tough situation it is better to put your head into your studies and plan for a solid future instead looking for an easy way out...

Last edited by chet everett; 08-10-2010 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-10-2010, 09:34 AM

Ahh you've brought up some good points. I have very high grades at nazareth and I am very involved so I'm pretty academically wise I'm a good candidate for any good school. I've been looking at schools in chicago, but I'm not sure if I would have better luck with them. I tried whitney young, but they do not accept transfers mid school year

Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 AM

21,477 posts, read 35,351,953 times
Default You don't seem to understand...

The way things are setup in Illinois is you enroll in the district you live in. If you live in Westchester and had good grades at Nazareth and your family has tit finances you really need to make sure that Nazareth knows about this and does everything they can to help you out.

If you applied for slot at the magnet school Proviso runs at Roosevelt and 1st Ave and you did not get in you are stuck at West, which is a very crummy school, but that is what is available to you. Odds are if you did well at Nazareth you could be at the top of class at Proviso West, it' ll build character or at least teach you how to run and hide.

Public schools are not cheap for those out of district!

CPS is like any other district and they do not have to allow out of district students to just show up and expect to be admitted. Whitney Young is not much better than some suburban schools these days, all the really impressive numbers are coming from Northside and Payton....

Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 AM

689 posts, read 1,667,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The way things are setup in Illinois is you enroll in the district you live in. If you live in Westchester and had good grades at Nazareth and your family has tit finances you really need to make sure that Nazareth knows about this and does everything they can to help you out.

If you applied for slot at the magnet school Proviso runs at Roosevelt and 1st Ave and you did not get in you are stuck at West, which is a very crummy school, but that is what is available to you. Odds are if you did well at Nazareth you could be at the top of class at Proviso West, it' ll build character or at least teach you how to run and hide.

Public schools are not cheap for those out of district!

CPS is like any other district and they do not have to allow out of district students to just show up and expect to be admitted. Whitney Young is not much better than some suburban schools these days, all the really impressive numbers are coming from Northside and Payton....
Agreed. Out-of-district fees for top school districts (LT, Hinsdale Central, etc.) will run just as high or more than private school. The strained budgets of public school districts have also given them more incentive to crack down on students that might be living in rentals or separately from their parents. Nazareth would be more likely have flexibility regarding tuition and financial aid than any of the public school options. If that doesn't work, you should definitely look into the magnet school option in your district. The scores there are a big step up from Proviso West:

2009 Illinois Report Card Results :: Proviso Math and Science Academy:

Old 08-10-2010, 03:09 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,069,300 times
Or just suck it up and go with Proviso West. It isn't doing the greatest in terms of ISAT scores but I know several involved parents who send their kids to the dreaded Morton West (horse whinnying in the background ala Frau Blücher in "Young Frankenstein") in our community and they're doing just fine.

We as a nation, particularly in the Chicago suburbs, are totally obsessed with standardized test scores. Sometimes, the fears, no, the terror, that has been drilled into us over "bad schools" can turn out to be unfounded. Sounds like in your position, you may not have a choice, but it might not be as bad as you think so long as you stay involved and keep a positive attitude.

Last edited by BRU67; 08-10-2010 at 03:22 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 03:13 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,710,328 times
and maybe potential colleges will look at you as a little more interesting than your standard ivy-league-groomed high-test-score high school product.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:18 PM

342 posts, read 769,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazkid View Post
Ok so first of all, my first time actually posting here ! I might be the youngest person on this site, only 16 haha, but need some help / advice.

So I live in Westchester, IL and the only public school in my district is Proviso West which really isn't the greatest. I've been attending Nazareth Academy over in La Grange park since freshman year, but now with my sister going there as well (I'm about to enter my Junior year and she's going into her Sophomore year) the financial strain is too much on our family. The school refuses to provide us with financial aid because apparantly we do not qualify.

Now I've been looking at Hinsdale Central, York, Lyons Township, Riverside Brookfield, and Oak Park River Forest highschools. Would any of them allow out of district students in situations like mine ? My parents do not mind paying the out of district fees as long as they're not equivalent or higher than what we'd be paying for Nazareth (roughly 22k a year for my sister and I).

I'm kind of stuck and confused cause I'm not sure what to do and the school year is about to start. I know this is horrible timing but at this point the money we were hoping to have by now for registration hasn't been attained so I'm not even registered at Nazareth at this point. I want to contact the schools but want to know first if they'll even consider it or have done so before in the past.

Sorry long post
im only 15
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs