Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:21 PM

60 posts, read 182,697 times

Advertisements

Dear cubssoxfan, take a look at 422 June Terrace (285), 440 Valencia Rd (275), 442 E Berry Rd (250) and several others. They are all modest homes which would allow a family to enjoy Barrington's excellent schools, park district, library, metra and small town life. Many of these homes have been well maintained and updated. While I am not a real estate professional but I have visited many homes while living in Barrington. What may appear a cottage on the outside is often a jewel on the inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 05:25 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
You have Skokie/Lincolnwood/ and Morton Grove written all over you. Niles Township High Schools are extremely diverse schools with above average test scores. Skokie has the Yellow Line which will take your husband to the Red or Purple Line at Howard. He can easily take the Purple Line express to work. It runs M-F from 6-9 and 3-7 I believe.

Morton Grove has the METRA which is another train that will get him downtown quickly. You may want to try and avoid District 69 in Skokie, but any other district is more than adequate. Good luck, and welcome to Chicago (pretty soon anyway )
I agree with this. Skokie has several places listed in the price range. Skokie was actually the most diverse place I lived in. The neighborhood I was in was very diverse. The schools are excellent and the train line is doable.

Dorothy

Old 09-03-2010, 05:53 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMove View Post
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the suggestions, right now we're making our lists of places to research, so this is really helpful.

One I've seen that looks really great is Oak Park.....the houses are way outside our budget it seems, but looks like rental prices (for the 1 house I found :-)) aren't horrible...Are there any other tradeoffs that we'd have to make from the original list if we were in Oak Park?

Thanks again..

There are probably 1000+ existing threads about life in Oak Park. In short, some people may be uncomfortable with the "urban-ness" of Oak Park. Some people love the "urban-ness" of Oak Park.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:07 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Homewood (south suburbs) would be perfect. It has everything you want in a charming, small town atmosphere. You can get a beautiful home for well under your budget. Neighboing Flossmoor is even more quaint, but a bit pricier.

Frankfort might be good. It is mostly, but not excluively white. Majority black Matteson (another good place to look) is next door. Frankfort schools are excellent, though the train is a short drive away in Mokena. It is even more expensive, but still a good selection of homes in your budget.
All great suggestions. I'd also throw Olympia Fields on that list.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:27 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
The only real drawback of Oak Park that you might find is that's it's a long drive to access open space and outdoor activities. The south suburbs, on the other hand, have a ton of forest preserves, and quick access to state parks in downstate Illinois, Indiana and Michigan.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 AM

6 posts, read 8,334 times
If you're looking for close to the city, Oak Park may be the area. Surrounding areas include Berwyn, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Oak Park is just as hit with the economy as everyone else. There's something very neighborhood-y about the area, but it can also be a very private place... it totally depends on the street you live on, to be honest. You won't find a sprawling back yard there, but then again, unless you move out to the country, you won't find that anywhere anymore.

My suggestion to you is to look at where your husband will be working, then follow the train lines out on metra.com. Look at each of the stops and then the neighborhoods as you go around. And, don't be afraid to look North, West, and South. The south suburbs (like Flossmoor, Homewood, and even further west like Tinley Park and Orland Park have a great mix of cultures despite what any pre-concieved notions may be.)

Old 09-20-2010, 02:33 PM

16 posts, read 53,239 times
if you won't mind look at 330k houses, you may want to take a look at Green Trails subdivision in Lisle. The middle school is kennedy, multiple time blue ribbon school award winner. express trains run 35 minutes from Lisle to downtown

Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,167 times
what about west aurora

Old 09-21-2010, 05:05 PM

17 posts, read 37,973 times
I know such a place Downers Grove. Good elemntry schools ok middle great high school. Ok for budget nice backyards and homes. Awesome downtown dg for whole family 3 metra train stops close to yorktown and oakbrook shopping malls and grocfery store in downtown dg and jewel and dominicks right there great parks and park district very pet friendly and kid friendly community

Old 09-21-2010, 06:16 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Think about brookfield. Its a nice town and the zoo is right there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs