Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:44 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I am taking this to mean you want to be within an hour of the city by train. You could go into Vernon Hills, Mundelein, Libertyville. Vernon Hills has some new housing in your price range, same with Mundelein. They are due north of the city in Lake County.

Also possibilities are Des Plaines and Mount Prospect.
...the data fromIllinois Interactive Report Cards suggest there is a significant fall off in performance in some of the town listed above.

I would simply shop for the BEST TOWN I could afford even if that means buying an older smaller home in an otherwise very desirable area.

In most of the desirable towns $300k will not go very far at all. Renting may be a good option depending on your long term plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:05 AM

23 posts, read 31,629 times
Thank you guys! Hopefully we'll be ok!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,729,942 times
Personally I'd look at Arlington Heights, the express trains from here can get you into the city in less than 35 minutes, there are lots of good schools (check your boundaries carefully though) and lots of access to shopping and highways. There are homes in your price range in AH that would be more than adequate.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:02 PM

829 posts, read 2,077,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...the data fromIllinois Interactive Report Cards suggest there is a significant fall off in performance in some of the town listed above.

I would simply shop for the BEST TOWN I could afford even if that means buying an older smaller home in an otherwise very desirable area.

In most of the desirable towns $300k will not go very far at all. Renting may be a good option depending on your long term plans.

Price inflation is not something that a current home buyer in this downward headed housing market should just accept and buy into. Making some compromises on area is the more rational approach. But, I do agree with you that renting is not a bad option.

Last edited by allen2323; 11-04-2010 at 02:18 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 06:26 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,348,799 times
I'd say Vernon Hills

Old 11-05-2010, 11:32 PM

36 posts, read 105,325 times
Check out the suburban school listings at Illinois Loop: Math, Town by Town -- although that page is primarily focused on math issues in each individual suburban district, that can be a big tip-off on the substance and rigor of the district in general.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:23 AM

60 posts, read 182,094 times
I would suggest the village of Barrington and the house located at 315 N Cook street. Easy walk to Metra and schools. Great Schools, Great Taxes, Great Community. I am not a realtor but I love this house.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsiders View Post
I would suggest the village of Barrington and the house located at 315 N Cook street. Easy walk to Metra and schools. Great Schools, Great Taxes, Great Community. I am not a realtor but I love this house.

Barrington is a very nice upper middle class and affluent area. Looking at the home's interior photos from the listing it appears to be in great shape and newly renovated. With a current listing price of $309,000 it is likely that the home will end up selling at or below it's 1999 sales price of $290,000, almost 12 years ago. And well below the sales price of $368,000 that the current owners paid for the home in 2004. Are the public schools in barrington the reason for such a big decline? I thought barrington had top notch public schools. As I am sure most on this board would agree that how great an areas public schools are is the biggest factor in determining home price appeciation for the area.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:04 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
Default My thoughts on the losing suggested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Barrington is a very nice upper middle class and affluent area. Looking at the home's interior photos from the listing it appears to be in great shape and newly renovated. With a current listing price of $309,000 it is likely that the home will end up selling at or below it's 1999 sales price of $290,000, almost 12 years ago. And well below the sales price of $368,000 that the current owners paid for the home in 2004. Are the public schools in barrington the reason for such a big decline? I thought barrington had top notch public schools. As I am sure most on this board would agree that how great an areas public schools are is the biggest factor in determining home price appeciation for the area.
WHOOPS TITLE TYPO -- SHOULD BE LISTING NOT LOSING!

Firstly the schools are a plus in Barrington, most houses in that area benefit greatly from the school situation.

The kind of buyer that the listing would appeal to just has MANY MORE. Options today than a short time ago.

The house appears to be in very good shape. The previous / current owners have done a top notch job staging it. There are just a lot more choices, some that might have a bigger kitchen, some that might have a fully finished basement, some that might have a bigger rear yard with the coveted "kitchen look out window, some that might have more bathrooms, some that might be a little further away from the commercial section of town, etc...

For the right price this still makes a lot of sense. It really does not take too much to over look the short comings when you can leave lots of money in your pocket for other things...

Old 11-06-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Firstly the schools are a plus in Barrington, most houses in that area benefit greatly from the school situation.

The kind of buyer that the listing would appeal to just has MANY MORE. Options today than a short time ago.

The house appears to be in very good shape. The previous / current owners have done a top notch job staging it. There are just a lot more choices, some that might have a bigger kitchen, some that might have a fully finished basement, some that might have a bigger rear yard with the coveted "kitchen look out window, some that might have more bathrooms, some that might be a little further away from the commercial section of town, etc...

For the right price this still makes a lot of sense. It really does not take too much to over look the short comings when you can leave lots of money in your pocket for other things...
But it sold for $290,000 in 1999 almost 12 years ago, and judging by the current asking price of $309,000 will probably sell at or below the 1999 price this time. The condition of this home appears to be in the best shape of it's 92 year existence. It appears the current homeowners put alot of money into updating the home. The home probably never had a finished basement or an extra bathroom. I was just commenting on the sales price from almost 12 years ago. And the lack of real price appreciation.

Last edited by allen2323; 11-06-2010 at 12:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs