Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 AM

6 posts, read 16,355 times

Advertisements

The Oak Park area will probably be best. I have a job that requires me to travel from school to school
and the near western suburbs were a strategic location for me. The city is looooong but not very wide. Great schools, public transportion, plus enough shopping and restaurants to keep you from o running back and forth downtown. Keep in mind Chicago's traffic. You may look at a map and things appear to be close, but you can spend hours trying to get back and forth in Chicagoland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiRaphael View Post
The Oak Park area will probably be best. I have a job that requires me to travel from school to school
and the near western suburbs were a strategic location for me. The city is looooong but not very wide. Great schools, public transportion, plus enough shopping and restaurants to keep you from o running back and forth downtown. Keep in mind Chicago's traffic. You may look at a map and things appear to be close, but you can spend hours trying to get back and forth in Chicagoland.
You also might consider a bit further west near the junction of I-290 (eisenhower expressway) and I-294 (tristate tollway). That way you can go east, north, or south fairly easily. Lots of nice communities in that area.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan
...Schools don't want to see salesmen at arrival or dismissal time...

Avenger: What did you not understand?
How would anyone know what the guy does for a living? And what is the bias against salesmen?

I don't get it.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:59 AM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
How would anyone know what the guy does for a living? And what is the bias against salesmen?

I don't get it.
I didn't get that comment either - he is a subcontractor, working with CPS. I'm looking forward to him getting snow days off! w00t!

We're in the "living in a sea of boxes" phase - a relocation company is handling the move, which makes it more attractive to buy rather than rent (they pay closing costs, inspection fees, title searches etc. if you buy but don't pay for 1st/last/security if you rent)

He's going to rent a room week to week while we stay behind to sell the house (I hope we price it right and stage it well!). The idea is he will get a first-hand feel of the commute and communities. We still need to fly out and look as a couple!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:34 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
I didn't get that comment either - he is a subcontractor, working with CPS. I'm looking forward to him getting snow days off! w00t!

We're in the "living in a sea of boxes" phase - a relocation company is handling the move, which makes it more attractive to buy rather than rent (they pay closing costs, inspection fees, title searches etc. if you buy but don't pay for 1st/last/security if you rent)

He's going to rent a room week to week while we stay behind to sell the house (I hope we price it right and stage it well!). The idea is he will get a first-hand feel of the commute and communities. We still need to fly out and look as a couple!
Sigh......no bias against salesmen. I did not know if he was in sales, that's why I asked. Salespeople typically have more control over their schedule than someone with a standard 8-5/9-5 schedule and therfore can sometimes avoid the worst traffic hours of the day. And schools are very busy during dismissal and arrival and, unless there is an appointment scheduled or problem to rectify, do not want salespeople dropping in during these times. Any more questions?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Just to help you get some ideas...

Quote:
he's involved in food management - he's "back of house" and is definitely a welcome visitor when he arrives. My understanding is that his piece of it will be 150 schools. Not divvied up geographically. He's planning to be onsite at any of his facilities early - and then head home early as well. I believe his work hours will be 7-3. (theoretically leave at 6a, home by 5). Still a long day no matter how you slice it!

Just got back from peds ... 2 of my kids have strep ... GREAT add that to the stress of moving!!
I think others have warned you that the kind of house you can expect to get in your price range, with any kind of a reasonable commute to "points unknown" within Chicago probably will be very different that what you currently have.

Just as point of reference, this place is in your price range, is actually in a very desirable town / has some really superior schools by any measure, and is a good value for the size. Negatives are the fact it is too close to the tollway, and a bit unpolished. 423 MILLS St, HINSDALE, IL 60521 | MLS# 07623524

You will find similar homes in the towns that are east of Hinsdale, and they really will not sell for much less if they are at least as big. The other towns won't have schools that are quite so highly rated, the tax burden may be higher, and the potential for price stability may not be as good.

If you go west of Hinsdale your husband's commute will be worse, you may get a more fixed up / newer home, less challenged site, schools will not quite a good. You will not spend much less...

Old 09-28-2010, 10:14 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think others have warned you that the kind of house you can expect to get in your price range, with any kind of a reasonable commute to "points unknown" within Chicago probably will be very different that what you currently have.

Just as point of reference, this place is in your price range, is actually in a very desirable town / has some really superior schools by any measure, and is a good value for the size. Negatives are the fact it is too close to the tollway, and a bit unpolished. 423 MILLS St, HINSDALE, IL 60521 | MLS# 07623524

You will find similar homes in the towns that are east of Hinsdale, and they really will not sell for much less if they are at least as big. The other towns won't have schools that are quite so highly rated, the tax burden may be higher, and the potential for price stability may not be as good.

If you go west of Hinsdale your husband's commute will be worse, you may get a more fixed up / newer home, less challenged site, schools will not quite a good. You will not spend much less...
Chet, what about going east into Western Springs or LaGrange area? More options/better values?

Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 AM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
where can I find a listing of the ratings of schools - or some sort of report card on how the schools have done on EOG and other standardized tests ?? The realtors have been helpful in finding us homes that meet out financial goals in the towns we've been targeting. Not the prettiest looking things, but we know we'll be taking a trip back into the 70s and we're ok with that. Break out the white paint and paint over all that chair rail and wainscot !! The wood accents and wood paneling are GHASTLY!

Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default There are more options, but not much cheaper...

If the OP understands what you get for $300k with a decent commute and desirable schools they'll be in for less of an "omigawd" experience.

I wish I could point her to someplace where she could find a relatively recently built home and cul de sacs and the big yard she is used to but she has to realize that there are some charms in a nice story and half solid brick bungalow too. In WS or LaGrange there are probably no better priced homes than the one I linked to, but I don't know if she'd be ok with the site...

If she wants to really take advantage of the relocation package she can't really mess around for too long with REOs or short sales. She is going to have to make some compromises. The nice thing about the home I linked is hubby can literally be on the Stevenson or the Ike or 294 within minutes of leaving his driveway. Both Midway and O'Hare are any easy drive. The local schools really are among the most highly rated in the region. Since this would be onthe very low end of home prices the taxes will be a good value. The odds of price erosion are very small. There is a Whole Foods walkaby close, as well nice parks. Bicycle distance from both the shops in Western Springs and Hinsdale.

The negative(s) might be too great a shock to the system, but it is a data point to have in mind...

Old 09-28-2010, 10:41 AM

10 posts, read 21,866 times
Quote:
where can I find a listing of the ratings of schools - or some sort of report card on how the schools have done on EOG and other standardized tests ?? The realtors have been helpful in finding us homes that meet out financial goals in the towns we've been targeting. Not the prettiest looking things, but we know we'll be taking a trip back into the 70s and we're ok with that. Break out the white paint and paint over all that chair rail and wainscot !! The wood accents and wood paneling are GHASTLY!

Try schooldigger.com or great schools.net. You can find just about every school in the country on both sites. I prefer greatschools.net, since it gives ratings based on test scores as well as reviews from parents, teachers, and students that have attended the schools. So you can get insider information like is the school diverse, is it full of snobs, super overachievers, good for kids with special needs, etc. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs