Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:56 PM

16,901 posts, read 14,231,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
No, I really could care less what's going on in indiana. In fact I can count on one hand the number of times I have actually even been to indiana and have no interest at all to post negative untrue comments about an area that I don't even have an interest enough to even drive to. But, for whatever reason you claim to have an interest and knowledge in an area that I live in and paid a considerable amount of money to do so just the same as others who choose to live in the area have done. And, you obviously don't have a fricken clue about the area just as I don't about living in indiana. And furthermore, you and several other posters on this board clearly do not share the same beliefs of most people that I find who choose to live in my area including myself, about all races of people being equal. And, someone isn't mentally superior just because they are white and all that other total crap that I am hearing. If you prefer a more segregated rural suburban setting that is fine, and I totally respect that. I honestly could not think of anything negative to say about that even if I wanted to.
Check yourself. Seriously.

I know quite a deal about the south suburbs since, 1. I have a financial interest in several of the communities, 2. I grew up in the area & still have a boatload of friends and familly there and 3., I am in the south suburbs & south side frequently (see #1 & #2).

And when did this become a racial disagreement over, apparently how superior I am because I'm white? Show me where I've ever posted that I have a problem with the south side because of changing demographics in the area. Please. I'm waiting.

Every discussion I've ever had with you has absolutely nothing to do with equality of different races - but has everything to do with how you believe that crime hasn't increased in many of the south suburbs and schools aren't in the tank. To say that HF - or a handful of other south side suburbs - hasn't been slowly headed downhill over the last decade or so is an outright untruth.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:22 PM

829 posts, read 2,076,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Check yourself. Seriously.

I know quite a deal about the south suburbs since, 1. I have a financial interest in several of the communities, 2. I grew up in the area & still have a boatload of friends and familly there and 3., I am in the south suburbs & south side frequently (see #1 & #2).

And when did this become a racial disagreement over, apparently how superior I am because I'm white? Show me where I've ever posted that I have a problem with the south side because of changing demographics in the area. Please. I'm waiting.

Every discussion I've ever had with you has absolutely nothing to do with equality of different races - but has everything to do with how you believe that crime hasn't increased in many of the south suburbs and schools aren't in the tank. To say that HF - or a handful of other south side suburbs - hasn't been slowly headed downhill over the last decade or so is an outright untruth.
Gee, I don't know. I posted those facts before and chicagoland just posted similar facts less than 5 post ago. Is chicagoland correct or do you have different facts? Why don't you just give a simple answer to that question with atleast like one honest fact to support? And is the indiana school in your area actually so much better than homewood-flossmoor? Is it ranked higher on the national newsweek 1000 school list or are there even any indiana schools that are actually nationally ranked at all? What makes it so much better? Is it the better test scores. If so what is the median ACT score? Or is it just because it is over 95 percent white? Chicagoland went back to 2003 and I went back to 2001. HF hasn't been going downhill the past decade and the ACT scores are roughly the same as they were in 2003. As far as crime I don't know. The suburb that I live in has never had anything serious occur like a murder I believe in the history of it's existance.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-06-2010 at 03:47 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Gee, I don't know. I posted those facts before and chicagoland just posted similar facts less than 5 post ago. Is chicagoland correct or do you have different facts? Why don't you just give a simple answer to that question with atleast like one honest fact to support? And is the indiana school in your area actually so much better than homewood-flossmoor. Is it ranked higher on the national newsweek 1000 school list or are there even any indiana schools that are actually ranked at all? What makes it so much better? Is it the better test scores. If so what is the median ACT score? Or is it just because it is over 95 percent white? Chicagoland went back to 2003 and I went back to 2001. HF hasn't been going downhill the past decade and the ACT scores are roughly the same as they were in 2003. As far as crime I don't know. The suburb that I live in has never had anything serious occur like a murder I believe in the history of it's existance.
Seriously, what is your problem?

HF is on the Academic Early Warning Status for Illinois. A former blue ribbon school that was one of the best of the best in the Chicagoland area for YEARS has now been put on academic watch. Pretty sad, actually.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:47 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,430,130 times
Quote:
..In fact I can count on one hand the number of times I have actually even been to indiana...
Do you ever leave your house? Jeez. You must have not traveled to many states east of the Mississippi River as one must go through Indiana to get to a decent percentage of them.

And next time you rip on someone for not ever going to or rarely going to ghetto neighborhoods and suburbs in the Chicago area and accuse them of being "racist" I will make sure to call you out on that. You have double standards.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Seriously, what is your problem?

HF is on the Academic Early Warning Status for Illinois. A former blue ribbon school that was one of the best of the best in the Chicagoland area for YEARS has now been put on academic watch. Pretty sad, actually.

No ,that isn't sad. You are just attempting to blow smoke. You come accross as a smart manipulator and I think you know good and well what those yearly progress results mean in itself. Absolutely nothing. If you look at the entire list you will find several high nationally ranked illinois schools that are also on that list. But, since you are saying that HF somehow sucks because of this then if you were someone who looked at things objectively then the same rules should apply to the other high ranking schools on the list. What About Glenbrook North in northbrook? Nationally ranked Glenbrook north did not make adequate yearly progress last year and is on the early warning list. The median ACT score for the glenbrook student body is 25. Wow what a crappy school. And you still never bothered to answer any of the questions that I asked about the idiana high school in your area. And what truly makes it so much better. Test scores? national rankings? or just being 95 percent white is enough for you?

Last edited by allen2323; 10-06-2010 at 04:31 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
No ,that isn't sad. You are just attempting to blow smoke. You come accross as a smart manipulator and I think you know good and well what those yearly progress results mean in itself. Absolutely nothing. If you look at the entire list you will find several high nationally ranked illinois schools that are also on that list, it means absolutely nothing. But, since you are saying that HF somehow sucks because of this then if you were someone who looked at things objectively then the same rules should apply to the other high ranking schools on the list. What About Glenbrook North? Nationally ranked Glenbrook north did not make adequate yearly progress last year and is on the early warning list. The median ACT score for the glenbrook student body is 25. Wow what a crappy school. And you still never bothered to answer any of the questions that I asked about idiana schools. And what truly makes them so great. And why is it so hard to locate any concrete information about them?
Because this isn't a thread about Illinois vs. Indiana schools. Nor is it about Glenbrook. But the test scores of my district surpass HF. As do Munster HS as well.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the Newsweek rankings btw - all it takes to get on that list is to force every darn kid to take AP tests. What you score doesn't even matter.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:40 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,046,343 times
I almost bought a house in H-F not too many years ago. I thought it was a good deal, wasn't personally put off by the shifting demographics (I think of it as a black discount -- great homes at prices you would never see if it were all white). I also didn't see any evidence of high crime (personal anecdotes, stats, and my own observations there). What ultimately put me off was the school. I do not think it is any worse than whatever school in Tinley Park or Orland Park. But I did see some red flags and signs of decline (not that it was bad, but that it was heading in the wrong direction). Part of this is no doubt what Allen points out -- one is conditioned to see decline where they see black people. Part of it I think is based in more quantitative measures. Better or worse, though, for a typical white kid it's hard to go to school with so many blacks. Probably the same for a black kid in a white school. There are cultural differences. I lived them when I was in high school. It's kind of stressful. So, I chose the city, lower property taxes, and private schools.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I almost bought a house in H-F not too many years ago. I thought it was a good deal, wasn't personally put off by the shifting demographics (I think of it as a black discount -- great homes at prices you would never see if it were all white). I also didn't see any evidence of high crime (personal anecdotes, stats, and my own observations there). What ultimately put me off was the school. I do not think it is any worse than whatever school in Tinley Park or Orland Park. But I did see some red flags and signs of decline (not that it was bad, but that it was heading in the wrong direction). Part of this is no doubt what Allen points out -- one is conditioned to see decline where they see black people. Part of it I think is based in more quantitative measures. Better or worse, though, for a typical white kid it's hard to go to school with so many blacks. Probably the same for a black kid in a white school. There are cultural differences. I lived them when I was in high school. It's kind of stressful. So, I chose the city, lower property taxes, and private schools.

I agree with what you said and I think that is what it all really boils down to. Everyone has there own personal and cultural comfort zones. And I am no different. But, I do not try to pass my personal and cultural comfort zone off as being factual and being objective like some do on the board. I think I have said this before, this conversation has been had before about integrated communities all over america. At the end of the day I think an area becoming successfully integrated only further validates how desirable and valuable the area actually is. Hyde park, oak park, flossmoor, olympia fields, homewood, beverly, evanston, etc.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-06-2010 at 06:32 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I agree with what you said and I think that is what it all really boils down to.
So you agree that HF schools are declining.

I appreciate you admitting it.

Thank you.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
So you agree that HF schools are declining.

I appreciate you admitting it.

Thank you.

No, I can agree with what ajolotl said that as far as his own racial comfort zone and personal opinion go he took a pass on homewood-flossmoor. Please read my post. Ajolotl is not trying to in any way take his own personal comfort zone, personal opinion and pass it along as factual or objective. Test scores are factual. Rankings are objective. Too many african american people living in an area for your comfort zone is personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs