Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 07:57 PM

64 posts, read 710,027 times

Advertisements

Grew up their in the 70's. Drugs, prostitution, bar on every corner. They've cleaned it up since. Went thru there recently, was impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 9,689 times
Default Calumet City, Illinois

Enclosed you will find a response to "Rubber Duck" concerning Lansing, Illinois and its proximity to Calumet City. As a resident of Calumet City, I find it difficult to talk negative about the place in which I live, but the fact is, Calumet City is in turmoil and experiencing tremendous change. I blame this all on "Big Brother" that is, the Federal Government and its rent subsidy program. Just leave it to the gang in Washington or the State and they really know how to f*** things up. All was peaceful and quiet until they started to bring in the misfits and the castoffs. Don't get me wrong as we already had some Black and Latino neighbors who knew how to maintain a home. The fact is, some of them had houses that were even better than my own. On the other hand, these new arrivals acted as though they never walked on grass as concrete was the only thing they knew. Trash cans, what are they?

To make things worse, I recently attended a community meeting and some of my neighbors were in a state of denial. Their only concern was stop lights, left hand turn signals and pick-up for grass cuttings. It really was like "Arranging deck chairs on the Titanic." That is when I had to stand up and ask if anyone had the nerve to walk home after the meeting as it was dark out at the time. All I got was a silly and sickening grin from the audience and scowls from the city fathers and mothers. What makes the situation even worse where I am concerned is that my wife and I are both senior citizens and we face a future filled with uncertainty. In the meantime, we witness people fleeing like refugees on the last train out of town.

Hi Rubber Duck, As far as your assessment of Lansing, Illinois is concerned, I could not agree more. The fact is, I live in Calumet City and have seen it go from bad to worse. (See the article that appeared in the Northwest Indiana Times under "Local News" dated October 18, 2006, in which I am quoted as telling about the late hour attack on my car and home). I have lived in Calumet City for 35 years having been born in the Woodlawn Neighborhood which is located on the south side of Chicago. After that, we lived in Englewood and then on to the far south side of Chicago. I also had family that lived in Dolton and Riverdale so it is not as though I have always lived in the "burbs" as I have had my share of the "Urban Experience." Also, just for the record, I worked at the University of Chicago for a number of years so I do not think that I could be classified as some knuckle-dragging, Red Neck, however, I can truthfully say that I have never seen things improve. So long as certain elements of our society delude themselves into thinking that they are going to "take over the neighborhood" progress will never be made. I am willing to live and let live and all that I seek is peace and harmony among men (and women too) but when the ultimate goal is the destruction of a neighborhood, then everyone loses. Tis a pity, a darn right pity, but it seems as if people are just bent on self-destruction and all that they get out of pursuing that goal is to taste the ashes from what they have burned or destroyed in whatever path they pursue or take. The Federal Government does not help either with their rent subsidy program as some people are just not prepared to maintain a dwelling place on their own. Rather than try to have the established neighbors adapt to the new arrivals, I think that the federal government should offer some form of "sensitivity" training to those who never lived among the more civilized prior to turning the house keys over to them. Perhaps then they might begin to know what it means to be neighborly. As it is now, I have some pretty good neighbors and they represent all races and creeds, but the drug pushers and gang bangers are another story. That we can all do without, but once again, our Government fails by not being able to control the situation. Of course, drugs mean money and where money is concerned anyone can fall prey to the Devil. I don't have any hope for the situation other than planning for the next move which, to me, is like riding the waves on a never ending sea. On the other hand, I do not have too many years left and can only hope that one day I might wash up on some friendly shore. In the meantime, I can only wonder what future generations might experience as not too many people can afford a gated community or an upscale and secluded home. May the Good Lord watch over us all. Peace, Brother, peace.

[+] Rate this post positively

Thomas Crane
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Thomas Crane
Find all posts by Thomas Crane

Old 11-08-2006, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,098 times
I have lived in Calumet City for 43 years now. I grew up on the north west side of the city and have lived on 161st. st. by Hoover School now for 22 years. I have seen the city change dramaticly. I personaly have not had any major problems with any of my neighbors or the kids in the area. I have raised two children here and I still enjoy the neighborhood. My sister lives over on Walter, near Webb with her four children and she likes it over their. She moved out of the neighborhood, then came back. The neighborhood is not perfect, and we have our share of crime, but the neighbors on this side of town are great as far as I am concerned and we all seem to get along just fine. I have found that if you are friendly and talk to the children in the area, you will have less problems with them.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,095 times
I live on webb street and I have lived here for over 15 years. I am now 23 and I am so scared living here. I would really advise you not to move here. I didn't even go to the local highschool because of how bad it is. Please don't bring your kids here, you never know what kind of crowd they will start hanging out with and you can have major problems!

Old 01-21-2007, 03:24 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
In 2006, there were a dozen murders in Cal City, the most in the Southland. You can make your own decision if this is somewhere you want to live.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,097 times
Default Don't move to Cal Cty, it's not worth it.

I am 26 and was raised in Cal Cty. I lived on Pulaski Rd (same street where the police, library, city hall is on) and I have have been away at school for the past 7 years and unfortunately my family is still here and I hate it. I fight with my mother on the necessity to move out. One of our tenants just got mugged this past weekend at 6:30 am while he was warming him car. Some Mexican gang-bangers forced him to drive him to Chicago and rubbed him while they had a gun pointed at him. I always wonder when enough is going to be enough. I feel the only way my family will move out is if something bad happens to us kids. Even our relatives don't like visiting us from the West Side (Naperville) area. It's sad and embarrassing. I know my family doesn't have the money to move since they are bad with their finances. It is just sad. My dad doesn't want to admit it either since he is basing his Cal cty property for his retirement. I don't know what to do or how to motivate them to move. So, please don't move here. It doesn't matter what race you are, it's not the same.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:54 AM

20 posts, read 57,773 times
Forget Cal City...My Mom has been there for 30 years or more...last year a bullet went through her house and through her bedroon dresser 5 feet from were she sleeps. Lots of crime from the gang bangers. I wish I could get her out of there but she won't leave. I hate going there to visit as I feel it is not safe.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,056 times
Contagis Blondness we have had similar child(hood's) except I'm white and still live there!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 PM

10 posts, read 77,514 times
Yeah I grew up there too and the town has changed a bunch. Back in the dark days of the "strip" I was a child. A child who would ride a schwin stingray up and down state street at all hours of the night. It was a livelly spot. But during that whole time not one adult would even try to attack, rob, or even be the least bit agressive to me. That was back when morals didnt allow adults to pick on children. Well as you all know morals have changed with time. People have changed. My Ma still lives on the gold coast and until a year or two ago, she didnt know what a gunshot sounded like. Now she does. It is a shame.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,479 times
All I have to say is White Flight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs