Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,003 times

Advertisements

I don't have it yet, but I'm in the running for a job in Westchester, so my husband and I are trying to figure out where we might live. We'd be relocating from a small town in Southern Wisconsin (pop. 4,000), but are excited about the prospect of living in an area with more diversity and having shopping, dining and events readily available. Some high-level details:
We have a 10-year-old daughter, so schools are obviously our first concern
We're too liberal-minded for our current town!
Don't yet know where my husband will work, but he's searching in all the nearby suburbs
Looking for a commute of 30 min. or less to Westchester
House budget: $400K (ideally a 3BR with at least a modest yard)

So...what suburbs would you recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 06:09 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Westchester itself, Northlake, Melrose Park, North Eastern Maywood, Berwyn, Cicero, Franklin Park, Stone Park....

Westchester, Northlake, and the newer parts of Melrose park are the more suburban, quiet ones.

The rest are a bit more urban, gritty, and kind of bad. ... Mostly Cicero and Maywood.

Depends where in the town you live.

Oak Park, River Forest, River Grove, Oak Brook, La Grange, Brookfield are no doubt the best burbs close to there but they are more expensive.

And the schools are better there too.

I just read the daughter part... woops.

Forget the whole list of first suburbs I mentioned if your daughter is going to public schools..

Although Morton West Highschool isn't that bad. Northlake and Franklin Park kids go to that one.
I don't know anything about the elementary school for those though.

Avoid any place where she will go to Proviso West or East.

Proviso East is the suckiest school west the Chicago city limits... trust me I went there.

But yeah... maybe someone else can elaborate on the second list I put.

Oh yeah, Broadview is a cool suburb too.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:41 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
River Forest, La Grange, Riverside all have great schools and homes within your price range. Also very safe.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,003 times
What about Elmhurst? Is that worth a look?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Elmhurst is a great town, and parts are quite convenient to the employment center(s) in Westchester. There are certainly many homes in Elmhurst priced well above your target, but also some that would be a good fit. Elmhurst has a fairly large "Community School District" but folks definitely drive up the prices in the more desirable attendance areas, so that might be a concern. York High School is very large and well liked by many.

As part of a "total package" the really well developed central downtown of Elmhurst, adjacent campus of Elmhurst College with municipal library, museums and parks makes for a hard to beat combination. Of course homes convenient to all that may be harder to find in your price range...

Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Westchester itself, Northlake, Melrose Park, North Eastern Maywood, Berwyn, Cicero, Franklin Park, Stone Park....

Westchester, Northlake, and the newer parts of Melrose park are the more suburban, quiet ones.

The rest are a bit more urban, gritty, and kind of bad. ... Mostly Cicero and Maywood.

Depends where in the town you live.

Oak Park, River Forest, River Grove, Oak Brook, La Grange, Brookfield are no doubt the best burbs close to there but they are more expensive.

And the schools are better there too.

I just read the daughter part... woops.

Forget the whole list of first suburbs I mentioned if your daughter is going to public schools..

Although Morton West Highschool isn't that bad. Northlake and Franklin Park kids go to that one.
I don't know anything about the elementary school for those though.

Avoid any place where she will go to Proviso West or East.

Proviso East is the suckiest school west the Chicago city limits... trust me I went there.

But yeah... maybe someone else can elaborate on the second list I put.

Oh yeah, Broadview is a cool suburb too.
Kids that live in Northlake and Franklin Park go to the Leyden High schools...Kids from Berwyn attend Morton West.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:05 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Kids that live in Northlake and Franklin Park go to the Leyden High schools...Kids from Berwyn attend Morton West.
right right.
Morton... Leyden... Proviso...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs