Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 01:53 PM

7 posts, read 17,130 times

Advertisements

I, too, am moving to Lisle from Ft. Wayne, IN, for a job transfer. I have gathered from previous posts that we have to live in a suburb on the Metra line. I have made a list of suburbs to visit, recommened on this forum. My question is, if we choose Elburn, what would the train commute time be? What if we choose Naperville? Also, what do people usually do when they have reached their stop (in our case Lisle) to get to the office? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 04:14 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,768,209 times
The metra line from elburn doesn't run through lisle. Also you don't have to live in a suburb that has a metra line. If you are working in lisle, i would just stay in the area such as naperville, downers grove, lisle itself, woodridge,...all are great cities.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:25 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,018,004 times
Default No real reason to live in a town served by Metra if job is in Lisle...

The majority of employment in Lisle is confined to few corporate campus type developments. All but a handful of folks drive to their jobs in Lisle.

If you want to live in Elburn for some special reason you would have a medium longish drive.

Living closer to your Jon probably makes mkre sense.

Of course housing costs are probably a bit higher but with all the distressed selling you might be pleasantly surprised by how far your housing dollar goes compared to the situation of even a few years ago.

Generally, when you live further out the trade-offs that you should consider include the relative paucity of jobs near by, the more volatile housing prices / taxes, relative schools performance, and overall distance from amenities of the region.

Lisle's corporate campuses are fairly straightforward to reach from most locations in about a 25-30 mile radius, with a decent mix of tollways and surface streets keeping most points inside the radius to under an hour in normal rush hour traffic.

If you choose to live in a town with a Metra line you do expand the options for getting into the Loop, which tends to improve resale value. Further, most towns with good Metra access tend to have a higher percentage of well educated / well off white collar workers which has a positive correlations with high performing schools.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:41 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,616,020 times
People emphasize living near Metra if you need to commute to your job in the city. The metra doesn't really work for commuting from suburb to suburb as there really isn't local transportation to get you from the station to your job location. Depending on where in Lisle you will be working, there are many suburbs that would offer a 30 minute or less commute.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,516,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The metra line from elburn doesn't run through lisle. Also you don't have to live in a suburb that has a metra line. If you are working in lisle, i would just stay in the area such as naperville, downers grove, lisle itself, woodridge,...all are great cities.
I agree you dont have to live on the metra line, however if you have two comprable areas and one is near metra it is a plus. With how often people change jobs these days who knows if youll be working in the city a year from now and being near metra would be beneficial for that. Also for resale being near metra is good b/c so many people commute to the city.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:20 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,885,757 times
Again you can't easily use the train to get to work as there would not be a way to get from the station to your job. Most people drive to work. The train lines generally serve commuters that are going into Chicago. A very small percentage of rail travelers can get on in one stop and get off at another and walk to a job that is outside of downtown. If you are working in Lisle, why not live around there. There are many lovely suburbs quite near by such as Naperville, Glen ellyn, Wheaton, and Lisle itself.
]

Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,055 times
Hi all. I may be transferring to Lisle and I'm interested in your opinions/recommendations concerning apartments for rent in the Lisle/Naperville area. I will be there for at least one year and since I already own a home in another state, I only want to rent while I'm in Lisle. Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:30 PM

48 posts, read 81,429 times
I currently live in Four Lakes in Lisle. I have lived in 3 different Condo's (before & after the big house - then downsizing again). Currently we rent a privately owned one bedroom for $875 a month and love it. We are right behind the Pub and ski hill and enjoy all but one of our neighbors. I think most 2 bedrooms go for around 1100-1200. Four pools, pub, ski hill, paddle boats and most people mind their own business. Even a little store on the grounds. (very expensive)

Quick access to 88 & 355 along with rt 53 running right past the community. I work in Bolingbrook and it takes me about 12 minutes to get to work every day.

Good luck -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs