Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,785,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Hyde Park in Chicago also mirrors those two towns...

You would be hard pressed to find towns or neighborhoods like those, anywhere else in the US. They are true jewels.

Urban Renewal gets a bad name because it displaces the poor, but if you want to replicate towns such as these, you cannot allow the existence of blight. Areas that are run down need to be fixed up (and rents raised accordingly) or bulldozed, with the land made available to developers. Oak Park, Evanston, Hyde Park, are able to maintain themselves because most everyone meets a certain minimum economic level. Whether they have a $200,000 home or a $5,000,000 home, they have enough income AND knowledge AND wherewithal to maintain it.

All of the above areas have significant rental properties, but very few if any Section 8ers. Almost everyone who rents, pays dearly, and respects their property as a result.
You're correct about Hyde Park, that one slipped my mind... I think I was in the mind set of suburbs.

But, Oak Park actually has a significant amount of section 8 rentals, quite a bit more so than any of the desirable suburbs west or north. I believe that all of the section 8 housing in Oak Park is filled, with a long wait list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 04:40 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
where in orland

There was a listing (on a carry out menu I think) that showed locations for the restaurant and it said it would be in Orland Park by the end of 2011. It wasn't. I did ask where in Orland was it gonna open. However, the manager at the original Buona's location on Rosevelt Road in Berwyn didn't know the answer to this question. He assured me that Buoana's is in fact coming to Orland in the near future. He asked me if that's where we live and I said no, but Orland is a lot closer than here... lol.

That would be cool if they opened up in Monee and Chicago Heights! But I don't think we're special enough - me and my friend, I mean. haha.

Last edited by urza216; 03-21-2012 at 05:45 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Hyde Park in Chicago also mirrors those two towns...

You would be hard pressed to find towns or neighborhoods like those, anywhere else in the US. They are true jewels.

Urban Renewal gets a bad name because it displaces the poor, but if you want to replicate towns such as these, you cannot allow the existence of blight. Areas that are run down need to be fixed up (and rents raised accordingly) or bulldozed, with the land made available to developers. Oak Park, Evanston, Hyde Park, are able to maintain themselves because most everyone meets a certain minimum economic level. Whether they have a $200,000 home or a $5,000,000 home, they have enough income AND knowledge AND wherewithal to maintain it.

All of the above areas have significant rental properties, but very few if any Section 8ers. Almost everyone who rents, pays dearly, and respects their property as a result.
Jackson, I have always been of the opinion that there a strong degree of similarity between Evanston, Oak Park, and Hyde Park. I'm sure its Hyde Park's status as neighborhood rather than suburb that tends to obscure the fact, but part of Hyde Park's character comes from the separate community it once was.

Besides, Hyde Park nicely complements things for the three: north, west, and south.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:29 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Just to revive this thread, I recently found myself in Berwyn. The Roosevelt Road corridor does not at all look run down, as a matter of fact there seems to be thriving businesses there. I stopped at a Culver's and also ate at Big Guys sausage shop which was yummy fast food. It recently was received an award from the LTH Forum food community. All the cool bungalows are still there as well as the ornate three and two flats...very close to the city.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:29 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Just to revive this thread, I recently found myself in Berwyn. The Roosevelt Road corridor does not at all look run down, as a matter of fact there seems to be thriving businesses there. I stopped at a Culver's and also ate at Big Guys sausage shop which was yummy fast food. It recently was received an award from the LTH Forum food community. All the cool bungalows are still there as well as the ornate three and two flats...very close to the city.
Roosevelt underwent renovation. A collaborative effort among Cicero, Berwyn and Oak Park. Berwyn is a hidden gem. It gets a bad rep because....

Old 03-24-2014, 07:18 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
It gets a bad rep because....
Yep.

Though I do see Berwyn's cache growing a bit with people who think for themselves and eschew traditional suburbia. It will be interesting to see what happens with the schools. The types of people that I know moving to Berwyn will probably stick it out in the public schools, at least for the elementary years. But I also know a few childless people who have moved there recently, and they have all become big Berwyn boosters.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:20 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
There was a coordinated effort to repair Roosevelt a few years back.

I know that Forest Park and Berwyn have had TIFs to improve Roosevelt Rd and surrounding areas. I beleive Chicago similarly has a TIF that includes this area. I have not seen any evidence of Cicero itself actively cooperating in these efforts. I don't know if Oak Park has made any committment to improving Roosevelt Rd. The Oak Park side has been recently described as "radically blighted" -- http://www.ilnewsfeed.com/cicero/oak...velt-road-tif/

Old 03-24-2014, 08:06 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I don't know if Oak Park has made any committment to improving Roosevelt Rd. The Oak Park side has been recently described as "radically blighted" -- Oak Park likely to fund study of Roosevelt Road TIF*|*Illinois News Feed
They have considered a TIF, but nothing has been passed yet.

Demand increasing for an Oak Park TIF along Roosevelt Road | Articles | News | OakPark.com

Old 03-24-2014, 08:13 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
What type of people do you see moving into Berwyn? I have my perceptions but I want to see what others think. I've been thinking of buying a building there.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Mostly a nice mix of people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
What type of people do you see moving into Berwyn? I have my perceptions but I want to see what others think. I've been thinking of buying a building there.
I have seen quite a few folks with ties to the various medical centers in the area -- more technicians than physicians, but still folks with good jobs at Loyola, VA, MacNeil etc. Some of these folks were born in Latin American countries or have parents that left those countries. For the most part these are people that recognize a good value for housing and appreciate have a short commute to a safe community. Not as self congratulatory as folks that lve in more well known suburban areas tht steer folks around town based on the pigment in their skin, but mostly transitioning from a town with a majority of older Eastern Europeans without any real tension...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs