Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 04:55 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,836 times

Advertisements

My son loves fish, but I almost never buy it. After having lived in California for a year, the fish here is not even close.

I know there is a Supreme Lobster on North Ave in Villa Park which I have to try, but I only need to buy a little at a time.

Has anyone tried the fish at the grocery stores (including Target). I'm looking more for halibut, bass, and not looking for salmon or shimp.

I almost bought a piece of sea bass at Target, but it was $18!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 05:23 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
I believe Costco is good for fresh fish - I only buy frozen and I buy it there.

You might try Trader Joes, or Whole Foods. While I have bought fish in Jewel, it's never been much good.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:50 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Um, you may have noticed that Target is not primarily a grocery store...

If you were comparing the Safeways in CA to the Dominicks in IL that is at least in the same ballpark,as they are part of the same corporate family.

Target really has a pretty minimal amount of space devoted to groceries in comparison to the other stuff they sell.

Fish,whether frozen hard or sold in a state closer to the way you'll be putting it to the pan,is pretty fragile. If you don't buy it from a store that moves lots of it quickly you are taking a risk.

Comparing the prices of stuff that is shipped to you directly from some pacific northwest fish market might be a more appropriate measure of what is a good deal.

Some people like to shop for fish from a dedicated supplier that will make things right if a bad portion slips through the quality checks...

http://www.pikeplacefish.com/Fish.html

Old 09-19-2010, 09:17 PM

281 posts, read 928,485 times
Of course the problem is logistical. In a seaport town, especially San Francisco or Seattle, you are getting it literally fresh off the boat. Fish in Illinois comes either frozen or it is flown in same day, which is expensive. You have options.

1) Gets used to frozen fish. If you defrost it carefully and cook it properly it is almost as good. Almost.
2) There is freshwater fish produced locally. It is different from seafood, but some of it is very good.
3) Hunt down the places that have fresh seafood and be prepared to pay for it. The volume supermarkets demand is not available, so stick to small specialty shops. There is a stall in the French Market in the old Northwestern train station on Canal Street that has fresh salmon and sushi-quality tuna available quite reasonably. If you are in the north 'burbs Porky's on US-41 at Wadsworth Road has a very good selection that won't break the bank.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:22 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
Of course the problem is logistical. In a seaport town, especially San Francisco or Seattle, you are getting it literally fresh off the boat. Fish in Illinois comes either frozen or it is flown in same day, which is expensive. You have options.

1) Gets used to frozen fish. If you defrost it carefully and cook it properly it is almost as good. Almost.
2) There is freshwater fish produced locally. It is different from seafood, but some of it is very good.
3) Hunt down the places that have fresh seafood and be prepared to pay for it. The volume supermarkets demand is not available, so stick to small specialty shops. There is a stall in the French Market in the old Northwestern train station on Canal Street that has fresh salmon and sushi-quality tuna available quite reasonably. If you are in the north 'burbs Porky's on US-41 at Wadsworth Road has a very good selection that won't break the bank.

I can't believe I don't know this, but what is good local fish? I really need to start cooking more fish at home, but need some tips...

Old 09-20-2010, 11:52 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I can't believe I don't know this, but what is good local fish? I really need to start cooking more fish at home, but need some tips...

Lake perch and smelt are both good.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:59 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
My son loves fish, but I almost never buy it. After having lived in California for a year, the fish here is not even close.

I know there is a Supreme Lobster on North Ave in Villa Park which I have to try, but I only need to buy a little at a time.

Has anyone tried the fish at the grocery stores (including Target). I'm looking more for halibut, bass, and not looking for salmon or shimp.

The fish and seafood in general here is just not as good ...you should probably get over it (instead of going on wild goose chase for what you experienced elsewhere). I've lived about 80-90% of my life in either Florida or California so (both near the coast)...I am speaking of stuff like red snapper, grouper, salmon, lobster, crab, conch, tuna, mahi mahi, shrimp, oysters, abalone etc I feel your pain in that regard. Best bet would be to go to Rubino's in West Loop...Otherwise you should probably hit up Whole Foods...possibly Mitsuwa...
The stuff you are eating in California was probably still swimming that morning, which is the deal killer, no matter how good the chef happens to be.

Last edited by grapico; 09-20-2010 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 01:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
My son loves fish, but I almost never buy it. After having lived in California for a year, the fish here is not even close..
Why should it be or how could it be? Chicago is not next to a giant ocean.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:48 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Trout,Catfish...Asian Carp.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:

Of all the large grocery chains, I have had the best luck with Meijer's.

In general, however, I would rather buy frozen as in my experience, it is more likely to be handled properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs