Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 12,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by va235 View Post
I am 26 and was raised in Cal Cty. I lived on Pulaski Rd (same street where the police, library, city hall is on) and I have have been away at school for the past 7 years and unfortunately my family is still here and I hate it. I fight with my mother on the necessity to move out. One of our tenants just got mugged this past weekend at 6:30 am while he was warming him car. Some Mexican gang-bangers forced him to drive him to Chicago and rubbed him while they had a gun pointed at him. I always wonder when enough is going to be enough. I feel the only way my family will move out is if something bad happens to us kids. Even our relatives don't like visiting us from the West Side (Naperville) area. It's sad and embarrassing. I know my family doesn't have the money to move since they are bad with their finances. It is just sad. My dad doesn't want to admit it either since he is basing his Cal cty property for his retirement. I don't know what to do or how to motivate them to move. So, please don't move here. It doesn't matter what race you are, it's not the same.
By the way these comentarie it is racism, because the mexican people it is the less person that it is leaving on Calumet city, and usually the mexican people leaves working, it is thrue that tere are people in the street but there are some latin persons and the most it is black, I don't like to appear like racism too, but this it thrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,760 times
Default Cal Sh*tty

DO NOT move to Cal City. I was born in Hammond and raised in Glenwood, with family in both Lansing and Cal City. River Oaks Mall is a haven for gangs and thugs (especially after dusk)...my grandmother used to live between Wentworth and State Line Ave, and that's gone downhill extremely quickly. A friend of my father-in-law's was killed at a car wash because he hesitated in giving robbers the keys to his SUV. My aunt's house in Lansing (been there since '56) is now next door to a convicted sex offender, and is across the alley from a well-known drug house (she lives just south of the LSG-CC border). In addition, my wife's friend's father is a CC cop, and we hear all his horror stories. TF North is an academic joke of a high school, and TF South is a small notch just above average. If you absolutely MUST live in Cal City, there is a group of newer houses off the northeast corner of Burnham and 159th St, and even then, prepare to send your kids to private high schools like Marian Catholic or Mt. Carmel.

We now live in Homewood and are leaving the Chicago area entirely next month due to a combination of poor schools, rising crime rate, and unbelievably high county and state tax rate.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:26 PM

162 posts, read 800,156 times
Cal City depends on who you are and what your values are.

If you are white, do not move there.

If you are black and value education and safety - do not move there.

If you are black and do not care if your kids go to good/safe schools, it is a good choice.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,727 times
Calumet City is no longer a safe place to live. Unfortunately, I am one of the older residents and can't afford to move. We have no close grocery store anymore due to all the robberies, it is definitely not safe to go to the Mall over here, shootings & robberies are not printed in our newspapers but we learn of them by word of mouth. Our mayor keeps people from running against her by paying a lawyer 1.5 million a year to disqualify new people from running if they pose a threat to her victory. Seems like we have no democratic policies, we have to vote for the present mayor whether we like it or not. I would never want to raise children here because the streets are not safe, the schools are not safe, drug dealings run rampant, we don't have enough police to even make a dent in all the crime here. Please find somewhere safer to raise your children

Old 02-21-2009, 11:32 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,999,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giftsgalore60534 View Post
Well I would do that HOWEVER it does not give me what I want it will ONLY give me the negative side of things hence why I did this post to find out the thoughts on those who already live there...
no, it gives you the news that comes out of there. There are more negatives than positives when it comes to Cal City. Basically, it's your average cook county south suburb and that means it is the worst that Chicagoland has to offer.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,145,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
no, it gives you the news that comes out of there. There are more negatives than positives when it comes to Cal City. Basically, it's your average cook county south suburb and that means it is the worst that Chicagoland has to offer.
If you consider Cal City the worst Chicagoland have to offer, then you must haven't been all over Chicagoland.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
If you consider Cal City the worst Chicagoland have to offer, then you must haven't been all over Chicagoland.
that's your assumption (and i can see why you and others may think that based off of the way I worded my post), as in I was equating south cook county burbs to all the other areas of chicagoland. it does not get any worse than south cook county suburbs when it comes to this area. And I'm surprised you don't know which towns I think are the worst of Chicagoland. You and I both post in the same threads. My top 3 includes all south suburbs that reside in Cook County (shocking, isn't it)?

3rd worst town in Chicagoland: Chicago Heights (police turn a blind eye to prostitution (Chicago Rd.) and Drug Sales (Division and Wentworth) also the gangs are out of control as well as the schools being horrible)

2nd worst town in Chicagoalnd: Harvey (what makes this town so bad is not just all the boarded up houses which towns like chicago heights have as well, but it's the leadership at the very top! it starts with the god awful mayor and general failed leadership. the citizens accept this which means the town actually has ZERO/no/nadda/zilch hope. There is no hope for this town).

Worst town possibly in the nation: Ford Heights (police force and order non-existant)

of course Gary is up there but now we are crossing the border.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:55 AM

273 posts, read 705,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Oh, the guy who thinks everything south of Chicago is bad.
Can you please STOP talking about ALL of the south suburbs like that. From reading your post you act like Orland Park, Tinley Park, Palos Hills, Lynwood, Homewood, Flossmoor, Hinsdale, Evergreen Park, Olympia Fields, Chicago Ridge, and any other decent burb out here is a crazy ghetto full of animals killing each other. Some of us who live out here are getting fed up with your comments. Like Chicagoland told you on the Country Club Hills thread, STOP EXAGGERATING ON THE SOUTH SUBURBS !!!!!!! Your worse than Chummy Waters.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 AM

Orland Park, Tinley Park? These towns extend into Will County plus they are South West suburbs and not directly southern like Robbins, Calumet City, Harvey, Chicago Heights, etc. You know very well the majority of southern cook county suburbs are the pitts. Why mention Lynwood? It isn't exactly a shining example of a great town. It's changing, just like Lansing. face it, some area of chicagoland has to be the worst and it is the Southern Cook County suburbs and not the Southwestern suburbs. Capiche?

And if you are getting fed up with comments that talk about the truths of the southern suburbs in cook county, then you need to address the root of the problem and not the ones commenting on them. how silly is that? it's like your response was that of a 5 year old. don't shoot the messenger, pal.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 PM

273 posts, read 705,520 times
Southwestern suburbs are near Joliet. Orland and Tinley for the most part are in Cook County. (or the new Lincoln County when people out here vote for it.) I thought they were Southwest burbs too until another poster said they were not. The thing I don't like with you is that you call ALL the south burbs in Cook County the pits or you say their changing. Most of the ghetto burbs are NORTH of I-294 except for Chicago Heights and Ford Heights. Your post are some what like this....

The Cook County south suburbs are a huge ghetto. There are murders all the time out there.

Here's a better way to say it. EXAMPLE:

Chicago Heights is a huge ghetto. There are murders all the time out there.

Another bad example:

All tall people are good at tennis.

The correct way:

Some tall people are good at tennis.

This way, your statements are not a large un-true generalization.

Back to your question...

The reason why I mentioned Lynwood is because, to me its a wonderful community. For us to be connected with BOTH Chicago Heights AND Ford Heights, I think we're doing pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs