Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:52 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,103,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
when it says "Welcome to Iowa"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I assume you're joking.
Actually, when I was overseas in Turkey I said I was from Chicago. Nobody knew where the hell Iowa was. Got sick of explaining it to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 04:53 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,015,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yes they have-but you can't claim that you know this entirely from life experience.
Au contraire. I have childhood memories of the ice cream shop on Joe Orr Road in Chicago Heights. And looking out the car window.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:53 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
TBH I don't think the small metro areas even have official suburbs.
Rockford and Peoria have a few suburbs. Whether Peoria or Rockford is sometimes refer to as " the city" or not is what I want to know.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:11 PM

736 posts, read 1,688,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Actually, when I was overseas in Turkey I said I was from Chicago. Nobody knew where the hell Iowa was. Got sick of explaining it to them.
That's because Iowa is a flyover state.

But you don't do that in the US I assume.

There are people from random towns in Indiana (I'm talking east of Highland, Hammond, etc.) who claim to live in "Chicago".

It's not just Chicago, it happens with other cities too, i.e., with San Francisco or "the Bay Area" people from all over northern California claim to live in "the Bay".

I mean, say where you live, not the nearest "big city" where you wish you lived. Saying you live in Chicago when you really live in, let's say, Rochelle, IL, doesn't make you sophisticated or glamorous. It makes you annoying and (kind of) fake.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
I don't understand why people get worked up about this issue. Sometimes just saying "Chicago" when you live in the suburbs is a quick approximation when you don't feel like explaining to someone where Itasca or Woodridge is or anywhere else that nobody outside northern Illinois has ever heard of. If you're going to end up using Chicago as your reference point anyway, you might as well just cut to the chase and say you're from Chicago.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,274,586 times
After Joliet its basically a different state

Old 10-15-2010, 10:39 AM

947 posts, read 2,412,236 times
There is isolated farmland in Mokena and Frankfort, but living close to I-80, it is often times faster to get downtown than parts of southwest Chicago, battling street traffic to access I-55.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 PM

694 posts, read 2,007,315 times
There is a trailer park in Glenview, just south of Willow. Kids get a great education and come home to the double wide.....

Old 10-18-2010, 09:46 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,194,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
There is a trailer park in Glenview, just south of Willow. Kids get a great education and come home to the double wide.....
And because of the excellent schools get to display bumper sticker saying "My trailer-trash kid is smarter than your McMansion kid".

Old 10-18-2010, 09:50 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,194,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't understand why people get worked up about this issue. Sometimes just saying "Chicago" when you live in the suburbs is a quick approximation when you don't feel like explaining to someone where Itasca or Woodridge is or anywhere else that nobody outside northern Illinois has ever heard of. If you're going to end up using Chicago as your reference point anyway, you might as well just cut to the chase and say you're from Chicago.
Exactly. Most of us wouldn't know a London, Berlin, Athens, Tokyo suburb. Easier to say largest big city. To add accuracy implement how far from Chicago using time or distance. If person is interested they will inquire for more dtails on exact location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs