U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:49 AM

3,969 posts, read 3,859,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Allen,

Just because you think schools do not matter does not mean people do not buy based upon schools. Schools and proximity to transportation (highway, train) are my number one considerations when buying a home to raise a family.

Chuckcity,

As you are a realtor do you see a difference in the priorities blacks vs whites place on education when buying a place. Clearly, a person like northwest (black with african heritage) places the value of schools high when buying. Why do others not care and even go so far as Allen to state that schools do not play as big of a factor as they do.

Also, I am tired of this multi-generational wealth thing. And yes I am a beneficiary of it (eventually on paper though I have received nothing to date as it is all in trust). Many of our billionaires are first generation.

Why do we not see more billionaires among all the races? How many dotcom billionaires are there? They seem to all look like mark zuckerman, bill gates, larry ellison, steve jobbs, michael dell, mark cuban. See a trend here? It is not the flashy wannabees like JayZ, pDiddy or players like Jordan, woods that are the truly wealthy. This is because these guys are entertainers and do not really make or produce anything apart from what they do in the studio or the sports arena or course.

Also, among these billionaires IQs are extremely high with many being computer geniuses who dropped out of our most elite universities. (Mark Cuban actually went to IU and I believe he graduated).

I think in the coming years you will see more and more billionaires from different races as we already have a number of indian and arab and asian billionaires. There will be more hispanic billionaires and black billionaires though it will be interesting to see how many of those are african american.

Apart from Oprah and Johnson (founded BET and was worth 2 Billion until divorce) I don't know of any african american billionaires. This is really odd. You would think there would be at least a few dotcom african american billionaires will the rise of things like facebook and ebay (meg whitman, one of the few self-made female billionaires).
Sports are entertainment. Music is entertainment AND art.

I'm just saying. Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 08:13 AM

If the only people who get adequate schooling are those who can afford private schools then our democracy fails. Everyone should have the right to an education.

If there's a problem with the local schools, try working at getting it improved instead of removing your kid from the community and placing them in a private school. This is running from the problem, in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
For example the local public grade school that my daughter would be attending if I chose that option is a great school that has accomplished alot, it was awarded the blue ribbon last year. Even though it is located in olympia fields location wise most of it's students do not live in olympia fields, but in the surrounding area.
Yep, I lived on the north side of Park Forest and attended Arcadia Elementary in the early 90s..

Last edited by urza216; 10-30-2010 at 08:24 AM..

Old 10-30-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
A school with 40 percent low income does not stay blue ribbon for long.
The great teachers, decent funding and involved parents who attend parent-teacher conferences are why Arcadia Elementary STILL is Blue Ribbon. They just received the award last year.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:47 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,709,387 times
How long do you think a school with 40 percent low income stays blue ribbon? How about when the school is 50 or 60 percent low income?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:34 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,847,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Well I have to be honest. The statement that you just wrote is a rant, you are from indiana as most of the folks commenting are, and broad generalizations are being made regarding race. That is why I called this yet another racist rants of indiana thread. I think you have asserted more than once that munster has "great" public schools. Well how then do you explain why homes in munster are not any more expensive than they are in flossmoor olympia fields, homewood or matteson?
That is easy. Indiana building codes have NEVER been as strict as Illinois. Homes in Illinois typically cost more to build on average than in Indiana. This is the one MAJOR difference between the two states. If you take the same EXACT home from Munster and build it in Orland, it will cost a lot more. But guess what? The same home in Munster will cost LESS than in Homewood, Matteson, and Olympia Fields, and usually probably the same in Flossmoor. And I have proof:

Newer Munster Home - $950,000 (this one is even a little older, but still relatively new)

Newer Olympia Fields Home - $399,500

Newer Matteson Home - $400,000

Newer Homewood Home - $524,900 (this is the biggest comp)

Newer Flossmoor Home - $780,000 (bigger and newer than Munster Home comp)

I should also state that the only towns that had homes listed above $600,000 was Munster and Flossmoor.

Also regarding your level of education question. Although Munster has been an educated white collar town for a long time, Flossmoor and Olympia Fields have been for a longer time AND more educated. Not only that, but many residents in Munster were initially blue collar. Initial residents in Flossmoor and Olympia Fields were white collar. So it would make sense to have higher levels of educated residents. But as people moved away from the South Suburbs, many of those residents fled to NWI and that is how the level of educated residents increased and perhaps why the property values did as well.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:42 AM

829 posts, read 1,043,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
That is easy. Indiana building codes have NEVER been as strict as Illinois. Homes in Illinois typically cost more to build on average than in Indiana. This is the one MAJOR difference between the two states. If you take the same EXACT home from Munster and build it in Orland, it will cost a lot more. But guess what? The same home in Munster will cost LESS than in Homewood, Matteson, and Olympia Fields, and usually probably the same in Flossmoor. And I have proof:

Newer Munster Home - $950,000 (this one is even a little older, but still relatively new)

Newer Olympia Fields Home - $399,500

Newer Matteson Home - $400,000

Newer Homewood Home - $524,900 (this is the biggest comp)

Newer Flossmoor Home - $780,000 (bigger and newer than Munster Home comp)

I should also state that the only towns that had homes listed above $600,000 was Munster and Flossmoor.

Also reagrding your level of education question. Although Munster has been a white collar town for a long time, Flossmoor and Olympia Fields have been for a longer time AND more educated. So it would make sense to have higher levels of educated residents. But as people moved away from the South Suburbs, many of those residents fled to NWI and that is how the level of educated residents increased and perhaps why the property values did as well. Median existing home sale prices are not any higher in Munster and tht is a fact.

Northwest indiana, that just isn't an accurate way to determine anything and I think you are smart enough to know this. I am talking about ACTUAL prices of existing homes sold. Not what someone list there home for in a down market and hopes that they get for it. Median prices of existing homes sold in munster aren't any higher and that is a fact. And the lack of alot of upscale homes currently on the market in a high income area is actually a good thing during a down economy when those homes would sell for less. And it's reassuring to know that very few of the highest income homeowners are selling.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-30-2010 at 10:05 AM..

Old 10-30-2010, 10:02 AM

829 posts, read 1,043,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Deflection.

Not at all. Munster is the highest income area in northwest indiana. I think it is a very legitimate question.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:22 AM

3,345 posts, read 4,256,086 times
Quote:
You said you moved to Olympia Fields when you were a kid. Where were you born? Just wondering.
Huh? I thought he was a HF grad?

Old 10-30-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
You seem to not care or do not know about how other races (cultures too) see things.
I'm white and not only do I disagree but I'm not sure where you got that from. I find myself agreeing with Allen a lot of the time.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:29 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,709,387 times
He mentioned last week how he came to HF in middle school. I do not know where Allen is originally from.

Allen,

Please clarify where you are from. I ask to determine if you are long-time resident or a transplant from another area (I am). Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs