U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-30-2010, 01:44 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,548,286 times
I didn't say he was mulatto, simply that he was 77 percent african genetically.

Please reread the article you submitted which says blacks are 17 to 18 percent white. Interesting article, which does back your 80 percent assertion. Study was done in 2002 and only involved a few hundred individuals. I did not know that Tiger Woods is only 25 percent black. I though he was half.

Interesting article though.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-30-2010, 01:53 PM

3,312 posts, read 4,020,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
The average property taxes alone are $700-$1300 per month in most cases for olympia fields. .
If my property taxes were in in excess of $10K a year and my local school was as poorly performing as Rich Central I would be ....

1. Seriously raising some hell on a local level to garner enough parental support to change the situation

Or ...

2. Calling Two Men & A Truck, ordering packing peanuts & cardboard boxes by the ton in an effort to get my kids rear ends out of that school district and into one that was rated higher

Unread 10-30-2010, 02:20 PM

829 posts, read 980,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
If my property taxes were in in excess of $10K a year and my local school was as poorly performing as Rich Central I would be ....

1. Seriously raising some hell on a local level to garner enough parental support to change the situation

Or ...

2. Calling Two Men & A Truck, ordering packing peanuts & cardboard boxes by the ton in an effort to get my kids rear ends out of that school district and into one that was rated higher

1. I am in no way against positive improvement. We have actually gotten improvement and are demanding even more improvement. We have gotten a new charter high school just this year that will be expanding to accomodate even more students. We have gotten a complete overhaul of the grade schools, which are now award winning. We have gotten more constructive pressure from the state to assist the high school to make improvements or lose more funding. The charter school was paid for out of the high schools funding not an increase in taxes.

2. The flight scenario doesn't appear to be the best option or the direction that most folks are headed. I see more professional young and middle aged couples with kids moving in and they are replacing some of the retired folks looking to move out more than anything. And urza did make a good point that you guys don't speak of the whites in the area, as if they are invisible. I think because professional whites choosing to continue to live in the area is so contradictory to the principal argument being made on this thread. The fact is white professionals are still moving to the area, just not in as large of numbers as black professionals. No one likes to mention this fact at all and whites are not spoken of or acknowledged in any way. I had a chat with an early 30's couple walking there dog in my neighborhood last week who had just moved to the area.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-30-2010 at 02:36 PM..

Unread 10-30-2010, 02:34 PM

3,109 posts, read 4,483,211 times
So there are 4 people on here(including myself) that happen to be born at the same hospital? haha

My grandparents moved to Harvey when it was comparable to Homewood(and white) around 1963-65. My grandmother and grandfather before the move lived in the Chatham(and Bronzeville before that) and Near Northside(Cabrini) area perspectively. Their house was built. My grandmother has a masters degree and my grandfather owns a electric company. So to what Humboldt is saying, I guess that makes them first wave African-Americans and my block is mostly old timers and the middle aged. As far as birthplace, technically I'm first generation Harvey-nite born. My mother and Uncle grew up in Harvey for 99% of their life, but was born in the city. My sister also is Harvey raised, but she just happen to be born at a city hospital.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-30-2010 at 03:01 PM..

Unread 10-30-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
We left because the schools started to decline ... and I don't want my kids to stay in a declining school district out of principle. Thanks, but no thanks. We fought our fight to move UP to Homewood, I wasn't about to continue to fight for a quality education when our wallets said we didn't have to.

The changing demographics had nothing to do with our leaving ... in fact, I don't think the demographics were really changing at the point that we left. We left for eduational reasons mainly. That and our dollar went farther across the state line. (We weren't tied to Chicago for employment either.)

I just think that you moved. Nothing more and nothing less. I have moved several times for various reasons also. Usually, for the same reason that you mentioned, for a better option. That was your decision and is respected. Other professionals decided to move here after you left. The mix of residents who live here now are more involved and more concerned then alot of the older residents or previous residents were. The push to improve schools really just took hold a few years ago, and it coincided with a new wave of young professional african american couples with kids moving into the area like myself. They wanted to and needed to use the public schools unlike some of the older more affluent residents who's kids are grown or in private high school. To be honest, maybe the newer residents like myself are better suited to actually make improvements and insure that the area continues moving in the right direction. All I was saying is maybe you could be a little more informed about what actually is going on in an area instead of generalizing everything. Complaints that are heard and voiced appropriately is constructive criticism. And personally, I have been very impressed with the academic progress seen in the area over the past few years.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-30-2010 at 03:37 PM..

Unread 10-30-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Make no mistake, I'm very informed about the area. And I've posted facts time and again about the decline of HF. You choose to cherry pick the facts you like and dismiss & ignore those you don't.

"Generalizing everything"? Give me a break, allen. That's far from accurate.

HF is a nice school, but I was speaking in particular about my area olympia fields. The academic improvements that we have made. With opening a new charter high school this year, and drastically improving the grade schools over the past few years to the point that one of our grade schools was awarded the blue ribbon last year. That is what I mean by generalizing.

Unread 10-30-2010, 03:50 PM

3,109 posts, read 4,483,211 times
Chuckity,

Your daughter have a C-D account? I was speaking of my family.

Harvey was 93% white in 1960 and 97% white in 1930. My source is Chicago encyclopedia. So by time my family moved here (1963-65) it was still white as Orland Park. I have my mothers year book(if I can find it) from 1975-78 and there were a lot of white kids at Thornton. A lot of these white kids could've been from Riverdale, Dixmoor and Markham because I figure by the late 70s, Harvey was more AA than white.

Harvey for the most part is a dump now, but I don't think its stretch to say it was comparable to Homewood in its prime. There are certain streets and blocks that would make that imaginable like those hoouses on 155th St. and some homes on Dells way where the mayor lives.

Unread 10-30-2010, 04:06 PM

3,312 posts, read 4,020,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Chuckity,

Your daughter have a C-D account? I was speaking of my family.

Harvey was 93% white in 1960 and 97% white in 1930. My source is Chicago encyclopedia. So by time my family moved here (1963-65) it was still white as Orland Park. I have my mothers year book(if I can find it) from 1975-78 and there were a lot of white kids at Thornton. A lot of these white kids could've been from Riverdale, Dixmoor and Markham because I figure by the late 70s, Harvey was more AA than white.

Harvey for the most part is a dump now, but I don't think its stretch to say it was comparable to Homewood in its prime. There are certain streets and blocks that would make that imaginable like those hoouses on 155th St. and some homes on Dells way where the mayor lives.
It was a bit of a joke that my daughter was also born at Ingalls, but I wasn't like most of the people in this thread. Sorry you didn't catch that.

I agree that there was a time that Harvey was mostly white - but there have always been black families in Harvey. And speaking of yearbooks, I have the 1958 Thorntonite yearbook sitting right here ... my husband's family has a long history with Harvey and I can assure you, that it was never comparable to Homewood. Homewood was most definitely considered a step up, just as South Holland was as well.

Unread 10-30-2010, 07:45 PM

10,291 posts, read 12,619,097 times
Let's try wandering back on topic for awile?

Unread 10-31-2010, 09:25 AM

1,270 posts, read 1,674,346 times
For ANYONE dead-set on looking to move to a south suburb of Chicago (east of I-57) and nowhere else...

My top choices for middle-income to upper-income buyers (in order from most favorite to least):

Flossmoor
Homewood
Olympia Fields
Lynwood
South Holland
Matteson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs