Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:05 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Funny stuff. And seriously, I call bull - or there's a large part of your converstion missing - because no cop is going to paint a rosy picture of Cal City less than a week after a car chase that started in Cal City left two dead.

Cal City isn't a bad area because its black. It's a bad area AND black.
You can call bull all you want, It really don't bother me what you think. The difference is many cops know the fact, that the majority of the calls they go on are alcohol related and domestics.

car chases can and do happen in almost any village, town, and city. A car chase doesn't make a place bad. what to you makes Cal City a bad area? Mainly your only reasoning that it is a bad area, or that it is dangerous, is because you believe it is.

I personally can't see what is so dangerous about it. No issues with walking around in Cal City, Never seen anyone threatening anyone, never seen anyone attacking anyone. The worst loud noises I have heard at night is those dang car alarms going off, but, you get that anywhere and everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 08:08 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I agree with you that the danger of Cal City is exaggerated out of fear of minorities. However, I also think it's more complicated than that. There are other communities where you see a large number of minorities like Park Forest and Matteson that don't get talked about in the same way Cal City does. Folks may talk down on Park Forest and Matteson but they don't usually talk about it like it's the seventh level of hell or something. I'm also skeptical that a Cal City cop would say this. I'd like to hear it with my own two ears.
and why would you be skeptical about a cop telling facts? Are the police supposed to lie about the facts so they can appease people that live in biased fear?

Old 08-28-2010, 08:59 AM

17,377 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
You can call bull all you want, It really don't bother me what you think. The difference is many cops know the fact, that the majority of the calls they go on are alcohol related and domestics.

car chases can and do happen in almost any village, town, and city. A car chase doesn't make a place bad. what to you makes Cal City a bad area? Mainly your only reasoning that it is a bad area, or that it is dangerous, is because you believe it is.

I personally can't see what is so dangerous about it. No issues with walking around in Cal City, Never seen anyone threatening anyone, never seen anyone attacking anyone. The worst loud noises I have heard at night is those dang car alarms going off, but, you get that anywhere and everywhere.
Car chases in other towns typically don't begin with punks waving guns around on public streets.

I believe it's a bad area - no, scratch that - I know it's a bad area because of two things: crime stats & what I see (and hear about) on a pretty consistant basis.

More power to you if you think it's your own personal shangrala ... to most people its not. It's a town that's been politically run into the ground - and who's residents (not all of them of course, but more than most people would like) help push it along in the wrong direction.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:11 AM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
Quote:
Car chases in other towns typically don't begin with punks waving guns around on public streets.

I believe it's a bad area - no, scratch that - I know it's a bad area because of two things: crime stats & what I see (and hear about) on a pretty consistant basis.

More power to you if you think it's your own personal shangrala ... to most people its not. It's a town that's been politically run into the ground - and who's residents (not all of them of course, but more than most people would like) help push it along in the wrong direction.

The level of crime that you are saying calumet city has just isn't so. The statistics clearly show otherwise. Even though most of the whites have been scared out of the area by the fear mongerers to northwest indiana. The irony of that is the closest places that are actually dangerous are in neighboring Northwest Indiana. Gary had 49 murders in 2008. Hammond is right next to calumet city and had 13 murders in 2008 compared to 5 in calumet city, and 7 in harvey. Even middle class merrilville had 4 murders in 2008. In fact most northwest indiana suburbs have atleast 1 or 2 murders a year. Even though based on median household income they are alot more more middle class than harvey and even calumet city. And I have heard whites starting to say that they consider homewood, flossmoor, and olympia fields to be getting dangerous. And that all of the whites will be moving soon. Anyone care to share there opinion about this matter of all of the whites moving out of flossmoor, homewood, and olympia fields? Do you think that the middle class and affluent african americans in those communities will mind? And for the most part where will the whites be moving to? In my opinion the only thing that racial fear mongering does is get people, mostly who are white to sell there homes at ridiculously cheap prices in mature well established areas. Then move to newly built far flung exurbs like northwest indiana that will appreciate at a lower rates over the long run.

Last edited by allen2323; 08-28-2010 at 10:56 AM..

Old 08-28-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
The level of crime that you are saying calumet city has just isn't so. The statistics clearly show otherwise. Even though most of the whites have been scared out of the area by the fear mongerers to northwest indiana. The irony of that is the closest places that are actually dangerous are in neighboring Northwest Indiana. Gary had 49 murders in 2008. Hammond is right next to calumet city and had 13 murders in 2008 compared to 5 in calumet city, and 7 in harvey. Even middle class merrilville had 4 murders in 2008. In fact most northwest indiana suburbs have atleast 1 or 2 murders a year. Even though based on median household income they are alot more more middle class than harvey and even calumet city. And I have heard whites starting to say that they consider homewood, flossmoor, and olympia fields to be getting dangerous. And that all of the whites will be moving soon. Anyone care to share there opinion about this matter of all of the whites moving out of flossmoor, homewood, and olympia fields? Do you think that the middle class and affluent african americans in those communities will mind? And for the most part where will the whites be moving to?
Let's wrap ALL the crimes up together shall we? Because murders alone aren't the ONLY crimes.

Take Cal City crime index of 616.3. Much MUCH higher than the US crime average which is 320.9.

But let me guess - you'll say the crime index is skewed because of River Oaks, right? After all, I'm sure there are a lot of robberies & car thefts that take place in Cal City because of the mall.

Orland's crime index is only 118.9. Imagine that.

Harvey = 1006.5
South Holland = 299.8
Hammond = 536.6 - Yes, LOWER and LESS CRIME than Cal City

Homewood & Flossmoor DANGEROUS? Uh, no. Has crime increased over the years? Absolutely.

Homewood's 1999 crime index: 186.3
Homewood's 2008 crime index: 272.9

Flossmoor's 1999 crime index: 66.9
Flossmoor's 2000 crime index: 108.5

I don't know why you keep insisting that Cal City doesn't have a high level of crime. Statistics clearly show otherwise.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:23 AM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
Quote:
Let's wrap ALL the crimes up together shall we? Because murders alone aren't the ONLY crimes.

Take Cal City crime index of 616.3. Much MUCH higher than the US crime average which is 320.9.

But let me guess - you'll say the crime index is skewed because of River Oaks, right? After all, I'm sure there are a lot of robberies & car thefts that take place in Cal City because of the mall.

Orland's crime index is only 118.9. Imagine that.

Harvey = 1006.5
South Holland = 299.8
Hammond = 536.6 - Yes, LOWER and LESS CRIME than Cal City

Homewood & Flossmoor DANGEROUS? Uh, no. Has crime increased over the years? Absolutely.

Homewood's 1999 crime index: 186.3
Homewood's 2008 crime index: 272.9

Flossmoor's 1999 crime index: 66.9
Flossmoor's 2000 crime index: 108.5

I don't know why you keep insisting that Cal City doesn't have a high level of crime. Statistics clearly show otherwise.

We were talking specifically about how dangerous the area is or is not. Not about the amount of retail theft, propety crimes, car break ins, or whatever. That is why I was looking at actual murders. Hammond is by far more dangerous than calumet city or harvey for that matter. I am talking about violent crimes like murders, rapes, and assaults here. Theft and property crime might be lower in hammond or gary, but that is because there is nothing left to steal in hammond or gary. All of the retail businesses have moved out of hammond and gary because of the violent crime. Gary is an absolute hell hole, and Hammond is a tad bit safer than gary. And I would say that calumet city's mostly middle class african american neighbor south holland is alot safer than most northwest indiana middle class suburbs. In fact, alot of the crime issues that calumet city has comes from being so close to the horrible areas of northwest indiana like hammond and gary. Alot of the crime that happens in calumet city happens along state line road.

Last edited by allen2323; 08-28-2010 at 11:44 AM..

Old 08-28-2010, 11:26 AM

157 posts, read 403,043 times
Quote:
The level of crime that you are saying calumet city has just isn't so. The statistics clearly show otherwise. Even though most of the whites have been scared out of the area by the fear mongerers to northwest indiana. The irony of that is the closest places that are actually dangerous are in neighboring Northwest Indiana. Gary had 49 murders in 2008. Hammond is right next to calumet city and had 13 murders in 2008 compared to 5 in calumet city, and 7 in harvey. Even middle class merrilville had 4 murders in 2008. In fact most northwest indiana suburbs have atleast 1 or 2 murders a year. Even though based on median household income they are alot more more middle class than harvey and even calumet city. And I have heard whites starting to say that they consider homewood, flossmoor, and olympia fields to be getting dangerous. And that all of the whites will be moving soon. Anyone care to share there opinion about this matter of all of the whites moving out of flossmoor, homewood, and olympia fields? Do you think that the middle class and affluent african americans in those communities will mind? And for the most part where will the whites be moving to? In my opinion the only thing that racial fear mongering does is get people, mostly who are white to sell there homes at ridiculously cheap prices in mature well established areas. Then move to newly built far flung exurbs like northwest indiana that will appreciate at a lower rates over the long run.
It's funny that you assume that fear mongering and stats are driving people from the south subs to NWI. Most people that I know that moved did so because of their own personal experiences. As a child I can remember being chased by some black teens while riding my bike with some friends on the north side of Calumet City - that alone wasn't enough to make my family move. A couple of years later in South Holland, my brother who was a child at the time was kicked off his bike and suffered injuries while some black teens laughed and took off, I was watching from down the block but couldnt get there to help him in time. A couple of years ago I was filling my car with gas in South Holland and realized that there was a thug walking towards me. Agaist me better judgement I let him walk up to me because I thought he might just want directions or a couple of bucks. He shoved me and told me to give him my keys or he was going to blow my head off with the gun he just took out of his hoodie. There are many incidents that are not reported as crimes but are clear signs of intimidation. My family finally decided to move out of SoHo when we returned from church one sunday morning and there were a large group of teens playing basketball in our driveway. Instead of just clearing out they screamed at my father to let them finish and said they'd be back once we leave. At that point we'd had enough. There were only 2 other white families left on our street. The first wave of blacks that had been great neighbors had already moved out, they had seen this happen before. They had been replaced by folks that didn't really care about keeping up their homes or what their kids were up to. Everyone of my friend's families that moved out had a similar "tipping point" where enough was enough. For one of them it was his teenage sister getting cat calls and being lured over by a couple thugs standing one the corner. I am so happy to now live in northwest Indiana where the biggest disturbance we have to deal with are skateboarders in the street. Sure NWI has some crime too, I dont like going through the northern sections of Merrillville or Hammond either but most of the crime seems to be commited by people that live in more urban areas and come down to do their bidding. Sure there are way worse places than Cal City, SoHo, Dolton, ect. but the longer you're there, the more bad you'll see. I can see the same first bad stages of this happening in Homewood, Glenwood, Olympia Fields, and so on. Once the first wave of good transplants move out they are often replaced by those of a ghetto mentallity. You can say whatever you want about the whites that move out of these areas but many of them tried to stay as long as they could in their hometowns but had to leave eventually. I'll do whatever I have to do to live an an area that I feel is safest for my family and am very happy to live in NWI and not where I grew up in the south burbs. It's sure not what it used to be.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:58 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Hammond is by far more dangerous than calumet city or harvey for that matter. I am talking about violent crimes like murders, rapes, and assaults here.
As Chicagoland60426 already explained, the murder rate is not higher. Hammond has a lot more people than Harvey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Harvey had 7 homicides in 2008( 24.8 per 100,000) while Hammond had 13(17 per 100,000). Because Hammond has more than twice the population( 77,000 compare to 28,000), this made the city appear less dangerous than Harvey.
In other words, for every 100,000 people, only 17 in Hammond were murdered in 2008. For Harvey 24.8 people were murdered in 100,000. This would signify that you are more likely to be murdered in Harvey than Hammond - even if the actual number of murders was higher.

Last edited by urza216; 08-28-2010 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
We were talking specifically about how dangerous the area is or is not. Not about the amount of retail theft, propety crimes, car break ins, or whatever. That is why I was looking at actual murders. Hammond is by far more dangerous than calumet city or harvey for that matter. I am talking about violent crimes like murders, rapes, and assaults here. Theft and property crime might be lower in hammond or gary, but that is because there is nothing left to steal in hammond or gary. All of the retail businesses have moved out of hammond and gary because of the violent crime. Gary is an absolute hell hole, and Hammond is a tad bit safer than gary. And I would say that calumet city's mostly middle class african american neighbor south holland is alot safer than most northwest indiana middle class suburbs. In fact, alot of the crime issues that calumet city has comes from being so close to the horrible areas of northwest indiana like hammond and gary. Alot of the crime that happens in calumet city happens along state line road.
Uh, dangerous also means robberies, assaults, rapes, thefts, etc.

And South Holland is NOT safer than most middle class NWI towns.

South Holland's Crime Index: 299.8

Highland: 231.8
Munster: 116.8
Dyer: 127.1
Whiting: 252.4
Schererville: 155.4

More crime: East Chgo, Hammond, Gary, Griffith

Less crime: Everywhere else

Old 08-28-2010, 02:44 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,815 times
Chuckity wins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs