U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,404 times
Default Glencoe schools for non Jewish kids

There is a lot of talk on this forum about the Jewish community in Glencoe, and questions from Jewish families looking to join the community. My question to forum contributors is does anyone have experience being a non Jewish family in the Glencoe school system, and if so, please share your experience. We are considering buying a home in the Glencoe school district, and whilst I am an advocate of religious freedom, I don't want my family (particularly kids in school) feeling excluded. Many thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 06:15 AM

20,736 posts, read 32,507,164 times
Default Good grief...

The public schools in Glencoe are completely secular, heck most of the folks with a Jewish background in the higher income areas that have kids are pretty "non-observant" as they say. The handful of more devote folks certainly do not go out of their way to "exclude" anyone.

The pockets of more fervent folks tend to be on the income strata bit below Glencoe, and many of them choose to send their children to non-public schools.

Now if you do choose to live in Glencoe and you like to talk politics and such THAT is pretty much a guaranteed way to get folks to turn their backs to you as there is little agreement among folks even of heritage that includes time in Isreal of the best course of future action towards the problems in that region.

Believe me, short of being the kind of thoughtless person that automatically tops all burgers with cheese and thinks nothing of making shellfish dips or BBQ pork for cookouts the folks that live in Glencoe or Highland Park or other pockets of affluence and Jewish heritage do not go out of their way to impose their views on anyone...

Old 10-18-2010, 06:28 AM

114 posts, read 187,884 times
It has been the experience of some very close friends of mine that being a non-Jew has left them very out of the loop in Glencoe. While most all of the other kids are away at camp for 6-8 weeks every summer their kids are in town. When the bar/bas mitvahs are being planned they and their kids are again out that loop however usually invited.
Based on their experiences I would re-consider.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:37 AM

Default I disagree. Being out of the loop is not same as excluded!

I have been invited to dozens of bar mitzvahs and I am about non-Jewish as they come. The kids all look the same. They all spend an awful lot on parties that are well attended by folks of diverse backgrounds.

Having the dough to go to summer camp for 6-8 weeks (?!?!!!) would exclude damn near everyone I know, as even non residential day camps cost upwards of a grand a week!

If you don't wanna live large there are other places to look...

Old 10-18-2010, 07:01 AM

114 posts, read 187,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I have been invited to dozens of bar mitzvahs and I am about non-Jewish as they come. The kids all look the same. They all spend an awful lot on parties that are well attended by folks of diverse backgrounds.

Having the dough to go to summer camp for 6-8 weeks (?!?!!!) would exclude damn near everyone I know, as even non residential day camps cost upwards of a grand a week!

If you don't wanna live large there are other places to look...
I didn't say my friends are excluded. In fact they are very included. The point was that due to some traditions, etc., they or their children often felt out of the loop and if they had it to do over again would not have moved to Glencoe. It seems to me that the OP was looking for what other non-Jews have experienced.
There are many other north shore suburbs whether one wants to "live large" or not.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:23 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,252,569 times
OP your concers are exactly why I very reluctantly cut Glencoe from my list of places to house hunt may years ago. Unless you move into the area surrounding the Skokie Country Club, you may find that you feel out of things in Glencoe.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:01 PM

1,728 posts, read 2,573,274 times
Always found it ironic that Skokie Valley Country Club excludes Jews or Blacks. Glencoe and Wilmette tend to be more Jewish, while Winnetka and Kenilworth are more waspy (blue blood). If you live in Glencoe and your children attend the Glencoe elementary schools, the proportion of non Jewish students is lower than in Winnetka/Kenilworth. However the high school, New Trier, is about 1/3 Jewish. Judaism does not impose their religion on others (i.e. does not prosthelytize). Politically, the Jewish community there is pretty liberal. Most of the Jewish families in that area are reform, not Orthodox (i.e. not overly religious).

Old 10-18-2010, 11:15 PM
hsw

2,066 posts, read 4,071,360 times
Socio-economic culture of Glencoe and New Trier (or any other upscale suburban corridor of any major city) is not unlike "diversity" found at top trading desks at Goldman or BigHedgeFunds in MidtownManhattan

Throw in a few more Indians and have socio-economics of top ranks of tech cos. in Silicon Valley and BigHedgeFunds in NYC or CA

And SiliconValley has plenty of random middle-income non-Jewish kids from Midwest who are alums of U-IL CompSci undergrad (Andreessen, etc)

Places like Glencoe prepare any kid for culture that awaits at Stanford Computer Science or Wharton Finance undergrad or Goldman/HFs or Apple/Google/Facebook/whatever start-up of moment

Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 AM

1,728 posts, read 2,573,274 times
Despite the name, Goldman Sachs is not known as a Jewish financial firm. It is mostly wasps. Neither was Lehman Brothers, obviously not Morgan Stanley. The Jewish firm was Bahr Stearns. Jews and Italians are generally shut out of the big hedge fund firms in NYC. Read a book called the Wolf of Wall Street, it's a true story. The film Boiler Room is based on the firm in the book.

Apple is also not known as a Jewish company. Google and Facebook are both predominantly Jewish started and operated.

While Jews and Indians are in the higher income brackets, I wouldn't say that the high tech/computer/hedge funds are predominantly Jewish or Indian. Still mostly White Anglo Saxon Protestant.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:09 PM

Default I can't say much about NYC without getting I trouble with curent overlords...

...but wheni it comes to LaSalle / Wackee / Ruah the high frequency traders and others that make lots of money very vey fast have plenty of members of the tribe...

And they tend to be nice about it. I mean that. Even among high power Jewish attorneys that I know in Glencoe they really are not exclusionary at all. None of the ones I know send their kids away all summer. Baseball and basketball are they fill their time out of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs