Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 AM

5 posts, read 25,811 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am in a major quandry here as to determining where I should live. I currently live in Aurora & grew up in Naperville, IL but I want to get out of Aurora ASAP. I have to stay somewhat close to Naperville because my parents live there & depend on me. My husband & I are looking to buy a house - new construction - but we are on a budget of $275,000 or less (if possible). We have looked at both Town & Country Homes (Churchill/Hunt Club) in Oswego, IL AND at Ryland Homes (Blackberry Crossing) in Montgomery, IL. I heard that there is another development from other forums called William Ryan Homes in Montomery, but I don't know where those are. Anyway, since we have children, schools are key. The T&C Oswego Homes have schools on-site & a locale that is booming with businesses/shopping, etc. However, we are NOT able to afford the many extras that are desired in our home because the pricing is too high. So in essence, the LOCATION & ON-SITE SCHOOL presence is the benefit for Oswego, IL for us. However, after seeing Ryland Homes in Montgomery, IL, we LOVE the homes themselves. They are exactly what we want & include practically ALL of the features that T&C in Oswego charge A LOT more for. We can get a great home for a cheap price in Montgomery BUT the Schools are in the Bristol/Yorkville area & I am NOT familiar with any of those schools either. And since my husband works in Chicago & will have quite a drive, that is a factor as well. From what I can tell, Montgomery is a small town environment that does not have the convenience of shopping or accessibility as much as Oswego does. So the HOME is perfect, but the location & schools are an unknown. THUS, MY QUESTIONS ARE.... Does anyone have info on the Bristol/Yorkville schools my kids will be attending IF we chose Montgomery? Also, what option would you go with yourself - Oswego or Montgomery & why? I am also concerned about re-sale values in either of the towns as well, should we move down the line. What are your thoughts on that in either of these towns? Any info provided would be GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 PM

720 posts, read 2,996,979 times
I'm not that knowledgable about either area in terms of neighborhoods and stuff but since noone is answering I'll chip in what I know.

Montgomery seems to be an area we've all heard of but nobody really knows much about it like Naperville, AUrora, etc. It's got some sketchier areas. Houses are pretty affordable.

Personally I would pick Oswego> Better schools, tons of retail going up along along ogden, personally I think better selection of shopping and restaurants than Rt 59 famous daves, buena beef, pepes along with chillis, fridays and all the other chain stuff along 59.

I dont know much about taxes but I imagnie Oswego would be higher since its growing so much and they are buidling new schools.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:58 PM

10,876 posts, read 13,756,821 times
I would really think twice about those areas. The drive to chicago everyday is going to be horrible. A little over an hour in perfect conditions, factor in traffic and the snow will make it 1 1/2 - 2 hours each way easy which will get old real quick. Both those areas do offer a ton of newer/new homes at great prices, but you're also sacrificing not being close to the highway, you've got the essentials as far as stores, but nothing elaborate. Also no train service and decent, but not great schools.
Resale they were projected to be the next naperville like plainfield, yorkville, plano,..etc but have remained mostly stagnant as people are preferring to rebuild and stay in more established neighborhoods then roll the dice on a new one. Only time will tell how these cities will turn out in the next 20-30 years, so far it's growing at a crawl and not the rocket like expected.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,607,684 times
If you look at the area of montgomery around rt 30 and 47, there is an elementary school right in the subdivision. it is McDole and is part of the Kaneland School District. You do have to really check as there is a small part of that development that has yorkville schools. The Yorkville schools have been growing recently, but I don't know much more than that. The Kaneland School district covers a very large territory, with elementary schools in montgomery, sugar grove, 2 in elburn. a brand new middle school in Sugar Grove and high school west of elburn. Sugar Grove has direct access to the I88 tollway for commuting by car to the city. Elburn has a metra stop. Home prices vary quite a lot in all of the communities.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 25,811 times
Default What other options do you suggest?

THANK YOU for the detailed responses. So I am hearing that Sugar Grove is a good option then? I was considering Bolingbrook as well but it is likely too pricey for us. Any other towns/suggestions you can make?

Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 PM

366 posts, read 489,722 times
Given your two choices I would take Montgomery hands down over Oswego. Montgomery has a better handle on growth and a better Government in terms of having a grip on spending. There also is older money in Montgomery that acts as a curb on some stupid ideas some politicians get.

Long term Montgomery has better developement prospects for driving retail off of Mill. Those cheap homes can be taken by the Government far more cheaply than anything in Oswego under eminent domain.

However given your comments I would look north to Batavia, Geneva, or in particular St. Charles. Hubby can take a train in. Aurora is a cesspool and you are smart to escape it.

As far as home prices go, look at the median home price and the median household income for the area, subtract 8% from the income to account for kids working in the figure and multiply by 2.5 and you want to make sure you hit the median home price. You will find both areas (Oswego and Montgomery) are still overvalued as a whole, but Montgomery more so.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 AM

10,876 posts, read 13,756,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isyspryncess View Post
THANK YOU for the detailed responses. So I am hearing that Sugar Grove is a good option then? I was considering Bolingbrook as well but it is likely too pricey for us. Any other towns/suggestions you can make?
Sugar grove is a little better as you'll be close to 88, but the commute is still going to be awful. Bolingbrook you will have no problem finding a house well below your budget, and a few areas feed into naperville schools.
IMO i'd look somewhere such as lombard, downers grove or lisle. All have train service, are established cities and will fit your budget.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:08 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,607,684 times
I think you need to come out and drive around the entire area. If your husband doesn't mind a long drive commute each day, that is something you will have to decide. I do think that sugar grove could be an option for you, but that depends on how he feels about driving! We have been here over 20 years and love the area. The entire Kaneland School District is very friendly and all of the towns that make it up still have a "small town feel". Growth has slowed tremendously, but still is trickling in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs