U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 10:39 AM

18 posts, read 111,572 times

Advertisements

Ok we saw a house in Calumet City around 159th and Webb and we LOVED it... We have heard the schools are good there (neighbors) the area for the most part looks nice (minus a few buildings) but I would like some INSIDE info from those of you who currently live IN the 159th and Webb area what are your thoughts on the people, what is the crime rate like, what are the elementry schools like, how about the mall there??? I want the ins and outs of daily life down there because as far as from what we have seen we are ready to take the house there... So please let us know what you know!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 10:59 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,185,840 times
I would recomend going to chicagotribune.com and doing a news search on calumet city.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:19 AM

Well I would do that HOWEVER it does not give me what I want it will ONLY give me the negative side of things hence why I did this post to find out the thoughts on those who already live there...

Old 08-16-2006, 11:57 AM
NSH

my cousin's wife's family lives out that way. So yes I am familiar with the area. Their neighbor was syphoning gas out of a motocross bike in the living room (you know an everyday occurence) when he choked, and you guessed it, spit all the gas out into the ash tray with a lit cigarette and all over his 2 year old brother. Nothing happened thank god except the Mom got so freaked out he beat the living daylights out of his older son, who then proceeded to tear up the living room with his motorcycle. Just one of many stories you can tell only when you live in calumet city.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:16 PM

ok well thats just one story... Do you happen to be willing to share other stories not JUST the few bad ones you know of???

Seeing as I can tell you that in Lyons (where almost NOTHING happens good OR bad) my neighbor was arrested for beating her daughter because she could not "get her math homework right"...

My Grandfather has lived in Oak Lawn my Mom's whole life and his bestfriend was put in jail for beating his son to death back in the '80's... and in the '80's Oak Lawn was "one of the best places to live for families"

Basicly I am just pointing out that stories about dysfunctional families are EVERYWHERE in the best and worst places on this earth...

What I want to know about is what is the quality of life like what types of jobs are around there what are the "majority" of kids (under 6) like there... What types of community things are there... Do they have any play groups... do they have activities at the library... What is the library like there??? What are the Grade School and Preschool teachers like there??? Do they have a community center??? What are the parks like??? What are the local hospitals??? How good are the doctors at the local hospitals??? Do you prefer one hospital over another??? Is one store better than another??? Is there one park that your kids love over the rest??? Is there one activity at any centers that your kids prefer over the rest???

Things such as this...

Day to day life stuff...

If someone feels they need to hurt their kids because they *****ed up then that is on them and let the system deal with that... Yes it is unfortunate that person did that and yes it is unfortunate that the poor kid got gas on him BUT that does not tell me what the NEIGHBORHOOD as a whole is like that tells me about one family and only one family...

Heck if you looked at my Mom to represent Berwyn you would think it was filled with white people who have no sense of style and drive crappy cars and are nosey, mean and yell alot...

However that is not a representation of the town as a whole because it is a great mix of nationalities lots of people have a great sense of style and many people drive some really awesome cars and most people mind their own business (for the most part anyhow) and a good amount of the people who live here are personable and nice...

Maybe now that I expanded what I ment maybe now I will get a bit more information aout Calumet City...

Last edited by giftsgalore60534; 08-16-2006 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 08-16-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSH View Post
my cousin's wife's family lives out that way. So yes I am familiar with the area. Their neighbor was syphoning gas out of a motocross bike in the living room (you know an everyday occurence)
Oh and BTW actually he may have been prepping the bike to be put up if it was not in use which when not in use you DO need to syphon the gas out or else it turns into sludge and messes up the engine beyond repair... (my cousin does dirt bike racing)

He just chose a REALLY bad place to do it at... He SHOULD have been doing it in a garage or driveway that is what my cousin does at the end of racing each year... but he happens to have $$$ from racing that he has a thing that does the syphoning for him so he does not do it for himself anymore...

Last edited by giftsgalore60534; 08-16-2006 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: mis-spelled word

Old 08-16-2006, 01:33 PM
NSH

I have been to the Cal City American Legion Hall, that is really nice. I will try to get in touch with my cousin and find out more info from his in-laws for ya.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:39 PM

Thanks so much! If anything if you could have them e-mail me that would be awesome!!! my e-mail is giftsgalore60534@yahoo.com

Old 08-28-2006, 09:43 PM

6 posts, read 31,020 times
Default I grew up in Cal City.

I grew up in Cal City. I'm 20 now, so it wasn't all that long ago.

Steer clear of this area.

By age 8 I had been mugged, they stole my polly pocket.
By age 15 I had been beat to ****.
By the time I left at age 16, I had seen more than any 16-year-old should have known in their lifetime.

Our neighbors were great, though. We used to share dinners, someone on the street would cook a BIG meal and share it, because buying in bulk is cheaper than otherwise. We did okay, although financially we were struggling. People in general are very friendly, and if you're "their type" of people, then you'll do okay. (We called ourselves people of the "three Bs" - Broke, Black, and Bitter. It was a running neighborhood joke.)

To be honest, though, there are better places. The library is understaffed and awful small when compared to those that I've seen in other Chicago-area libraries. You're probably better off living in the city. I used to try and sign up for summer reading programs and the like. Suffice to say, I never actually got to join one in my years in the area.

If you want to live in Cal City, that's fine, but here's the deal:

Equip your children with handguns. Don't let them leave the house.
Fence-in your yard, if you have one. Metal bars work great around windows and doors.
Don't allow yourself a mailbox, or a mail slot. Go ahead and get a box at the post office instead.
Invest in bullet-proof glass.
Don't carry a wallet, or money, ever. When you go out on the street, look as grizzled as possible to avoid being mugged.

I spent a childhood in Calumet City. I feel no nostalgia whenever I get the pleasure of driving through it. The day I left, I never looked back.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContagisBlondnes View Post
I grew up in Cal City. I'm 20 now, so it wasn't all that long ago.

Steer clear of this area.

By age 8 I had been mugged, they stole my polly pocket.
By age 15 I had been beat to ****.
By the time I left at age 16, I had seen more than any 16-year-old should have known in their lifetime.

Our neighbors were great, though. We used to share dinners, someone on the street would cook a BIG meal and share it, because buying in bulk is cheaper than otherwise. We did okay, although financially we were struggling. People in general are very friendly, and if you're "their type" of people, then you'll do okay. (We called ourselves people of the "three Bs" - Broke, Black, and Bitter. It was a running neighborhood joke.)

To be honest, though, there are better places. The library is understaffed and awful small when compared to those that I've seen in other Chicago-area libraries. You're probably better off living in the city. I used to try and sign up for summer reading programs and the like. Suffice to say, I never actually got to join one in my years in the area.

If you want to live in Cal City, that's fine, but here's the deal:

Equip your children with handguns. Don't let them leave the house.
Fence-in your yard, if you have one. Metal bars work great around windows and doors.
Don't allow yourself a mailbox, or a mail slot. Go ahead and get a box at the post office instead.
Invest in bullet-proof glass.
Don't carry a wallet, or money, ever. When you go out on the street, look as grizzled as possible to avoid being mugged.

I spent a childhood in Calumet City. I feel no nostalgia whenever I get the pleasure of driving through it. The day I left, I never looked back.

I lived in Lansing, the town immediately south of Cal City, for all of my life until a few months ago when I moved to Indiana. The area is going completely south. Even Lansing is now going down the tubes as all of the decent people are leaving for Indiana or back up north. I delievered pizza to the area for a summer to get money for school and in only a three month span two of my co-workers were held up on deliveries, one by knife and one by gun. The only people left in Cal City that are decent are the ones selling their homes currently and those too poor or too old to move. DON'T move to Cal city or anywhere in that area. Look to the west at towns like Orland Park, Frankfurt and such. They are good upstanding towns, a bit more expensive, but that is kind of a pertective sheild. Take the advice of people who lived there, and don't move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or